Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Feb 22, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,051 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Bought Meizu MX4 pro solely based on your impression. It has been a month and really happy for the purchase. I must agree with you this phone -as a dap- has both of width & depth, almost 3D sound!. But what really Impress me is the warmth and thickness of vocal & mid. For $150ish BNIB with one year of local warranty this baby is a real treat for me.

I wonder what phone would be an upgrade from this one with similar signature?.

Cheers,

MX4 PRO is considered as top tier on vocal and warm mid. Phones nowadays are focusing more on detail retrieval and analytical way. so I still cannot recommend a definite successor for MX4 PRO. (But yes, meizu pro 5 and lg v20 do share some similar aspects as MX4 PRO but not same level of warmth and thickness)

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,052 of 5,166
MX4 PRO is considered as top tier on vocal and warm mid. Phones nowadays are focusing more on detail retrieval and analytical way. so I still cannot recommend a definite successor for MX4 PRO. (But yes, meizu pro 5 and lg v20 do share some similar aspects as MX4 PRO but not same level of warmth and thickness)

Why not recommend ghe xplay6?

Feb 24, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,054 of 5,166
Why not recommend ghe xplay6?

Still not same level of warmth. xp6 is great at detail and balanced sound frequency while meizu mx4 pro is vocal and bass with smooth like silk of treble and timbre.

Which one do you have in mind, the least intrusive and still functional? Thanks.

Should be an older model - Letv Max, xiaomi mi note pro or meizu mx4 pro (can adjust gain by yourself) I think.

Feb 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,055 of 5,166
So after using my le max for about an year i have reached one conclusion. The software is really important and changes the signature and performance of dac chip. With the recent updates i would say eui 20s and onwards the performance of dac took a major hit.

Recently someone on xda suggested eui 18s for better speed and battery life. I was running eui 26s and downgraded to 18s to check what the fuss was all about. Eui 18s is much better in terms of overall speed and to my surprise there is big difference in performance of dac too. Akg tuning for what it's worth comes to life in 18s.

Lows are subtle with better defination and not boomy as on 26s. Vocals are borderline melodic as opposed to lifeless on 26s. Highs are subdued too but presents better image. Details are better too as general harshness has gone from the tuning.

There are two 18s versions and only september one offers this optimum performance.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,056 of 5,166
Wow this phone sounds amazing! Sadly will be too expensive for me might be a good option for you rich folk tho.

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/02/...n-body-ratio-half-display-fingerprint-sensor/

The new Screen Sound Casting Technology available on the Vivo APEX allows its display to function like a speaker and an earpiece. It vibrates the display to produce sound like a speaker. Compared to regular audio methods, this new technology consumes less power. With System in Package (SIP) technology onboard, the handset will be able to better Hi-Fi audio experience. Vivo has integrated three amplifiers and DAC under the hood of the concept phone.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,057 of 5,166
This will be a prototype of xplay7 and x30.

At least we know that they are still keeping 3.5 mm port for Hi-Fi.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,058 of 5,166
Which kind of adapter need Meizu pro 7 to get the best quality? An extension cable like LG Vxx?

Now the Pro 7 (non plus) has dropped the price and I'm considering it. I've been reading the thread and it seems a step below from the best but I assume still a good one or am I wrong?

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,059 of 5,166
First post here, after having read nearly everything :)
I am afraid my S7 Edge (Exynos) may die soon, so let's see if there is a perfect phone for me - at least a better sounding one.

Price range: undefined at the moment. I am willing to spend 400€, but if my insurance helps me, I will consider till 600€.
Headphones: ATH-M50x.
Screen size: the smaller body the better.
What kind of sound you wanna get: detail and soundstage.
What kind of music you mainly listen: many, many things.
Special requests: good luck :p
- Dual SIM
- French 4G/LTE bands: B3, B7, B20 are mandatory, B28 is a plus
- As I lost hearing on a ear, Samsung Adapt Sound is a nice feature for me. I would need a similar one, or at least a left/right independant equalizer.
- Ability to install custom ROMs to extend span life after the end of manufacturer's update is a big plus.
- I don't want to lose much performance.
- Better battery life would be good.
- Amoled is a plus.

Is there a better choice than the S8? :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,060 of 5,166
First post here, after having read nearly everything :)
I am afraid my S7 Edge (Exynos) may die soon, so let's see if there is a perfect phone for me - at least a better sounding one.

Price range: undefined at the moment. I am willing to spend 400€, but if my insurance helps me, I will consider till 600€.
Headphones: ATH-M50x.
Screen size: the smaller body the better.
What kind of sound you wanna get: detail and soundstage.
What kind of music you mainly listen: many, many things.
Special requests: good luck :p
- Dual SIM
- French 4G/LTE bands: B3, B7, B20 are mandatory, B28 is a plus
- As I lost hearing on a ear, Samsung Adapt Sound is a nice feature for me. I would need a similar one, or at least a left/right independant equalizer.
- Ability to install custom ROMs to extend span life after the end of manufacturer's update is a big plus.
- I don't want to lose much performance.
- Better battery life would be good.
- Amoled is a plus.

Is there a better choice than the S8? :)

LG V30+ Hongkong model (H930DS) is sold at 500 euro now in Thailand. I dont know if Europe has unofficial shop that sells imported phone like this or not. It has all functions you want including mandatory LTE bands) If you want the deal, I can find a way if any shop here can send you a phone. (But it has no warranty btw.)

Other two below has LTE band only 3,7. But I will just keep it in case you are interested.

Or even xplay6 is still a good choice. If you can find. You can still adjust left right balance via third party music app.

Meizu pro7/7+ is my third recommendation.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,061 of 5,166
Which kind of adapter need Meizu pro 7 to get the best quality? An extension cable like LG Vxx?

Now the Pro 7 (non plus) has dropped the price and I'm considering it. I've been reading the thread and it seems a step below from the best but I assume still a good one or am I wrong?

Yes, it can use same trick of cable adapter with lg v series.

Some opinion: I usually have re terminated all my plug into 2.5 balanced and just buy 2.5 to 3.5 adapter from effect audio. So you can enjoy ultra short adapter solution rather than long cable.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,063 of 5,166
So I have the LG V20 and was wondering what smartphone has the same quality with slightly more mid range warmth and thicker vocal? Preferably similar sounstage or wider thanks.

Is Xplay 6 warmer? Similar width?

Meizu pro 5 is not available anywhere and I’m not totally satisfied with the V20 being slightly cold/analytical in the vocal (although the detail and depth is impressive).

Am I forced to buy a high end DAP to achieve this sound? I hope not!

(BTW I don’t notice much if any of a difference between normal/aux/high impendance mode for my v20... other than loudness)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,064 of 5,166
LG V30+ Hongkong model (H930DS) is sold at 500 euro now in Thailand. I dont know if Europe has unofficial shop that sells imported phone like this or not. It has all functions you want including mandatory LTE bands) If you want the deal, I can find a way if any shop here can send you a phone. (But it has no warranty btw.)

Other two below has LTE band only 3,7. But I will just keep it in case you are interested.

Or even xplay6 is still a good choice. If you can find. You can still adjust left right balance via third party music app.

Meizu pro7/7+ is my third recommendation.
Thank you for your input! :)

I thought of LGs (especially the smaller H870DSU G6), but with locked bootloaders and LG being used to update for a short period after releases, I am afraid of ending up with an outdated system. Is there an Adapt Sound-like feature?

Meizu Pro 7 is a nice phone, but not for France :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back