Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 3, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,466 of 5,168
I think it is always a debate - whether I need a digital audio player (DAP)? Can't I use my phone as a source? Personally, as a DAP user, I would say I use DAP as a music source because I do not want my phone battery to be spent on music playback. I would rather bring a DAP with me solely for music listening. The other concern is memory. As an iPhone user, I want my 256GB onboard memory to be well-spent for photos etc.

If the above two concerns are irrelevant to you, I think using a smartphone as a music source is definitely not an issue. But how? I tried this yesterday and I think it is worth sharing. This is for iPhone but I think can be relevant to Android users. First of all, the music player application on your phone will be important. The application should be able to playback most of the file type with different bit and sampling rate. I spent SGD$15 to purchase the Onkyo Singapore HF Player from App Store and it fulfil all the basic requirements.

DD6F1B1F-4015-4D7D-90A3-8ECC958D2AF0_1_201_a.jpeg

Now, moving your recordings to the phone. For Android users, a SD card would be useful so the recordings do not consume your onboard memory. For iPhone users, no choice, you have to mess around with what you have. I am glad that I have 256GB onboard and normally I store my photos on iCloud (with subscription). So, I have plenty of memory space for my recordings. Connect your iPhone to iTunes via PC, go to file sharing and drag your music library into Onkyo HF Player. Once the copying is completed, you are good to go.
Next, getting an external USB DAC and amplifier. I think as an audiophile, everyone should understand the capabilities of an external USB DAC and amplifier. It helps to decode and amplify the recordings better. I use Lotoo Paw S1. The retail price is SGD$269 for bundle with iPhone OTG cable. It connects to iPhone easily and works flawlessly.

ADD9224A-7D2B-4710-BADD-82CD33E6E033_1_201_a.jpeg

Last but not least, a pair of decent headphones or IEMs. Since you save some money from investing a DAP, probably you can get a more decent headphones or IEMs here. I am pairing this setup with my Itsfit LAB - Custom IEMs Fusion CIEMs. With the 4.4mm balanced stock cable, I get to utilised the balanced output implemented in Paw S1. It gives a lower noise floor and greater output power.

2FB1E4D2-0C56-4460-9A5A-C798CF10E058_1_201_a.jpeg

To conclude, the total cost for this setup is SGD$1584 (Fusion is retailing at ~SGD$1300). The total price is dependent on the USB DAC and IEMs chosen. This could be a good path for you especially if you have a stricter budget. Audio is no longer a rich man's hobby. We have tons of alternatives. Let me know if you have any doubts, we can discuss them together! Cheers!

One of the Main reasons I wanted a phone instead of a dap to be a secondary source of my music is that aside from playing music, I also wanted for it to have a camera, fm radio and calls/texts for added practically and usability but thats it, thats why I tend to look older phones such as the nokia n8 (im also looking at their windows phones since it had decent hardware specs and not an android phone. Im also having some interest with older iPhones) and certainly wont get you distracted, possible downsides are battery life, power output, and to be able to play wide range of files. If only theres a Dap that has the capabilities of a basic phone and camera with great sound, that'll be great, at least for me.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #3,467 of 5,168
I think it is always a debate - whether I need a digital audio player (DAP)? Can't I use my phone as a source? Personally, as a DAP user, I would say I use DAP as a music source because I do not want my phone battery to be spent on music playback. I would rather bring a DAP with me solely for music listening. The other concern is memory. As an iPhone user, I want my 256GB onboard memory to be well-spent for photos etc.

If the above two concerns are irrelevant to you, I think using a smartphone as a music source is definitely not an issue. But how? I tried this yesterday and I think it is worth sharing. This is for iPhone but I think can be relevant to Android users. First of all, the music player application on your phone will be important. The application should be able to playback most of the file type with different bit and sampling rate. I spent SGD$15 to purchase the Onkyo Singapore HF Player from App Store and it fulfil all the basic requirements.

