Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 14, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,946 of 5,166
To be honest, if you are fine with ROG phone's bulk and poor software support, then go for it. But, in India, Samsung S20 FE 5G is a very good option not only as a smartphone but also for it's audio prowess. I am using it for almost 2 weeks now, and I can say it is way better than what my Redmi K20 Pro could sound even with Hi-Fi mode turned on.

Also, the Snapdragon 888 is a notorious chipset where almost all phones are facing heating and battery performance issues. It is advised to stick to last year's flagships unless you are perfectly fine with 888s issues. Snapdragon 865 is a much stable chipset and for day to day performance not that far behind 888.

Samsung has utilized Dolby very smartly here. And I have headroom for almost all portable gear I have. I too would have gone for Xperia if available in India without batting an eye.
Doese S20 FE 5G have a 3.5 mm jack?

I can confirm the S20 FE 4G version does not have a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,947 of 5,166
Doese S20 FE 5G have a 3.5 mm jack?

I can confirm the S20 FE 4G version does not have a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
No it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. But the audio out of USB-C port is definitely on par with 3.5mm jack. They also have a Dolby UHQ mode specifically for wired IEMs/headphones. Even I was looking for a device with 3.5mm jack but a phone is more than just a tool to listen music. Also, from price to performance, standpoint very few devices offer value+3.5mm jack. Asus ROG 5 on paper looks like a great device but it's next to impossible to use it as a daily driver unless you are a hardcore gamer who uses the device predominantly for gaming. TBH, 3.5mm jacks will be gradually phased out as more and more brands turn their focus on TWS IEMs. Ultimately, it's your choice and decision but as a suggestion I'd say check few reviews and relative options before spending 45k on ROG 5.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #3,948 of 5,166
Don't know about you guys but the just announced Sony Xperia 1 III looks amazing! The 3.5mm port is allegedly audiophile grade and Sony worked with Tidal to optimise streaming, including playing 360 files. Oh, it has a gorgeous 6.5" 4K OLED screen too. My next phone for sure. Delivery to start in the summer.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,949 of 5,166
Don't know about you guys but the just announced Sony Xperia 1 III looks amazing! The 3.5mm port is allegedly audiophile grade and Sony worked with Tidal to optimise streaming, including playing 360 files. Oh, it has a gorgeous 6.5" 4K OLED screen too. My next phone for sure. Delivery to start in the summer.
Might cost over €1200 and unfortunately is only available in Europe and US. Hope Sony gets it's pricing right with this one else Sony is LG 2.0 in the making.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,951 of 5,166
No it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. But the audio out of USB-C port is definitely on par with 3.5mm jack. They also have a Dolby UHQ mode specifically for wired IEMs/headphones. Even I was looking for a device with 3.5mm jack but a phone is more than just a tool to listen music. Also, from price to performance, standpoint very few devices offer value+3.5mm jack. Asus ROG 5 on paper looks like a great device but it's next to impossible to use it as a daily driver unless you are a hardcore gamer who uses the device predominantly for gaming. TBH, 3.5mm jacks will be gradually phased out as more and more brands turn their focus on TWS IEMs. Ultimately, it's your choice and decision but as a suggestion I'd say check few reviews and relative options before spending 45k on ROG 5.
Given the fact that nation wide 5G is only going to happen by 2023 in India and LG has publicly announced support for Android 12 on the G8X I am seriously thinking of replacing by S9 Plus with that later this year.. Available for around $300 with the second screen the phone has possibly the best price to performance ratio and its audio capabilities need no introduction..

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #3,952 of 5,166
Given the fact that nation wide 5G is only going to happen by 2023 in India and LG has publicly announced support for Android 12 on the G8X I am seriously thinking of replacing by S9 Plus with that later this year.. Available for around $300 with the second screen the phone has possibly the best price to performance ratio and its audio capabilities need no introduction..
It runs Snapdragon 855 which is over two years old and your after sales service is totally in the air considering many service centres have already shut down post the announcement. So if by any chance, you get a faulty device you are pretty much running from pillar to post to get it sorted as Amazon/Flipkart won't help you with the same. Also, you might get Android 12 but what about regular security patches? There's no mention of that. If you are ok with so many ifs and buts then go for it

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3,953 of 5,166
This wasn't on my radar but it sure is now! I reckon this will be my new phone as it has everything I would want, still has micro sd support and most importantly the 3.5mm audio jack. It looks beautiful too, made of glass and steel on the sides.

If I was going to upgrade, it would have been the S21 Ultra but I reckon the Xperia 1 III is more suited to me.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3,954 of 5,166
Come on, Samsung phones are not audiophile phones! They don't even have headphone jacks anymore, let alone the right hi-fi chops. On the other hand, with Sony you know you're getting all that plus the best LDAC experience with a good Bluetooth DAC /amp!

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,955 of 5,166
Come on, Samsung phones are not audiophile phones! They don't even have headphone jacks anymore, let alone the right hi-fi chops. On the other hand, with Sony you know you're getting all that plus the best LDAC experience with a good Bluetooth DAC /amp!
Yeah that is true. I was going to purchase a Bluetooth DAC/Amp of course to pair with it, but I reckon I'll just go for the Sony when it releases.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #3,957 of 5,166
With Xperia Mark 3 launch and my phone needing some servicing and with LG gone this phone seemed apt but was wondering if they have any DAC in it as it's highly expensive.

Sony unboxing official marketing video with Dom O'Brien shows absolutely nothing in Audio settings except a Dolby Atmos DSP and that 360 Reality Audio which is another software DSP, a real missed opportunity, as ASUS ROG5 got ESS9280AC Pro which supports high impedance headsets like LG. In my eyes if this phone has no DAC/AMP except that default Snapdragon crappy onboard DAC, then Sony is really missed the mark for a true High End smartphone for Audio and being a successor to LG. Esp their Walkman technologies would be mind blowing. There's no Impulse Response filters like ESS LG sets nor presets for Audio playback and recording like 24Bit FLAC recording with the Low Cut Filters and other filters which is available in the Video mode as well in my phone. Also no EQ to be found in the audio settings as well, shame as UAPP would have taken advantage of that but since there's no DAC probably they didn't add it.

I'm very interested in that phone for daily usage and getting my V30 serviced, but damn Sony had to muck it up somewhere, and you have to plonk $1200 for this phone, and it won't even see any price cuts. I know the HW is top class solid look and superb features, esp with the Camera and Display and no notch or hole on top of solid Stereo speakers (and a lott more). But my ESS tuned ears would really feel underwhelming. I wish they see this forum at-least for once to make their Walkman tech S-Master Amp into the phone most of the people around here would simply flock to that phone.

As for ROG5 sadly it's weak built and North American 4G / 5G will be surely spotty since Zenfone7 didn't even launch I guess, also it doesn't have an SD slot and has poor construction quality & no idea how their support is. At-least with Sony they are confident and still selling Xperia 1 mark 2 in US at somewhat reduced price.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #3,958 of 5,166
I might have missed the price announcement, where was it? From what I have seen, it is all speculations at this stage. People not happy with the price could go and buy an iPhone, they might be cheaper. Oh, wait... 🤔

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,959 of 5,166
I bought an older LG G7 as my mobile music player. As I have two decent Bluetooth headphones from Sony and Shure I tried of course to pair these with LDAC. But so far this did not work, the G7 always falls back to AAC. This gets confirmation form both the Sony and the Shure app. But both headphones can connect with LDAC as a Bluetooth codec with my tablet, a Lenovo Tab P11 Pro.
What went wrong and what could I do to get LDAC on the G7 too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back