Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 22, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,976 of 5,166
How is the audio section of the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 6 pro?

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #3,977 of 5,166
Thanks a lot!

Xperia is also aweosme~

I think my next upgrade will not be Poco anymore, they ditched the 3.5mm port in the Poco F3. So I am currently considering Asus ROG 5, which has good DAC and stereo speakers (?)
That will be great audiophile choice!
Great battery life with huge battery!
Great sound all works as it should be.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #3,981 of 5,166
The problem is, I keep my phone in my pcoket. I drive a lot

If it is really sensitive to bend, it can get caught between my leg and the steering wheel and it could break. Always been afraid of this happening to me :frowning2:

But it is good that we have options, and I may still pick it up thanks to its other features, and I guess I would just baby it more

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,985 of 5,166
I'd never heard of the Black Shark or Nubia phones before. I can't find any mention of a specific DAC though.

Yep, no one knows what kind of audio tech is inside. My current Poco Phone F2 PRO is upper midrange in terms of sound, comparable to using HIDIZS Sonata HD DAC on a cheaper phone, so they don't fail badly usually with the audio

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,986 of 5,166
Yep, i am also eyeing that one

My short list for phones this season is

Rog 5
Black Shark 4
Nubia Red Magic 6
Zenfone 8

wont even consider anything with no 3.5mm
All of them except ZenFone are gaming phones which have their pros and cons for non-gaming users. And all of the brands are notorious for their software support. Unless one is not going for a custom ROM then it's just that one has an DAP with minimal security. Also, Black shark 4 and Red Magic (DTS software optimization, having used both Dolby and DTS, DTS is a bit thin due to it's soundstage and ambient effects whereas Dolby sounds much fuller and richer) use stock Qualcomm DAC which is decent but not probably a deal-breaker for someone who is looking for a powerful audio performance. RoG only uses Sabre DAC with their NX amps. ZenFone will most probably have Qualcomm DAC with their NX amps inline. Also, have tried their NX amps, they're good for speakers but very mediocre for earphones. Also, if you are going to connect a portable DAC/Amp on top of your smartphone then, the use of 3.5mm jack is rendered more or less useless. Camera is primary selling point for ZenFone to compete with OP, Samsung and Mi.

Your best bet is Xperia 1 MK3 if 3.5mm is such a hard requirement although it's damn expensive and probably the combined cost of the aforementioned options.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #3,988 of 5,166
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,989 of 5,166
More can be found here - https://www.nxp.com/products/audio-and-radio/audio-amplifiers/portable-device-amplifiers:MC_71426

Asus has been using them for sometime. RoG 5 won't have this as they're using Dirac to optimise output. NXP is used on their ZenFone lineup frequently and it is expected that ZenFone 8 will have them too.

Meizu Pro5 is one of my favorite HiFi phone, it use several discrete amp chips, including NXP amp: ES9018K2M DAC + OPA1612 opamp + NXP PBSS for headphone amp.

LG phones instead only use ESS DAC's internal amp function, with full size phones like Hifiman HD560, I can hear big difference

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #3,990 of 5,166
Meizu Pro5 is one of my favorite HiFi phone, it use several discrete amp chips, including NXP amp: ES9018K2M DAC + OPA1612 opamp + NXP PBSS for headphone amp.

LG phones instead only use ESS DAC's internal amp function, with full size phones like Hifiman HD560, I can hear big difference
If one has access to this device in their region then it's a no brainer but sadly Meizu has scaled down its global operations in last 3-4 years. Only drawback is software on the whole, else a solid DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back