DD6F1B1F-4015-4D7D-90A3-8ECC958D2AF0_1_201_a.jpeg

Now, moving your recordings to the phone. For Android users, a SD card would be useful so the recordings do not consume your onboard memory. For iPhone users, no choice, you have to mess around with what you have. I am glad that I have 256GB onboard and normally I store my photos on iCloud (with subscription). So, I have plenty of memory space for my recordings. Connect your iPhone to iTunes via PC, go to file sharing and drag your music library into Onkyo HF Player. Once the copying is completed, you are good to go.
Next, getting an external USB DAC and amplifier. I think as an audiophile, everyone should understand the capabilities of an external USB DAC and amplifier. It helps to decode and amplify the recordings better. I use Lotoo Paw S1. The retail price is SGD$269 for bundle with iPhone OTG cable. It connects to iPhone easily and works flawlessly.

ADD9224A-7D2B-4710-BADD-82CD33E6E033_1_201_a.jpeg

Last but not least, a pair of decent headphones or IEMs. Since you save some money from investing a DAP, probably you can get a more decent headphones or IEMs here. I am pairing this setup with my Itsfit LAB - Custom IEMs Fusion CIEMs. With the 4.4mm balanced stock cable, I get to utilised the balanced output implemented in Paw S1. It gives a lower noise floor and greater output power.

2FB1E4D2-0C56-4460-9A5A-C798CF10E058_1_201_a.jpeg

To conclude, the total cost for this setup is SGD$1584 (Fusion is retailing at ~SGD$1300). The total price is dependent on the USB DAC and IEMs chosen. This could be a good path for you especially if you have a stricter budget. Audio is no longer a rich man's hobby. We have tons of alternatives. Let me know if you have any doubts, we can discuss them together! Cheers!
Even with $100 you can achieve sound quality that was reserved to a market niche 20 years ago. Just grab a USB type C dongle for your smartphone (such as the Meizu hifi pro), some entry-level IEMs (RE400 for instance) and a subcription to a music streaming service, and you have access to almost any music in the world with a very good level of fidelity. That was just a fantasy 20 years ago.

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3,468 of 5,168
I am very pleased with the V40. I am currently exploring all possible music at TIDAL.
Some albums sound very good.
But my FLACs still sound much better through the UAPP app.

I have the same phone and looks like i will be keeping it awhile. *Anything* after this phone, LG f-ed things up one way or another. From V50 on DSD is converted to PCM, which is completely unacceptable as it negates the whole purpose of the format. And the V60? LG didn't pay for licensing of either MQA or DTS (that's why it's now labelled "LG 3D audio")--so it loses both those, and still converts the DSD audio. So it may have a spanking new ESS 9219 chip (finally!)...but LG disabled it's best features. They also made it a monstrous beast and like 800 lbs weight. To some what it does with DSD makes no difference, but nearly all my media is DSD from my disc collection, so that's a big bad deal!

Looks like the V40 is the best LG phone of the bunch for the audiophile. I finally got used to the size increase over the svelte V30 (it doesn't weigh a ridiculous amount more), but has the superior Meridian tuning over the V30, which makes a difference with quality headphones. Most importantly, it has all the goodies stripped off the latest model: true DTS sound, MQA hardware encoding for Tidal, and PURE DSD PLAYBACK!!

--------------------------------------------------------

From the UAPP developer himself...seems everything after the V40 converts now (V50/G8X/etc)--and MQA support was dropped with the V60.

V50: Includes MQA decoding. The V50 does not feature DoP. The LG Music app will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM, whereas UAPP converts to 352800Hz PCM.

V60: V60 does *not* feature MQA or DoP encoding.

It is true that V60 or G8X does not support DoP, which signifies V60 is not able to transport DSD over its USB-C port. To transmit DSD data on a USB using DoP is to package the DSD data in PCM form. To be clear, this is NOT a data conversion from DSD to PCM. The data are unchanged. Now with DoP gone, LG Music app in V60 will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM while transporting through USB. With my LG V30+ which is on Android 9 supporting DoP, the DAC on the other side of V30's USB connection must also be DoP compliant in order to reassemble the DoP PCM bits into a continuous DSD stream.

But in not having DoP support, does it mean V60 is not able to play native DSD files between its LG Music app and the inbuilt ESS DAC? There is no USB between the music app & the DAC.

I mean to say if I play a DSD file on V60, will the ESS DAC perform direct DSD conversion inside the ESS DAC? I think it should.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #3,469 of 5,168
Finally i got LG G8(2cams) .
So sound style is similar to V50(Maybe same) but i dont have V50 to do AB test(i sold my V50 on January)
and i'm so suprised the front cam on G8 has autofocus!(V50 dont have.)

