Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,096 of 5,168
Vocal: same level of smoothness. But xp6 have a little more forwarded mid.

Warmth: If pro5: 10, v20: 7.5, xp6: 8.5

Extension: xp6 has better extension both low and high ends.

Depth soundstage: same level

Width soundstage: xp6 is much wider. Feel better transparency.
Yes. It is correct. Xp6 is warmer & louder than lg v20, both via wire and wireless headphones

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,097 of 5,168
Vocal: same level of smoothness. But xp6 have a little more forwarded mid.

Warmth: If pro5: 10, v20: 7.5, xp6: 8.5

Extension: xp6 has better extension both low and high ends.

Depth soundstage: same level

Width soundstage: xp6 is much wider. Feel better transparency.
Thank you that makes my choice easier if I buy one :)

XP6 it is.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,098 of 5,168
I have read on http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/htc-10 that camera is problematic, colors come often washed out:
" The camera is still a slight annoyance, but only because I’ve experienced the majestic awesomeness of the Galaxy S7 – which still has the best phone camera sensor on the market.
The HTC 10’s camera isn’t bad, but the use of Ultrapixel tech, which instructs the camera to capture bigger pixels and more light, works a little too well. Photos taken in even moderately bright lighting conditions are regularly washed out and have unwanted flare effects."

And that brings me to Aquaris X Pro that has a ES9118 Sabre DAC, supports aptX and has the same sensor for camera that is used in Samsung S7.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,099 of 5,168
And that brings me to Aquaris X Pro that has a ES9118 Sabre DAC, supports aptX and has the same sensor for camera that is used in Samsung S7.

Just having an ess sabre dac inside a phone is not enough to guarantee good performance. The software that runs on top of the hardware is the most important thing. It's easy to ruin a good performing dac inside a phone by just even changing ROM or upgrading to the latest version for an example.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,100 of 5,168
Vivo will have a mid-range smartphone X21 on 19 March ( 2 weeks from now on)

Leak spec is
- Snapdragon 660/700 (maybe 2 variance)
- FHD 6.43" quite huge
- iPhone X screen style (still not APEX model)
- RAM 4 ROM 64
- 12 MP Front camera
- First USB-C for vivo phone.

But Need to wait for official spec though. It seems that APEX commercial model will be produced on year-end...

Source: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5578529564

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,101 of 5,168
Did someone here try an Xperia xz premium? I`m quite surprised by the sound quality. The stock volume is too low, but after rooting it and editing the mixer paths file to make it louder, that thing sounds gorgeous. I compared it with my V20 (B&O tuned) and with the B&O Hifi plus module, and while still being a little bit quiter, the sound quality on the same volume is on par with the Hi-fi plus module and even a bit cleaner than on the V20 (and HTC10 for that matter), which i wouldn`t expect even in my dreams. it`s absolutely clean, there is zero distortion and everything from lows to highs sounds absolutely beautiful without interefering with each other frequence. I dont even feel the need to use that hifi plus module with my akg y55`s anymore because its so good. The B&O`s H3 and fiio ex1`s also sound amazing with it. Today i also compared it with an Huawei Mate S, and the Sony is another level to say the least. I owned a ton of phones with seperate DAC/amp combos (Htc10 meizu pro 5, pro 6 plus, V10, v20, letv x900, xiaomi mi note pro, diverse apples etc) and the best one until now was the V20...But now comes this thing and just surpasses them all, and all that without any mention of a super-duper separate DAC. I was thinking for months to replace my V20 with it and never did because i feared the decrease in sound quality, but that quality is seriously unexpected. It`s really really surprising.

Problem is, as i said, you must be willing to root it, otherwise the volume is way too low.

Has anyone tried the xperia XZ1? How was it compared to other TOTL phones?

Im torn if im going to buy a DAP or phone. Im currently looking at the Hidizs AP200

So I've been using a Xperia XZ premium with Sony MDR-1000x and Sony MDR-Z1R phones for several months now and love it. My go to for my vinyl rips is my NW-ZX2 I must admit but for travelling to and from work and at work the Xperia is beautiful.......

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #1,102 of 5,168
So I've been using a Xperia XZ premium with Sony MDR-1000x and Sony MDR-Z1R phones for several months now and love it. My go to for my vinyl rips is my NW-ZX2 I must admit but for travelling to and from work and at work the Xperia is beautiful.......

To be honest, any Sony with LDAC would sound the same. Its BT over LDAC that sounds so good with the headphones. My old ZX2 and Z5 compact sound the same to headphones over LDAC.

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,104 of 5,168
To be honest, any Sony with LDAC would sound the same. Its BT over LDAC that sounds so good with the headphones. My old ZX2 and Z5 compact sound the same to headphones over LDAC.
Don't disagree, well I might actually, but I think you'll find the Z1Rs are not BT and are a very revealing 'phone. The 1000x are BT I agree but again are not very forgiving of lo-res output.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,105 of 5,168
Don't disagree, well I might actually, but I think you'll find the Z1Rs are not BT and are a very revealing 'phone. The 1000x are BT I agree but again are not very forgiving of lo-res output.
I was referrng to your use over BT not wired. The Z5 compact is nothing special wired unlike the ZX2.

I only listen wired myself via a DAC and soon via my LG V30+ when it arrives this week.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,106 of 5,168
Just having an ess sabre dac inside a phone is not enough to guarantee good performance. The software that runs on top of the hardware is the most important thing. It's easy to ruin a good performing dac inside a phone by just even changing ROM or upgrading to the latest version for an example.

Certainly, however I understand that the phone got good reviews. And, it also uses same sensor as in s7 for camera, which might produce better photos than HTC 10, though as you correctly noted it depends on implementation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/BQ-Aquaris-X-Pro-Smartphone-Review.237184.0.html

Anyone here knows Spanish and can tell what reviews on Spanish Amazon say?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,107 of 5,168
So due to the fact that most of the phones like Vivo are not optimized for US frequencies I have listened to V10, V20, V30 (for few minutes), Axon 7, Axon 7 Mini, LeTv x800 as well as the HTC 10 with my best pair of cans being HD650 , I feel the LG series are good for critical listening but kind of boring otherwise(maybe minus the v10)....I mean I guess it depends on what genre you would listen to but for the most part cold sounding, the Axon series is pretty good with the mini sounding a little less critical than the big brother which is a good thing, output power can be a little low depending on the cans but otherwise it sounds good, HTC 10 is musical, dynamic and loud...I mean..... you just feel whatever you are listening to though on higher end cans you will notice its not as clean as the v20 overall. I also think tuning via EQ can help a lot seeing as though different buds and cans have varying frequency responses...the HTC10 has this built right in and sometimes depending on the tuning the amp even kicks it up a notch, I also feel like sub bass is underrated and I don't mean crank it up to max but reducing bass or adding a little can give that punch you need while listening to some old school Linkin Park or some Kendrick Lamar. For now my 650s are chilling in the case and I'm just waiting to see what's coming but I wont hold my breath anything in the US

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,109 of 5,168
I'm thinking of getting the Axon 7 Mini for 160USD new, but I'm doubting if it's still relevant enough as a smartphone. I don't have a DAP yet, but I think it's inconvenient for me to carry two devices on commute. Any ideas?

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,110 of 5,168
I'm thinking of getting the Axon 7 Mini for 160USD new, but I'm doubting if it's still relevant enough as a smartphone. I don't have a DAP yet, but I think it's inconvenient for me to carry two devices on commute. Any ideas?

Yes sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back