Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #3,482 of 5,168
Ok. I have lost faith in humanity. ;(

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #3,483 of 5,168
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #3,484 of 5,168
but do i have to update it to android 10? if i dont, im good right? im gonna recieve the phone next week, Ive had a Samsung A5 for 3 or 4 years, so its gonna be fun getting a prev flagship phone (this phone will be extremely premium for me)! ive only used phones to call, sms and some occasionally surfing.

If you stick to Android 9 with LG V40 then no problem at all. DoP is supported. It remains to be seen if your V40 is comming with Android 10 pre-loaded or not. Chances are slim though as I think it will be pre-loaded with Android 9 only.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #3,485 of 5,168
I dont think it will come with android 10 stick if it was that you meant? it didnt say 10 in the ad. and i think my phone has been in the shop? s storage for some time since these phone arent popular in Norway at all! mostlyt Samsung and Apple that are offered to customers. Some huawei and nokias. And actually a few Xiaomi models lately. thats it

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #3,486 of 5,168
I dont think it will come with android 10 stick if it was that you meant? it didnt say 10 in the ad. and i think my phone has been in the shop? s storage for some time since these phone arent popular in Norway at all! mostlyt Samsung and Apple that are offered to customers. Some huawei and nokias. And actually a few Xiaomi models lately. thats it

Then I think it will be Android 9 with LG V40 for your case. It has just been a month Android 10 is released for V40. Enjoy!!!

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #3,487 of 5,168
Then I think it will be Android 9 with LG V40 for your case. It has just been a month Android 10 is released for V40. Enjoy!!!
Thank you! i bought UAPP, but need to read myself up a bit on how it works! i got Oppo Pm3 that i gonna use, but i am also curious about a chi-fi IEM that pairs well with Lg V40 and is kind of dark sounding since u got hyperacusis , so bright headsets like RHA T20 doesnt pairs well with my hearingdamage. Is there anything else i should know/buy for my v40?

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #3,488 of 5,168
Thank you! i bought UAPP, but need to read myself up a bit on how it works! i got Oppo Pm3 that i gonna use, but i am also curious about a chi-fi IEM that pairs well with Lg V40 and is kind of dark sounding since u got hyperacusis , so bright headsets like RHA T20 doesnt pairs well with my hearingdamage. Is there anything else i should know/buy for my v40?

First let the handset come to you. Listen with what you have. If you are happy with how its sounds, nothing else matters. :smile_phones:

Meridian tuned V40 is said to have a slightly mellower and softer sound signature than B&O tuned V30. Both handsets in terms of audio sound signature have their strengths & weaknesses. It all boils down to personal preferences. Only a fool will tell one is better than the other.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #3,489 of 5,168
I think the very best experience you will ever have, and the most convenient, is to get a great Bluetooth headphone, such as the Drop + THX Panda. First be very confident because this is true, well done Bluetooth sounds as good as any wired connection. Bluetooth technology and headphone designs using it have become very, very good. There is no reason not to embrace wireless headphones, certainly for portable. I actually loved the Oppo PM3 and it was my portable headphone of choice. I even had PETEREK from here in the forums make me a custom cable so that I could drive the PM3 balanced using my Onkyo DPX1. I loved the sound of the PM3 and the Onkyo, it was so nice to have that type of setup for on the go. But I kept getting the cable yanked and caught on things when riding public transit. One day I had had enough and I was worried all the time about my gear getting damaged so I decided to start learning and using Bluetooth headphones for portable use.

I have never gone back to wired headphones for portable use and I never will. Bluetooth is that good to me. So why am I suggesting the Drop + THX Panda to you? Because Drop purchased all of the rights to the Oppo headphone technology and the new headphone is literally built from and inspired by the same technology as the Oppo line of headphones, and that was a fantastic lineup. It was a huge loss in my opinion when Oppo exited the headphone business, but now Drop is going to be able to keep some of those amazing designs alive. I think the Drop + will be extremely comfortable, it will be very well designed and most importantly it is going to sound very good. That is my educated guess so if you really want to enjoy the best quality audio on the go using your V40, plus the fact that clearly you like the PM3 makes me feel strongly about bringing the Drop + up for your consideration.

There are many fantastic portable Bluetooth headphones to consider, the Drop + is one of many solid choices. I have owned quite a few and the next Bluetooth headphone I will try is without a doubt the Drop +. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #3,490 of 5,168
I have a v40 now for two months. Very good phone. From every perspective. Maybe it could be a little better battery but ok.
It also sounds great. Before that I had a Sony nw-wm1a DAP.
Of course, the Sony DAP was better in sound ... but the phone is not expected to be the same as the DAP.
Plus I now use TIDAL and UAPP a lot. It is possible to enjoy very much.
But I need to find some more suitable headphones.

greetings,
Simon

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #3,491 of 5,168
Meridian tuned V40 is said to have a slightly mellower and softer sound signature than B&O tuned V30. Both handsets in terms of audio sound signature have their strengths & weaknesses. It all boils down to personal preferences. Only a fool will tell one is better than the other.

