Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,621 of 7,916
does the pro5 have an amp like the v10

now it is really interesting to read which is upper edge in sound quality , i own the v10 and its dam good

i think lg has better software update than meizu and mayeb the lg v10 will have better xda support

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,622 of 7,916
does the pro5 have an amp like the v10

now it is really interesting to read which is upper edge in sound quality , i own the v10 and its dam good

i think lg has better software update than meizu and mayeb the lg v10 will have better xda support

XDA folks are mainly from the US. Sure V10 will have more developments :D. Pro5 has 2 amplification opamp chips I think, not too sure, but it doesn't use ESS opamp as V10. Supposedly Pro5 audio hardware is more sophisticated than V10 :D. But it doesn't support USA lte

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,623 of 7,916
XDA folks are mainly from the US. Sure V10 will have more developments
biggrin.gif
. Pro5 has 2 amplification opamp chips I think, not too sure, but it doesn't use ESS opamp as V10. Supposedly Pro5 audio hardware is more sophisticated than V10
biggrin.gif
. But it doesn't support USA lte

i think one big factor in sq is the amp so not have the ess opamp could translate in lower sound quality than the v10 as well

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,624 of 7,916
I used Meizu MX4 Pro and music play very good. But mx4 pro can not play with higher impedance headset
Meizu said Pro 5 can play with HD650 (300 ohms)
The amp is needed, if there is excellent performance on the large-impedance advanced headset. The circuit design is more important than hardware for the amp. The Solo amp by Graham Slee from England shocked the Hi-Fi world because of its ingenious circuitry and excellent effects; so much so that it is commonly used in the high-end HD 6 series high-end headsets by Sennheiser. We learned this way of thinking and applied it to the Hi-Fi phone system to make the PRO 5 sound field wide and open. The musical quality is crisp and lively whether it be classical or pop music, even the AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD 650."​

I think That is best music phone ever ​

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,625 of 7,916
  i think one big factor in sq is the amp so not have the ess opamp could translate in lower sound quality than the v10 as well

It´s not like ESS are making the perfect amp. Their DACs are their proud.
The OPAMP chips on the Pro5 are supposedly "better" and as already mentioned, it has better capacitors, clocks, resistors, etc...
The Pro 5 has a much higher output voltage also, so it is supposedly louder, thus driving demanding headphones better...

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,627 of 7,916

So what is it for you then? CDs or Vinyl? I am genuinely curious...
rolleyes.gif

Hope I can give my 2 cents....I would need to kindly remind that this is based on my own findings and does not have any bias or preference on brand etc.
I used to run my portable CD player, iPod, iPAD and now my Samsung note 3 on Klipsch x10 and now Klipsch x11 with custom silver cable ICs to Fiio E6 (I used to use ibasso T3, then Fiio E5).
I was heavily critized for using mid/high end ear pieces with "cheap" amps.

But sadly, I do not really use any large players CD, amps nor plannar speakers. IMHO, the labtec 4218 was one of the best speaker for a small room (all rounder).

Then to the point of the post.....CDs, Gold CDs, Vinyls, lossless, 192 bits mp3s, 320 bits mp3s or other formats ?

I mainly use 3 CDs, actually its 2 CDs and 1 DVD
- CD 1 : Andre Reiu Live in Masstrich #6
- CD 2 : 24K Gold CD; Jacky Cheung
- DVD : Jacky Cheung 1/2 century tour (Cantonese version)

Reason behind is that I was at 2 of the above concerts. I believe that we should try to reproduce the sounds we like or what we heard.
I got the CDs, played via different players via my portable amp and x10/x11. That was how I choose the amp and earphones. 

I ripped the songs off to mp3s or other formats using different bitrates then did a playback on my portable devices.....now Samsung note3 and ipad.

Sadly, I think 192k bits mp3s worked best for me, 320k bits is just for certain songs. I do need to remind myself that space is premium on my 64gb SD card.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,629 of 7,916
  Anyone knows if the Ipod touch is as good (base wise ) as these audio smartphones ? I may get the ipod for the price ...

I think it depends what you are looking for.
Since this is a Mobile or smartphone thread, some of my friends use ipod instead of phones for their games, then a phone for call and msg.

