Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,066 of 5,167
So I have the LG V20 and was wondering what smartphone has the same quality with slightly more mid range warmth and thicker vocal? Preferably similar sounstage or wider thanks.

Is Xplay 6 warmer? Similar width?

Meizu pro 5 is not available anywhere and I’m not totally satisfied with the V20 being slightly cold/analytical in the vocal (although the detail and depth is impressive).

Am I forced to buy a high end DAP to achieve this sound? I hope not!

(BTW I don’t notice much if any of a difference between normal/aux/high impendance mode for my v20... other than loudness)

Xplay6 is slightly warmer and wider sounstage with more extended subbass and a little more euphonic vocal than V20. (I have rose mojito w/ brimar sxc cable and find it has good matching together.)

By the way, are you a cable believer? Did you try match your cable-swapable earbud with another aftermarket cable?

If you have chance to go to any canjam, try testing ibasso DX200 + AMP4/5, you will find a heaven of audio bliss :wink: and DAP will be your another men's toy in life.

Because nowadays, scope of audiophile smartphone is just LG, meizu and vivo that make me bored and need to find additional toys. :laughing:

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,067 of 5,167
Xplay6 is slightly warmer and wider sounstage with more extended subbass and a little more euphonic vocal than V20. (I have rose mojito w/ brimar sxc cable and find it has good matching together.)

By the way, are you a cable believer? Did you try match your cable-swapable earbud with another aftermarket cable?

If you have chance to go to any canjam, try testing ibasso DX200 + AMP4/5, you will find a heaven of audio bliss :wink: and DAP will be your another men's toy in life.

Because nowadays, scope of audiophile smartphone is just LG, meizu and vivo that make me bored and need to find additional toys. :laughing:
To be a believer (or non believer) I need to try a premium cable first xD

I actually have decided to purchase a relatively ‘nice’ mogami cardas cable for my HD540 ref ii headphones. So I’ll compare it to stock Sennheiser cable and see what I think^^

Wow that description of the Xplay 6 makes me think that’s the phone for me... Maybe in the future when I have money saved for a serious upgrade I will buy a high end dap like that Ibasso. For now it’s midrange dap or audiophile smartphone for me. I was a little worried about it’s description of being not very wide but if it’s better than the V20 (which is indeed somewhat narrow) I’ll be happy enough!

I actually have the Rose Masya so I can try a cable swap on that maybe, although I think the stock cable is pretty good already.

I hate the stock cable on my 540’s... too long and very basic like most sennheiser cables.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,068 of 5,167

Does the xplay 6 HIFI mode work with spotify? I’ve seen that DSD works with spotify but that the hifi mode is a different thing altogether? Both DSD and Hifi are using the sabre dac? I listen to spotify premium as my source of music.

Also how is the ‘smoothness’ compared to V20? I how smooth the v20 sounds but I miss the full body and texture of weighty low mids too. Something in between would be nice.

I do have a Cayin N5ii dap but I didn’t like it’s vocals and the signature was a little dry and the vocals were not lush... Kind of textured but grainy, didn’t feel much excitement with it despite liking the natural treble and the powerful bass. The mids were not my favourite.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,069 of 5,167
Does the xplay 6 HIFI mode work with spotify? I’ve seen that DSD works with spotify but that the hifi mode is a different thing altogether? Both DSD and Hifi are using the sabre dac? I listen to spotify premium as my source of music.

Also how is the ‘smoothness’ compared to V20? I how smooth the v20 sounds but I miss the full body and texture of weighty low mids too. Something in between would be nice.

I do have a Cayin N5ii dap but I didn’t like it’s vocals and the signature was a little dry and the vocals were not lush... Kind of textured but grainy, didn’t feel much excitement with it despite liking the natural treble and the powerful bass. The mids were not my favourite.

1. Spotify support Hi-Fi but not DSD (it doen't have DSD format in spotify app anyway)
  2. DSD mode is technically "shutting down proc/asound" so it lets music pass through solely hardware decoding ensuring bit perfect and not changing format (No DSD to PCM) so it implements for DSD playback with vivo's stock music app and
  3. Additionally, Neutron (with Hi-Res codec and Follow Frequency activated) can use DSD mode for both PCM and DSD playback with pure hardware decoding
  4. Now you might wonder what is Hi-Fi mode. Hi-Fi mode is still considered as bit perfect but.. the music pass thru software decoding so it is like adding spice into a soup. nothing is wrong with either modes, just difference of essence. Both modes utilize sabre dac and amp.
  5. smoothness and musicality for xplay6 is also outstanding. Please rest assured.
  6. DAP for vocal... Have you try opus DAP yet? I think it is quite suitable for your need.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,070 of 5,167
  1. Spotify support Hi-Fi but not DSD (it doen't have DSD format in spotify app anyway)
  2. DSD mode is technically "shutting down proc/asound" so it lets music pass through solely hardware decoding ensuring bit perfect and not changing format.
  • so it implements for DSD playback with vivo's stock music app and Neutron ()
Oh ok that’s fine, the spotify app still takes advantage of the dac just running through the android system, understandable.

The sound of xplay 6 is ‘smooth’? that’s my last question hope not to not annoy you too much!

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,071 of 5,167
Sorry. I just mis-click the post. so it was half-baked. Now I wrote all answers for you. :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,072 of 5,167
Sorry. I just mis-click the post. so it was half-baked. Now I wrote all answers for you. :)
Thank you, the only dap I tried was the Cayin N5ii which was compared to the opus #2 and Fiio x5ii favourably.

