Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 10, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #3,916 of 5,166
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,917 of 5,166
Yes I use USB audio player Pro with tidal MQA
is there any hissing or signal noise interference?
I think of upgrading from my rog2,
do you have any DAP to compare the sound ?
thank you, 🙏

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #3,918 of 5,166
Hello. I bought an LG G7 to use it mainly as a music player. It is currently with Android 8, but the update to Android 10 appears to download. If I upgrade, does it lose the ability to play mqa files? Basically, I use the Tidal app, both streaming and offline. In streaming, I use Tidal through the USB Player Pro application. In short: should I update to Android 10, as well as the updates that appear to me from Tidal and USB Player Pro, or do I stay on Android 8? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,919 of 5,166
A quick update on Xperia 5 Mk II. This is a much better source than LG V 30 (!), and presumably other V series phones since they all sound pretty much the same. Also I have just had a chat with a guy who has owned both phones as well as fiio m6 and he confirmed that Xperia is the best sounding of them all. I was really surprised that LG V 30 sounds worse than Xperia, i guess Sony doesn't have the recognition they deserve and very few people can say anything about their sound, let alone compare it to other devices
Hello. I have also thought about buying the Sony Xperia 5 II, but I read that it was not as good in audio as the LG V or LG G range. In this thread they talk about that topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv30/comments/jaf167/sony_xperia_5_ii_vs_lgv30_audio/

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,920 of 5,166
Hello. I have also thought about buying the Sony Xperia 5 II, but I read that it was not as good in audio as the LG V or LG G range. In this thread they talk about that topic:

Rest assured, Xperia sounds better. Even much better. As someone who has had both phones I think I am in the best position to speak on this matter :D but you can always buy the phone, test it for a couple of days and if you don't like it, return it. But trust me, you won't regret your purchase

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,921 of 5,166
Rest assured, Xperia sounds better. Even much better. As someone who has had both phones I think I am in the best position to speak on this matter :D but you can always buy the phone, test it for a couple of days and if you don't like it, return it. But trust me, you won't regret your purchase
I love the Sony Xperia 5 II for its size and specs, and audio quality is critical to me. Apparently, it does not have a dedicated DAC like the LG ... However, these are technical issues and what is important is the user's personal experience. I think that, as you say, it is best to try both smartphones and I am happy to hear your experience, because the Sony could consider it as my main smartphone. Thank you!

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3,922 of 5,166
is there any hissing or signal noise interference?
I think of upgrading from my rog2,
do you have any DAP to compare the sound ?
thank you, 🙏
No hissing or signal noise interference!
I don't have any DAP but use to have all around 1000Euro price before
To me sound is amazing and EQ and settings even better

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,923 of 5,166
I love the Sony Xperia 5 II for its size and specs, and audio quality is critical to me. Apparently, it does not have a dedicated DAC like the LG ... However, these are technical issues and what is important is the user's personal experience. I think that, as you say, it is best to try both smartphones and I am happy to hear your experience, because the Sony could consider it as my main smartphone. Thank you!
Most of the times, smartphone companies do a shoddy job of tuning the dedicated DACs and it is there just for the marketing (LG being an exception). And some companies, tune the inbuilt DAC of Qualcomm Snapdragon processors to sound like an audiophile gear. Xperia falls in the latter category, and it shows that if smartphone makers cared about audio quality then optimally utilizing the inbuilt DAC of their device processor is more than enough. Of late, Samsung with Dolby and Google too are doing a decent job wrt audio quality. Redmi did something similar with their Note 3 and Note 4 models but then they too succumbed to the camera arms race.

There is a reason why audio mods are able to enhance SQ of almost all Android devices. It is because the problem is not the hardware but the underutilization of the available resources.

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #3,924 of 5,166
Most of the times, smartphone companies do a shoddy job of tuning the dedicated DACs and it is there just for the marketing (LG being an exception). And some companies, tune the inbuilt DAC of Qualcomm Snapdragon processors to sound like an audiophile gear. Xperia falls in the latter category, and it shows that if smartphone makers cared about audio quality then optimally utilizing the inbuilt DAC of their device processor is more than enough. Of late, Samsung with Dolby and Google too are doing a decent job wrt audio quality. Redmi did something similar with their Note 3 and Note 4 models but then they too succumbed to the camera arms race.

There is a reason why audio mods are able to enhance SQ of almost all Android devices. It is because the problem is not the hardware but the underutilization of the available resources.
This reminds me of 2015/16 when HTC 10 using the internal Qualcomm DAC could go toe to toe with LG G5 equipped with a dedicated B&O audio module accessory in the sound department.A real pity that my options are now down to basically one phone i.e. Asus ROG 5(Sony exited the Indian mobile phone market a few years ago).

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3,926 of 5,166
The thing with rog 5 is it's extremely large, almost 7 inches, and is not durable at all. You drop it once and it can be goodbye (there's a video on youtube detailing it's durability)
It is not very durable but a case can fix that.I was just pointing out for someone who has a modest collection of wired headphones and dislikes dongles there is basically nothing else on sale in India except the LG G8X which is a 4G phone and will likely have poor after sales support given LGs exit from the smartphone market.Also my present Samsung S9 plus pairs beautifully with my AT M40X and I don't see the point of buying another 4G phone in 2021.

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,928 of 5,166
It does not have a quad dac, but as you can see it's not necessary to sound better than a phone which does :) anyway, let me know what you think if you decide to test it, but let me say it again, you won't regret your purchase :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3,929 of 5,166

Xperia may have good dac and sound good with high sensitivity iems but won't be able to drive full size headphones like Sennhiser or AKG or Beyerdynamic due to less powerful amp. Also note that V40, V50, G8 and some G7 (those made after V40 release with meridian tuning) have a touch warmer and more clear sound that V30. I guess Xperia may have a warmer sound but LGs respond well with EQ you can make your preferred sound if not using bit perfect.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #3,930 of 5,166
Xperia may have good dac and sound good with high sensitivity iems but won't be able to drive full size headphones like Sennhiser or AKG or Beyerdynamic due to less powerful amp. Also note that V40, V50, G8 and some G7 (those made after V40 release with meridian tuning) have a touch warmer and more clear sound that V30. I guess Xperia may have a warmer sound but LGs respond well with EQ you can make your preferred sound if not using bit perfect.
Yes, i can drive my iems just fine but i don't have a lot of headroom on my Xperia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back