Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 9, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #1,128 of 5,166
Took me years with Mobiles/DAC's/DAPS's with cables from "here, there, everywhere" but these two are now my only mobile powerhouse systems. Both drive my 8 Ohm SE846's or my 150 Ohm HD660S perfectly. The Sony BT remote works perfectly with both but tend to keep it just linked with the V30+ which I now use 95% of the time.

The Alpha developer version of UAPP that's coming soon works perfectly with the V30 internal QUAD DAC, even doing MQA and the new Tidal app itself now allows offline MQA masters.

The iPhone (iPhone SE 128GB + DFR in my case) is still the only mobile that does Spotify bit-perfect as far as I know.

To my ears, the V30+ & iPhoneSE/DFR are close to the audio quality of Chord Mojo with only a Hugo 2 I tested being better (but far less practice for portability).

20180309_103733.jpg 20180309_104121.jpg

Dragonfly showing correct green colour for 44khz Spotify
20180309_104503.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,129 of 5,166
I have xplay 6, my friend has x20 plus. Both of us confirm that the audio quality of xplay 6 is superior in all of aspects than x20 plus

well I was hoping to also make use of 6.4" screen and a top notch camera (ranked very high at DXOmark). i always have either qp1r with me, for the best possible quality (though, amazingly, amoi c50 is on par!, you should try it guys), so x20 plus could be a very good all rounder. is xplay 6 so much better than x20? )

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,131 of 5,166
I bought the axon 7 mini from CEX second hand, I am very annoyed though because the NFC was not working. So I had to give it back
Now, I have the option of a few smartphones, the axon 7 is one of them but it's a bit expensive so I think I'll go for the HTC 10. I was so happy with the axon 7 mini overall but be careful to test it for important things like NFC before you get it if you get it second hand.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,132 of 5,166
So in terms of dac and amp, which is better? Meizu Pro 6 Plus or LG V20?

Appreciate it!
I would personally go for the LG V20 because of the quad DAC, it can power up all my headphones pretty well. And I like the wide sound stage with the deep bass, depends on what you like to listen to really. I like rock and metal so I would go for LG.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,133 of 5,166
So in terms of dac and amp, which is better? Meizu Pro 6 Plus or LG V20?

Appreciate it!
LG V20 for sure.

well I was hoping to also make use of 6.4" screen and a top notch camera (ranked very high at DXOmark). i always have either qp1r with me, for the best possible quality (though, amazingly, amoi c50 is on par!, you should try it guys), so x20 plus could be a very good all rounder. is xplay 6 so much better than x20? )

xp6 is far better than x20 both in rear camera and music. If x20 get DXOmark at 90. I would give xp6 >95. Bokeh mode is top notch. In term of music, xp6 has more powerful amp and make sound fuller and more details (so if xp6 is 10 x20 is 6.5)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,135 of 5,166
I bought the axon 7 mini from CEX second hand, I am very annoyed though because the NFC was not working. So I had to give it back
Now, I have the option of a few smartphones, the axon 7 is one of them but it's a bit expensive so I think I'll go for the HTC 10. I was so happy with the axon 7 mini overall but be careful to test it for important things like NFC before you get it if you get it second hand.

As few months user of Axon 7 (the full one, not the mini) and sporadical user of HTC10 (on of my mates has one) I would go with Axon. Sound wise and phone wise. And we are supposed to get Oreo next month.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,136 of 5,166
The Axon 7 is discontinued. According to it's subreddit, quality control and specific hardware issues seem to develop more commonly than more expensive competing brands. To counter this if you're in a region that it sells in, it comes with generous two year accidental damage warranty. Here in Australia it's been on clearance at retailers for a few months. For these reasons I'd recommend getting it new with warranty if it's available. For the same reasons of lasting hardware I wouldn't recommend getting it used or without warranty unless it's a really good price and you're ok with poor quality control.

The Axon 9 sequel is yet to be revealed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,137 of 5,166
The Axon 7 is discontinued. According to it's subreddit, quality control and specific hardware issues seem to develop more commonly than more expensive competing brands. To counter this if you're in a region that it sells in, it comes with generous two year accidental damage warranty. Here in Australia it's been on clearance at retailers for a few months. For these reasons I'd recommend getting it new with warranty if it's available. For the same reasons of lasting hardware I wouldn't recommend getting it used or without warranty unless it's a really good price and you're ok with poor quality control.

The Axon 9 sequel is yet to be revealed.

TBH I haven't heard of any hardware issues due to quality control (on forums etc). As far as I know there were software issues but again, I've joined the train when Nougat was out and it is close to perfect.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,138 of 5,166
Do the amps on the V20 and xplay6 put out equal power? Let's assume you want to drive 300ohm headphones which delivers the most power? It's hard to find these stats for smartphones unlike DAP's which list all this stuff!

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,139 of 5,166
Do the amps on the V20 and xplay6 put out equal power? Let's assume you want to drive 300ohm headphones which delivers the most power? It's hard to find these stats for smartphones unlike DAP's which list all this stuff!

From what I have my rough measurement is while v20 gets 2Vrms at max volume, xp6 gets 2.5 Vrms at max volume. (DX200 single end is 3 Vrms)

But I dont have tools to measure power in mW at different loads like manufacturers have.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,140 of 5,166
From what I have my rough measurement is while v20 gets 2Vrms at max volume, xp6 gets 2.5 Vrms at max volume. (DX200 single end is 3 Vrms)

But I dont have tools to measure power in mW at different loads like manufacturers have.
no that’ll do, anything more powerful than the LG V20 is pretty great for a smartphone in my books. Thank you!

My V20 can power my 540 ii’s adequately but it would be nice to have a little more power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back