To be honest if I decide to stick with spotify as a source there’s no point in buying a DAP over an ‘audiophile’ smartphone as it won’t sound any better passing through android.

Only the Hiby R6 seems to have a solution to this and that dap has issues with output impendance (although something like the ifi iematch/earbuddy may fix that).

So it’s either find a perfect smartphone for my use (xplay 6 seems to be what I’m looking for) or buy the Hiby R6 for roughly the same price and then an ifi iematch to reduce the output impendance for my earbuds.

The hiby probably sounds better but im not sure it’s my preference it’s considered a smoother darker response than balanced with treble being less prominent than bass and mids.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,075 of 5,167
Can someone comment on SQ and loudness of iphone 4 vs 5s vs 6s?
I have read that iPhone 5s is less loud than 4 with same SQ, and I wonder how 6s fits in.
I can comment between SE, 6 and 6S and can say that assuming they follow a similar progression the 6S sounds fuller and more natural. 6/SE is thinner and more trebley. 6S is pretty balanced (just lacks deep sub bass) and tonally pretty neutral-slightly warm (natural imo) with nice full lower mids and slight raise in the upper mids (not much though).

6S sounds good to me, one step below TOTL audiophile smartphone but not in every aspect! The weight/body to the mids is very satisfying, the tonality is excellent. Treble is natural and very sweet/airy without being peaked. Mid bass is punchy but slightly bloated but has nice weight and fairly decent texture.

Where is falls below LG V20 for instance:

less sub bass impact and extension in bass/treble.
slightly less separation
slightly less 3D soundstage and depth layering
less micro details
sounds less dynamic

It beats V20 for mid range body but loses in depth and clarity so it doesn’t sound as vivid in vocals but is more satisfying at carrying authority to male vocals slightly. Vocals are less pushed forward, more naturally slightly edged forward. Not sure if this is better or worse, just a difference.

Overall I’d say it’s good enough to be satisfied with low impendance gear and can driver 300 ohm headphones in loudness but not with enough authority to be well driven imo. Better for lower impendance gear imo.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #1,076 of 5,167
I can comment between SE, 6 and 6S and can say that assuming they follow a similar progression the 6S sounds fuller and more natural. 6/SE is thinner and more trebley. 6S is pretty balanced (just lacks deep sub bass) and tonally pretty neutral-slightly warm (natural imo) with nice full lower mids and slight raise in the upper mids (not much though).

6S sounds good to me, one step below TOTL audiophile smartphone but not in every aspect! The weight/body to the mids is very satisfying, the tonality is excellent. Treble is natural and very sweet/airy without being peaked. Mid bass is punchy but slightly bloated but has nice weight and fairly decent texture.

slightly less separation
less micro details
sounds less dynamic

It beats V20 for mid range body but loses in depth and clarity so it doesn’t sound as vivid in vocals but is more satisfying at carrying authority to male vocals slightly. Vocals are less pushed forward, more naturally slightly edged forward. Not sure if this is better or worse, just a difference.

Overall I’d say it’s good enough to be satisfied with low impendance gear and can driver 300 ohm headphones in loudness but not with enough authority to be well driven imo. Better for lower impendance gear imo.

I appreciate your impressions of the iPhone 6S. I have been using iPhones since the 3G in 2009 and have dabbled with a couple of USB DACs. I have found over the years that I really would love to have one device and headphone to satiate my audio needs (as probably many do when seeking their end game). While this ultimately lands us in the rabbit hole, I have found a happy place with my iPhone 6S and Sony MH1C.... I perhaps have similar tastes, seeking warmth, no treble fatigue, nice separation and detail...yet smooth and liquidy. I am bothered by brightness and the presentation being too analytical...I want my music to sound as I subjectively perceive it should be.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #1,077 of 5,167

slightly less separation
less micro details
sounds less dynamic

I really like bass and especially subbass. Is there a way to get more of it with iphone 4?

And,which android phone you could recommend in this regard with a screen 5 to 5.2 inches? I don't like big phones.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,078 of 5,167
I really like bass and especially subbass. Is there a way to get more of it with iphone 4?

And,which android phone you could recommend in this regard with a screen 5 to 5.2 inches? I don't like big phones.

How about htc10

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #1,079 of 5,167
I want to wait until the end of this year to find out what new smartphones will come out, in hopes that there will be a worthy phone with a good DAC. I was hoping for lg g7 but LG crushed my hopes. I need to give my current phone to my brother soon, so I will need a phone until October. I am looking for a phone that has a great DAC, something similar to lg V20 but a bit cheaper. All I want is that it has NFC. I don't care about screen or any specs as it will be just until October and then a backup phone. All I want is that I can listen to good music on it and can pay with NFC. And my budget is £250. Any ideas anyone? Thank you for your help in advance

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,080 of 5,167
I want to wait until the end of this year to find out what new smartphones will come out, in hopes that there will be a worthy phone with a good DAC. I was hoping for lg g7 but LG crushed my hopes. I need to give my current phone to my brother soon, so I will need a phone until October. I am looking for a phone that has a great DAC, something similar to lg V20 but a bit cheaper. All I want is that it has NFC. I don't care about screen or any specs as it will be just until October and then a backup phone. All I want is that I can listen to good music on it and can pay with NFC. And my budget is £250. Any ideas anyone? Thank you for your help in advance

Meizu pro5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back