Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 6, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #2,687 of 5,166
It is unkown when the v50 will be available in my country. We're being told that it will be available in countries where there is a 5G network.
The LG G8 is however available; I don't know if that phone gives an experience equal to a setup I mentioned in my opening post.

I am pretty sure it is better than S10e. Either G series or V series of LG.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #2,688 of 5,166
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. An enthousiast music lover, I have the new Technics stereo and Piega speakers for my music enjoyment at home.
I'd like to also have a good, portable music setup. I use my smartphone (Samsung S10e with 1More Quad Driver iem) and get decent sound. My music collection contains many hi-res files (24-48 and upwards).
But I'm wondering if I can bring my music experience to the next level. Cash to spend: around 1K euro/dollar (dap/dac with iem).

I'm listening to many genres, though mostly classical and (during my hikes) heavy metal.

I almost decided on the FiiO M11 with an Etymotic ER4-SR iem. But I am an avid walker (10km is a short walk for me), and I wonder if the M11 is portable enough: it looks like a large device. And I have to carry my smartphone and a dap.
I have the advice to buy an iBasso 220dx with better iem, but the money for that purchase is not available at the moment.

I've read about dac's and I'm curious whether a S10e with a good dac and iem delivers the same result. That would be great - much more portable than a dedicated dap. One website says a dac only gives more power, the other says it gives much better sound. I don't need more power per se: I'm looking for a wider soundstage, the bass with a bit more oempf and the highs (much) clearer than I have now).

I'm also interested if you know a smartphone which has such a great dac that a seperate dac or dap is not necessary. My wife's smartphone is old, so she can have the S10e.

I'm curious about your experiences and if you can make recommendations!

s10e has a pretty good and accurate audio by looking at gsmarena test.
the phone itself is nice as a dap thanks to the compact size.
the best you can do to improve it would be getting some better dac / amp without spending too much like ibasso dc02 / FiiO BTR3 / FiiO BTR5 but to be honest for anything low impedance the s10e will be just as good.

if you want to get the best out of your 1more QUAD sound I suggest looking at oratory1990 EQ to correct the faults in that model (https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index#wiki_oratory1990.2019s_list_of_eq_presets). Oratory uses a parametric EQ. If a parametric EQ isn't available for you you can find an approximated graphic EQ from AutoEQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq).

This thread is often missleading. You don't need to spend a lot on dedicated DAPs / android phones. Surely not more than you have on the in-ear itself.

I would try the EQ from oratory and perhaps consider just buying an higher tier set of buds (I'm hearing nice things for the FiiO FH7). But stick with your S10e.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #2,689 of 5,166
im torn between lg v30 plus or the vivo xplay6:
IMO, there's no point to compare V30 and Xplay 6 as VIVO is a flagman music focused smart phone at the moment. They say that Vivio Nex is even a better musical phone but it has a neutral signature wherever XPlay 6 (which I own) is bass-emphasized device. Meze 99 Classic plus Vivo Xplay 6 is divine combination. If closed type headphones is not your type I would recommend Sendiy M1221 IEMs. I have Sony XBA Z5 and they are much worse than M1221 as far frequencies, sound stage/"air", bleeding and instrument separation are concerned. In case of a budget IRMs I'd recommend KZ ZS7.

Aug 7, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #2,690 of 5,166
s10e has a pretty good and accurate audio by looking at gsmarena test.
the phone itself is nice as a dap thanks to the compact size.
the best you can do to improve it would be getting some better dac / amp without spending too much like ibasso dc02 / FiiO BTR3 / FiiO BTR5 but to be honest for anything low impedance the s10e will be just as good.

if you want to get the best out of your 1more QUAD sound I suggest looking at oratory1990 EQ to correct the faults in that model (https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index#wiki_oratory1990.2019s_list_of_eq_presets). Oratory uses a parametric EQ. If a parametric EQ isn't available for you you can find an approximated graphic EQ from AutoEQ (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq).

This thread is often missleading. You don't need to spend a lot on dedicated DAPs / android phones. Surely not more than you have on the in-ear itself.

I would try the EQ from oratory and perhaps consider just buying an higher tier set of buds (I'm hearing nice things for the FiiO FH7). But stick with your S10e.

Interesting. I've never used parametric EQ before. I see that USB audio pro has only 6 channels in that eq. Poweramp should have more but for some reason I only get 4 (both are paid versions). Will look into it, thanks for the advice!

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #2,691 of 5,166
Interesting. I've never used parametric EQ before. I see that USB audio pro has only 6 channels in that eq. Poweramp should have more but for some reason I only get 4 (both are paid versions). Will look into it, thanks for the advice!

