Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,961 of 5,166
Hello,

Recently I was thinking about trying a smartphone + dongle combo against DAPs. I really like my Hiby R3 Pro, but I was thinking...
Will some small budget smartphone with a nice battery and balanced dongle like iBasso DC01 or the A&K dongle will provid better SQ?
From Your experience how is the battery life? I achieve around 13-15h of playback with R3 Pro using BAL out.
Even older Android smartphone should provid better UI and ergonomics.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #3,962 of 5,166
There a re cheap smartphones with huge batteries, 5,000 mAh or even more and those should last quite a while. It also depends how you use that phone, as a DAP only or you activate its Wi-Fi and phone capabilities to stream. Then you need to purchase UAPP for Android phones to be capable of properly using the external dongle. Sound quality depends exclusively on the external USB DAC so chose wisely :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #3,963 of 5,166
I bought an older LG G7 as my mobile music player. As I have two decent Bluetooth headphones from Sony and Shure I tried of course to pair these with LDAC. But so far this did not work, the G7 always falls back to AAC. This gets confirmation form both the Sony and the Shure app. But both headphones can connect with LDAC as a Bluetooth codec with my tablet, a Lenovo Tab P11 Pro.
What went wrong and what could I do to get LDAC on the G7 too?
Did you enabled the "best quality" option instead of "most stable" in the specific bluetooth settings for your headphones separately?

Most stable setting provides aac, while best quality would offer Ldac and AptxHD.

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #3,964 of 5,166
There a re cheap smartphones with huge batteries, 5,000 mAh or even more and those should last quite a while. It also depends how you use that phone, as a DAP only or you activate its Wi-Fi and phone capabilities to stream. Then you need to purchase UAPP for Android phones to be capable of properly using the external dongle. Sound quality depends exclusively on the external USB DAC so chose wisely :)
Yes, I enabled developer options, then either in Bluetooth Audio LDAC codec "best effort" or "optimal for audio" then in Bluetooth Audio Codec "LDAC".

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #3,965 of 5,166
Yes, I enabled developer options, then either in Bluetooth Audio LDAC codec "best effort" or "optimal for audio" then in Bluetooth Audio Codec "LDAC".
What about the phone's Bluetooth menu? You have to activate LDAC there as well. Simply go there and in the list of paired devices select your headphone config and third option down is LDAC. I know my BTR5 won't do LDAC until that option is ticked.

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #3,967 of 5,166
What about the phone's Bluetooth menu? You have to activate LDAC there as well. Simply go there and in the list of paired devices select your headphone config and third option down is LDAC. I know my BTR5 won't do LDAC until that option is ticked.
Indeed, this was the solution: in the Bluetooth menu I clicked the options of the connected headphone then clicked connectivity and then best sound quality. Now I can use LDAC even on my Samsung Tablet S6 that I had ridiculed so far.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,968 of 5,166
I bought an older LG G7 as my mobile music player. As I have two decent Bluetooth headphones from Sony and Shure I tried of course to pair these with LDAC. But so far this did not work, the G7 always falls back to AAC. This gets confirmation form both the Sony and the Shure app. But both headphones can connect with LDAC as a Bluetooth codec with my tablet, a Lenovo Tab P11 Pro.
What went wrong and what could I do to get LDAC on the G7 too?
you need to unlock developers mode and go with that option to select ldac or aptx hd

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,969 of 5,166
ASUS forthcoming camera orientated flagship could be a killer, apparantly 3 models, zenphone 8 mini, zenphone 8 pro and zenphone 8 pro, with the audiophile grade DAC and 3.5mm and improvements on the camera, hopefully, periscope zoom camera, we could have a winner here which will kill all other android flagships this year.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #3,972 of 5,166
The Poco sure looks nice but I'll keep waiting for the Xperia 1 III as that's close enough to a DAP 😊 Nice review though!

Thanks a lot!

Xperia is also aweosme~

I think my next upgrade will not be Poco anymore, they ditched the 3.5mm port in the Poco F3. So I am currently considering Asus ROG 5, which has good DAC and stereo speakers (?)

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,975 of 5,166
Yeah, the Asus Rog 5 looks good, especially the top 16 GB RAM and 256 GB storage version. That one is still half the price of a Samsung flagship, amazing value. Keen to find out more about its DAC.

I promise to do a proper full review on it too :)

Hi, did you get a chance to try any DSD files? Does it support native DSD playback? For instance, vivo nex s supports native dsd playback of dsd64 whereas lg g8x (android version 9) supports native playback of dsd64 and dsd128.

I shoud check about it too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back