I agree with you.:thumbsup:

(I like V50&G8 sound more than V30&G7 but i didn't say which one is better.)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #3,492 of 5,168
I have a v40 now for two months. Very good phone. From every perspective. Maybe it could be a little better battery but ok.
It also sounds great. Before that I had a Sony nw-wm1a DAP.
Of course, the Sony DAP was better in sound ... but the phone is not expected to be the same as the DAP.
Plus I now use TIDAL and UAPP a lot. It is possible to enjoy very much.
But I need to find some more suitable headphones.

greetings,
Simon

Ibasso sr1 is great even with smartphone.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #3,493 of 5,168
I think the very best experience you will ever have, and the most convenient, is to get a great Bluetooth headphone, such as the Drop + THX Panda. First be very confident because this is true, well done Bluetooth sounds as good as any wired connection. Bluetooth technology and headphone designs using it have become very, very good. There is no reason not to embrace wireless headphones, certainly for portable. I actually loved the Oppo PM3 and it was my portable headphone of choice. I even had PETEREK from here in the forums make me a custom cable so that I could drive the PM3 balanced using my Onkyo DPX1. I loved the sound of the PM3 and the Onkyo, it was so nice to have that type of setup for on the go. But I kept getting the cable yanked and caught on things when riding public transit. One day I had had enough and I was worried all the time about my gear getting damaged so I decided to start learning and using Bluetooth headphones for portable use.

I have never gone back to wired headphones for portable use and I never will. Bluetooth is that good to me. So why am I suggesting the Drop + THX Panda to you? Because Drop purchased all of the rights to the Oppo headphone technology and the new headphone is literally built from and inspired by the same technology as the Oppo line of headphones, and that was a fantastic lineup. It was a huge loss in my opinion when Oppo exited the headphone business, but now Drop is going to be able to keep some of those amazing designs alive. I think the Drop + will be extremely comfortable, it will be very well designed and most importantly it is going to sound very good. That is my educated guess so if you really want to enjoy the best quality audio on the go using your V40, plus the fact that clearly you like the PM3 makes me feel strongly about bringing the Drop + up for your consideration.

There are many fantastic portable Bluetooth headphones to consider, the Drop + is one of many solid choices. I have owned quite a few and the next Bluetooth headphone I will try is without a doubt the Drop +. Good luck whatever you decide.

Have u tested the Drop + Panda? A little time ago i was lookkng at BT headset's and the 2 i looked into was Drop + Panda and Audeze Mobius. Was very keen on the mobius cause of all the features etc. But quite a fee said that it was a headset you wont go outdoor's with. And i dont need the gaming stuff. And the price is still quite high up here.

The Panda seems great, but since i had to put money upfront many months before release and it will end up quite pricey 399 usd + shipping to Norway+ Vat 25%+ etc= around 565 usd!. So i thought if i could spend the same amount in the used market now, what will i get?

Then suddenly a guy here in Norway was going to sell his Oppo PM-3. He wanted 375 usd for it so i ignored his ad for a while.. after some time the ad was still up( most people here want beats, BT sets like Xm3, B&O H9, BW p9 etc) so i got in touch with him. And he was a friend of a friend. So i ended up paying around 160+ a iem i almost never used. thought that was a good deal.

Btw, This is very subjective but Oratory is a fan of PM3 and he also had the panda for test and ge said that the Pm3 was much better , measured better if i remember right. So i need to wait until it gets cheaper. But cables arent a problem for me.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #3,494 of 5,168
I agree with you.:thumbsup:

(I like V50&G8 sound more than V30&G7 but i didn't say which one is better.)
V50 and g8 has the same chip as v40 i think. The V60 has the newest chip, but that or G8X will be my next phone in some years,!

Gonna be so good to have a phone thay works like a dap=)

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #3,495 of 5,168
V50 and g8 has the same chip as v40 i think. The V60 has the newest chip, but that or G8X will be my next phone in some years,!

Gonna be so good to have a phone thay works like a dap=)

a) ESS ES9218P SABRE (LG's QuadDAC, 2nd Gen)

Specs:
1) Supports playback of upto 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD256 audio files.
2) SNR: 130 dB
3) THD+N: -114 dB
4) Integrated headphone amplifier can output upto 2 Vrms.

Used in: LG V20, G6/G6+, V30/V30+, G7/G7+, V40, G8, V50, G8X/ V50S

b) ESS ES9219 (LG's QuadDAC, 3rd Gen)

Specs:
1) Supports playback of upto 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD512 audio files.
2) SNR: 130 dB
3) THD+N: -114 dB
4) Integrated headphone amplifier can output upto 2 Vrms.
5) New improvements where made to reduce BOM size and cost of SoC

Used in: V60

In the end I believe the their are negligible performance improvements if any, but ESS was able to reduce cost of the chip while maintaining same performance levels. However I do not own a V60, so cannot confirm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back