Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2,717 of 5,166
Hi guys,

I'm somewhat new here and still learning. I recently asked my retailer on the logic of having two DACs in an audio chain, side by side, e.g. DAP > DAC/AMP. He explained that the DAP converts the digital sound to analogue, and as it goes through the DAC/AMP, it will bypass the DAC because there is no more digital data only analogue audio signal.

Is this true? Say my Huawei P30 that comes with a HiFi DAC (as marketed), and I hooked it to a DAC/AMP, will it bypass the DAC and just amplify the sound from my phone?

I tried googling, but things got techie, and as a new learner, searching the forum can be overwhelming. If there is any good thread for me to read, please point me in the right direction.

Muchas Gracias!

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #2,718 of 5,166
Hi guys,

I'm somewhat new here and still learning. I recently asked my retailer on the logic of having two DACs in an audio chain, side by side, e.g. DAP > DAC/AMP. He explained that the DAP converts the digital sound to analogue, and as it goes through the DAC/AMP, it will bypass the DAC because there is no more digital data only analogue audio signal.

Is this true? Say my Huawei P30 that comes with a HiFi DAC (as marketed), and I hooked it to a DAC/AMP, will it bypass the DAC and just amplify the sound from my phone?

I tried googling, but things got techie, and as a new learner, searching the forum can be overwhelming. If there is any good thread for me to read, please point me in the right direction.

Muchas Gracias!

Music File = Digital

Sound to Ear = Analog

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter

Thus Digital > DAC > Analog

If you are using just phone, It will utilize internal DAC in phone.

In case you connect to External DAC via USB. USB = Bus for Digital Transportation.

Then The music data will tranfer just like you connect USB to computer to transfer files. Therefore it won't utilize internal DAC in Phone. It just bypassed.

Once music data goes to dac as 101010100110... into DAC, it will become sound wave and Amplifer of DAC/AMP will do the rest job to amplify volume.

That's all for the basic stuff.

But if you explore more, you will see the term called "Master clock" (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/2016/01/audio-master-clocks-fundamentals/).

This can affect on transportation too. But it may be too deep. For now, Just remind that connecting DAC/AMP, the phone just takes little effect on sound creation. Most of effect comes from DAC/AMP.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #2,719 of 5,166
Music File = Digital

Sound to Ear = Analog

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter

Thus Digital > DAC > Analog

If you are using just phone, It will utilize internal DAC in phone.

In case you connect to External DAC via USB. USB = Bus for Digital Transportation.

Then The music data will tranfer just like you connect USB to computer to transfer files. Therefore it won't utilize internal DAC in Phone. It just bypassed.

Once music data goes to dac as 101010100110... into DAC, it will become sound wave and Amplifer of DAC/AMP will do the rest job to amplify volume.

That's all for the basic stuff.

But if you explore more, you will see the term called "Master clock" (https://en.antelopeaudio.com/2016/01/audio-master-clocks-fundamentals/).

This can affect on transportation too. But it may be too deep. For now, Just remind that connecting DAC/AMP, the phone just takes little effect on sound creation. Most of effect comes from DAC/AMP.

Thank you sir!

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,720 of 5,166
GPS reception on the Xplay 6 is amazing, simply incredible.

This phone is my only companion when I work out, and yesterday I used Runtastic Pro with the GPS turned on (no 4G).
In fact I thought the 4G was on but only wifi was on, and it worked flawlessly during the entire session (i.e. 14 kms).
This is not the first time it happens, but coming from the Le Max, I am still surprised.

This Vivo is truely a masterpice, too sad they discontinued the Xplay series....

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #2,721 of 5,166
It is truly gem. To Think that in 2019, we still can use this 2016 phone. This phone never get old.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #2,722 of 5,166
If you have the chance, give a try to Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (international version). It has very good warmish sound when power mode is on (a switch in the phone's settings).
Where do you find this switch?
I can only activate power mode by attaching an extension cable before attaching the earphone. This leads to a remarkably louder output

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,723 of 5,166
Where do you find this switch?
I can only activate power mode by attaching an extension cable before attaching the earphone. This leads to a remarkably louder output

Screenshot_2019-09-11-17-18-42-352_com.android.settings.png Screenshot_2019-09-11-17-19-12-981_com.android.settings.png

Hi, didn't know that the LG trick was working with this phone too! (using an adapter before connecting earphone).

As you can see in the images, there's a selector under headphones section (in the settings) that can be activated only if you have any earphone already connected to the 3.5mm. entry (does not work with 'empty' adapter first). When this is done, volume gain is not the star of the show, but selector of different xiaomi earphones and tunning coming out from them. I like to use color and youth edition and then, if needed, a bit of system's EQ to achieve desired signature. As stated, volume gain is not significant, but sound using low impedance gear (I use it with NCM NC5v2, LZ A4 and some more) is very good. A bit warmish with very natural tone. When tried RHA MA750I, new Radsone HE100 and others (talking of IEMs only) with higher impedance, the sound was not engaging and max. volume was not enough to use on the go.

Now I need to get a 3.5 to 3.5 adapter and recheck some higher impedance gear when I return to home, in some days! Thanks for point this!

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,724 of 5,166
Thanks for your answer. I knew this option, but didn't see it as a power mode. It's more some kind of predefined eq settings for Xiaomi earphones. I already played around with it earlier but none of them really matched my taste.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,725 of 5,166
Thanks for your answer. I knew this option, but didn't see it as a power mode. It's more some kind of predefined eq settings for Xiaomi earphones. I already played around with it earlier but none of them really matched my taste.

Hi, yes. I agree that it is not a power mode. In fact, adapter trick you pointed gives more power (volume). But anyway, IMO, if using low impedance gear, the sound can be improved if any of the pre-adjustments match your phones (I use always a bit of EQ, that BTW works pretty well). I checked it with most of my gear and, as stated, it delivers a very nice sound when using sensible phones. BTW I thought same way as you when first checked it out (mixed reviews did not help) but thanks to a friend, I was digging into it and now I use this mode when I can. I find it similar to ES100 sound, but warmer and with a bit less resolution.

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2,728 of 5,166
Bought A new LG G8 ThinQ and found this on the box.

lg g8.jpg
I played a couple of MQA files and was quite surprised how good this phone sounded.
This blows away my LG G7. From what I've read only the G8 and the V50 can unfold MQA files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back