Neutron has up to 30 bands EQ. If parametric is a problem you can find the 10 bands graphic from AutoEQ on github.

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2,692 of 5,166
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. An enthousiast music lover, I have the new Technics stereo and Piega speakers for my music enjoyment at home.
I'd like to also have a good, portable music setup. I use my smartphone (Samsung S10e with 1More Quad Driver iem) and get decent sound. My music collection contains many hi-res files (24-48 and upwards).
But I'm wondering if I can bring my music experience to the next level. Cash to spend: around 1K euro/dollar (dap/dac with iem).

I'm listening to many genres, though mostly classical and (during my hikes) heavy metal.

I almost decided on the FiiO M11 with an Etymotic ER4-SR iem. But I am an avid walker (10km is a short walk for me), and I wonder if the M11 is portable enough: it looks like a large device. And I have to carry my smartphone and a dap.
I have the advice to buy an iBasso 220dx with better iem, but the money for that purchase is not available at the moment.

I've read about dac's and I'm curious whether a S10e with a good dac and iem delivers the same result. That would be great - much more portable than a dedicated dap. One website says a dac only gives more power, the other says it gives much better sound. I don't need more power per se: I'm looking for a wider soundstage, the bass with a bit more oempf and the highs (much) clearer than I have now).

I'm also interested if you know a smartphone which has such a great dac that a seperate dac or dap is not necessary. My wife's smartphone is old, so she can have the S10e.

I'm curious about your experiences and if you can make recommendations!

I do have s10e and Fiio FH7 works flawlessly.
I use UAPP which is doing Hi Res and MQA first unfolding producing nice sound,enjoyable.
Of course my Ibasso DX 220 is onother league.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,693 of 5,166
I do have s10e and Fiio FH7 works flawlessly.
I use UAPP which is doing Hi Res and MQA first unfolding producing nice sound,enjoyable.
Of course my Ibasso DX 220 is onother league.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice you've given! I will work on my EQ first, get a better iem and a dac. And save some cash for a serious dap one day :)

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,694 of 5,166
Any one own MEIZU PRO 7??
What’s your openion regarding volume level and sound quality compare to other audiophile phones
Coz I just got a used one I felt headphone volume level is kinda low
Compare to my previous devices

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,695 of 5,166
Any one own MEIZU PRO 7??
What’s your openion regarding volume level and sound quality compare to other audiophile phones
Coz I just got a used one I felt headphone volume level is kinda low
Compare to my previous devices

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #2,696 of 5,166
I am pretty sure it is better than S10e. Either G series or V series of LG.

I'm always torn when trying to buy some previous gen LG phones. Apparently phones released for certain regions don't get their quad-DAC feature?

edit: on further reading, it seems LG stopped doing it? found on the wiki page of LG G7

"All models in all markets will include quad Digital-to-analog converters (DAC) to enhance sound output, unlike the G6, which limited the quad DAC to select Asian markets."

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #2,697 of 5,166
Apologies for not having read the thread in detail but just wondering do any of the later generation LG phones improve on the great sound they achieved on their V30? Any reviews I've come across wax lyrical about the quad dac etc. but I get the impression the feature is simply retained rather than upgraded with more recent models. Am I right? If so will simply replace my V30 with another one when the time comes. My setup at the mo is a V30 paired with Fiio FH7's and love the results

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #2,698 of 5,166
Hey guys,

Quite disappointed with the g7, overall resolution seems good but not amazing, between my zenfone go, difference isn't night and day, the only thing the g7 is superior is the snr ratio and soundstage. and btw why does the g7, when I use the poweramps tone settings and just turn the bass to about 20% it starts to distort? overall the eq is just bad imho, and that doesnt happen on my zenfone, anybody can explain?

also planning to buy the ibasso dx120, is it better to the g7? any other recommendations are much appreciated, I prefer neutral sound sig with lil sub bass bump and smooth highs, thanks

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #2,699 of 5,166
Hey guys,

Quite disappointed with the g7, overall resolution seems good but not amazing, between my zenfone go, difference isn't night and day, the only thing the g7 is superior is the snr ratio and soundstage. and btw why does the g7, when I use the poweramps tone settings and just turn the bass to about 20% it starts to distort? overall the eq is just bad imho, and that doesnt happen on my zenfone, anybody can explain?

also planning to buy the ibasso dx120, is it better to the g7? any other recommendations are much appreciated, I prefer neutral sound sig with lil sub bass bump and smooth highs, thanks

Go for DX160. I am quite interested in it. And it is just $100 over old DX120.

Btw DX120 is the best for DAP starter.

And in order to maximize capability of LG, please use either neutron or UAPP for bit perfect playback and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back