There are many differences as I did get the Vivo x5 MAX, that sounded good, especially on a earphone (x10/x11) that needed an additional amp (especially when I use on my ipad or Note3). There are certain audio players that allow you to use the HW rather than SW decoders ....

On the other hand, there are suggestions to use line-out instead of the earphone jacks from the i"stuff" for clearity etc.

IMHO, you are asking like "which portable CD player is better" but you do not have speakers or output devices in mind.
I do not really like to say product xxx is better than product zzz, but you have to look at the entire solution (device + amp + earpiece or headpiece). There is no really one "fits-all" product, especially when it concerns 2 separate hardware (device + output).

Get a device, add a cheap amp (Fiio etc) and see if you like the difference.
Then maybe upgrade the device or amp or the output (or even the cables, silver ICs do help).

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,630 of 7,916
Anyone knows if the Ipod touch is as good (base wise ) as these audio smartphones ? I may get the ipod for the price ...

If you're not into hi-res and that you're happy with 16/44 m4a,MP3 and Alac, then the iPod touch 6th gen 64Gb is your best bet.

I have the 5th gen and it does what it's supposed to do, I have about 100 Alac ripped CDs with some aiff and I'm happy with it plugged on a dedicated dock for background music purposes at home.

Pros
- very good SQ (if you're not into hi-res)
- compatibility with most docks, portable amps on the market
- very easy to get any kind of accessory for Apple products
- an iPod can be used for more than just listening to music ( very good gaming machine with flawless graphics)
- compatibility with all streaming services
- can play flac 16 and 24 bit / dsd through some applications
- sleek design and very light compared to most dedicated daps

Cons
- no native flac playback
- the 64Gb version is pricey (same price tag as some real audiophile monsters; Fiio X5-2, Ibasso DX80, Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary
- stuck with iTunes for mostly everything except streaming services
- flac playback seems to be available only in paid apps, unless the usual ads on free and feature limited version doesn't bother
- not powerful enough for studio grade headphones but shall be perfect with most sub 60 ohms on the ear headphones and sensitive iems
- no real native hi-res playback but supports up to 24/48 on Alac and Aiff
- stock EarPods sounds good only with usual MP3 and m4a, it's really crap with lossless music

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,632 of 7,916
Mostly, yes. Better than the onboard dac of any 200$ phone. Maybe phones like the Pro 5, Mi Note Pro or the V10 would be good contenders for the smartphone side.

Great! Then I believe I should focus on an affordable DAC/AMP instead of a more expensive smartphone since the only reason of a serious upgrade would be just for the SQ

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,633 of 7,916
True. My LG HEADPHONE jack got loose.... I have it returned for warranty repair/exchange....

Now I am relying on my old rig one max and my leckarton dac/amp...
It is just as sweet as the lg v10 when it comes to sq, same league but with different strengths and weaknesses depending on your gears..

My phone&leckarton rig weights 3x as LG V10 and it's huge... Also it kinda sucks when your amp is out of power and you gotta keep it in your pocket...

However, for a truely portable rig, lg v10 and a decent pair of IEMs is definitely the way to go at the moment!

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,634 of 7,916
True. My LG HEADPHONE jack got loose.... I have it returned for warranty repair/exchange....

Now I am relying on my old rig one max and my leckarton dac/amp...
It is just as sweet as the lg v10 when it comes to sq, same league but with different strengths and weaknesses depending on your gears..

My phone&leckarton rig weights 3x as LG V10 and it's huge... Also it kinda sucks when your amp is out of power and you gotta keep it in your pocket...

However, for a truely portable rig, lg v10 and a decent pair of IEMs is definitely the way to go at the moment!

I agree, the V10 is the most portable all-in-one solution but you're the second person I've heard having issues with the headphone jack.

How many times per day where you plugging/unplugging headphones into it?

Also think the V10 is great with the right headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg/945#post_12093431

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,635 of 7,916
I use the se846s. Works pretty well,..

The h.o. was not very tight to begin with. Technically, sounds ok still, but I'm afraid that the H.O. getting looser over time. So I decided to contact customer service and see if I could exchange for a new phone... One with tight ho.

Waiting for their response...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back