Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 19, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #1,036 of 5,166
Seriously I haven't seen this before that 2yo device gets manufacturer updates.
ZTE is pretty good about that, at least they don't suck like some of the other manufacturers. Heck, the full-sized Axon 7 is out of production and is still getting the update.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,038 of 5,166
I'm thinking more along the lines of the HTC One mini 2. It has a small form factor which is something I would prefer in a secondary device. I wonder if anyone know if it has a wolfson dac...I can't find any info on it online.
I would not recommend that device, it has qualcoms built in dac, sound coming from htc one m8 and one mini 2 is not something i would describe as good.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,040 of 5,166
Hi guys. Anyone has any idea if vivo x20 has the same nonsense with low impedance phones like g6 and v30?

What is the definition of your word,"nonsense"?

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #1,043 of 5,166
I meant, I have to use an adapter to increase the resistance in order to trigger on those quad dac and amplifier to enjoy the audio to its full potential. There has to be a term for this predicament, which sadly I'm not yet familiar with.

It is a norm for every hifi smartphone. With the logic that low gain is enough for low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEM. High gain is for hard-to-drive cans, in order to optimize noise and avoid distortion.
Louder doesn't always mean better. High gain doesn't mean better sound. If you want to activate high gain, adapter is a must for hifi smartphones.

If you want to enjoy adjusting gain without this trick, please consider onkyo granbeat and DAPs.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,044 of 5,166
It is a norm for every hifi smartphone. With the logic that low gain is enough for low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEM. High gain is for hard-to-drive cans, in order to optimize noise and avoid distortion.
Louder doesn't always mean better. High gain doesn't mean better sound. If you want to activate high gain, adapter is a must for hifi smartphones.

If you want to enjoy adjusting gain without this trick, please consider onkyo granbeat and DAPs.
That's kind of apple-ish logic when they know what is better for me. I want high gain not for loudness but full body sound at low volumes. I have Jvc fx 850 iem 16ohm and when I plug it in my sansa clip the sound is mediocre at best, compare to my laptop. I don't want to digress , I need a smartphone with the same capabilities and no extra tricks. Granbeat and Daps are not an option, I need other specs to be on par. I asked about vivo x20 thinking they drop this restriction and honestly I like it better then v30 because of metal back instead of glass.( dents vs cracks)

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,045 of 5,166
Live with it. We are not going to have any better than using tiny adapter for activating high gain. Remember it is smartphone for all users, not DAPs that focus on audio department only.

Having this trick is still better than none.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,046 of 5,166
Live with it. We are not going to have any better than using tiny adapter for activating high gain. Remember it is smartphone for all users, not DAPs that focus on audio department only.

Having this trick is still better than none.

When the V10 was released I stated (imo) this was done to avoid lawsuits from casual users damaging their ears from accidental high gain and low impedance earbuds/earphones/etc (phone can output around 2V max). I discovered that 3.5mm adapters provided higher output thanks to dealing with an Otterbox. I still dislike having to use adapters/extenders but it does work.

My next phone may be the Axon 7 Mini. Another Head-fier said it has a high power option in settings though. Hopefully it won't require using an adapter.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,047 of 5,166
When the V10 was released I stated (imo) this was done to avoid lawsuits from casual users damaging their ears from accidental high gain and low impedance earbuds/earphones/etc (phone can output around 2V max). I discovered that 3.5mm adapters provided higher output thanks to dealing with an Otterbox. I still dislike having to use adapters/extenders but it does work.

My next phone may be the Axon 7 Mini. Another Head-fier said it has a high power option in settings though. Hopefully it won't require using an adapter.
Although I live in the US, I have the European (global) firmware, (phone purchased from Gearbest). It is my understanding that the EU limits the available volume to some extent. The headphone extension trick works well on my phone, allowing access to high gain mode.
The gain boost in the settings menu is due to the switch between the Snapdragon 617 DAC (standard) and the higher powered AKM 4962 DAC (super) .
I am able to go from stupidly loud (for me, we all have different volume tolerances, may not be loud enough for you, lol), to insanely loud using the adapter trick paired with the AKM 4962.
Best Buy has the US GSM version in gold for $159, add $20 for gray. That is lower than the current Gearbest price for the gold.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,048 of 5,166
Although I live in the US, I have the European (global) firmware, (phone purchased from Gearbest). It is my understanding that the EU limits the available volume to some extent. The headphone extension trick works well on my phone, allowing access to high gain mode.
The gain boost in the settings menu is due to the switch between the Snapdragon 617 DAC (standard) and the higher powered AKM 4962 DAC (super) .
I am able to go from stupidly loud (for me, we all have different volume tolerances, may not be loud enough for you, lol), to insanely loud using the adapter trick paired with the AKM 4962.
Best Buy has the US GSM version in gold for $159, add $20 for gray. That is lower than the current Gearbest price for the gold.

Good to know. Thanks.

Yeah, I saw it for that $159 price. Would've already jumped on it if the Android 8 update was ready although the phone probably still won't get apt-x HD (or LDAC). I know the DAC chip and Bluetooth don't work together but I'd like to have those hi-res codecs for the next pair of wireless headphones I get (or next wireless car adapter). Plus I have a feeling the Axon 8 (Mini? too I hope) will be released soon.

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,049 of 5,166
Good to know. Thanks.

Yeah, I saw it for that $159 price. Would've already jumped on it if the Android 8 update was ready although the phone probably still won't get apt-x HD (or LDAC). I know the DAC chip and Bluetooth don't work together but I'd like to have those hi-res codecs for the next pair of wireless headphones I get (or next wireless car adapter). Plus I have a feeling the Axon 8 (Mini? too I hope) will be released soon.
If you can wait until a phone shows up that is more suited to the way you will use it, that is perfect.

I was looking for a decent DAP when I saw the 7 Mini on a gearbest flash sale at $125. It has been ideal for me, since I have been alternating between driving and commuting by bus, in each case, it is the heart of my car stereo (headphones on the bus, line out to my car stereo). It drives even my extremely source-dependant KZ ZS5 v.1 earphones well, even with their 4.8 ohm impedance.

Before I pull the trigger on gear, there has to be a really strong price/performance ratio. Chi-Fi brought me back into the hobby recently, since I can now afford decent-sounding stuff. It is nice to see someone who can go for performance criteria alone.

More power to ya, I say!

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,050 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Bought Meizu MX4 pro solely based on your impression. It has been a month and really happy for the purchase. I must agree with you this phone -as a dap- has both of width & depth, almost 3D sound!. But what really Impress me is the warmth and thickness of vocal & mid. For $150ish BNIB with one year of local warranty this baby is a real treat for me.

I wonder what phone would be an upgrade from this one with similar signature?.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back