Maybe G8 is a my last LG phones. LG is good phone but other is better. V60 is very disappoint phone.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,470 of 5,168
Hey! What is considered the best audiophile phone? Xplay 5s or 6, NEX s, LG v30/v40/G7 (these are those i know of) and how will you rank them?
Do someone own both vivo and LG to compare? that would be nice i need a phone and want one with good audio!

Thanks

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #3,471 of 5,168
Hey! What is considered the best audiophile phone? Xplay 5s or 6, NEX s, LG v30/v40/G7 (these are those i know of) and how will you rank them?
Do someone own both vivo and LG to compare? that would be nice i need a phone and want one with good audio!

Thanks
Best of vivo is xplay6 while best of lg is lg v40.

Just toss the coin.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #3,472 of 5,168
Best of vivo is xplay6 while best of lg is lg v40.

Just toss the coin.

Thanks! So lGv40 and Xplay6 is equally good? If they are, i think i go for LGv40 then. Much easier to find for sale, cheaper and newer?

Now i just have to decide if im gonna buy a used (very good condition) for 180 usd or a brand new unlocked on in ebay/amazon. Not just sure what guarantees etc i have and how good LG customer service are. Anyone know?

And G7 and LGv40 is almost the same phone?

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #3,474 of 5,168
Dont know what happend here. quotes everywhere in my reply!
Its gonna be v40 then. heard v50 and v60 lacked some features, so then its just the G8 left. It comes up as the best hifi phone on a regularer google search, but what do u think? i dont wanna spend as much as a v50 or v60 anyway. Need to have cash for other headphones!

So when it comes to audiophone and LG, LGV40 reigns supreme?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #3,475 of 5,168
I prefer V40's sound more than G7. :relaxed:
And V40 is the best LG for sound? heard that v50 and v60 lacked some functions? anyway the v60 is to expensive for me now. wanna have some money to spend on headgear also=)

What about G8? when i google the best audio phone, LG g8 comes up.. But as ive understand, the V40 Reigns supreme?

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #3,476 of 5,168
Thanks! So lGv40 and Xplay6 is equally good? If they are, i think i go for LGv40 then. Much easier to find for sale, cheaper and newer?

Now i just have to decide if im gonna buy a used (very good condition) for 180 usd or a brand new unlocked on in ebay/amazon. Not just sure what guarantees etc i have and how good LG customer service are. Anyone know?

And G7 and LGv40 is almost the same phone?

What is your earphone? And what kind of music you listened.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #3,477 of 5,168

Thanks

I live in India, hence I buy smartphones which are readily available here and are Google certified. Google eco-system and its security are mandatory requirements for me in a phone. Almost all major smartphone manufacturers have their manufacturing plants in our country and phones are relatively cheaper than other countries due to fierce market competition.

I personally own following phones with dedicated DACs:

1) LG V30+ (A pair of them)

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9218P SABRE (DAC + Integrated Headphone Amplifier, LG's QuadDAC)
Standard Mode: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341
Native DSD Playback Support: Yes (DSD64 & DSD128)
Soc: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
---

2) Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China)

HiFi Mode: Cirrus Logic CS43199 (DAC) + 3 X Analog Devices SSM6322 (Headphone Amplifiers, stacked triple-stage amplification)
Standard Mode: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9340
Native DSD Playback Support: Yes (DSD64)
Soc: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
---

3) Lenovo Vibe X3

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifiers, stacked two-stage amplification)
Standard Mode: Wolfson WM8281
Native DSD Playback Support: No
Soc: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
---

4) Vivo X5Max

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9018K2M SABRE (DAC) + ESS SABRE9601K (I/V converter) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier)
Standard Mode: Qualcomm generic audio codec
Soc: Qualcomm Snapdragon 615
---

5) Vivo V5Plus (Vivo X9 in China)

HiFi Mode: AKM AK4376 (DAC + Integrated Headphone Amplifier)
Soc: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625
---

6) Meizu 16th (Meizu 16 in China)

Standard Mode: Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341 (DAC + Integrated Headphone Amplifier)
(A better implementation than AKM AK4376, as implemented in high performance mode in 16th)
---

I am a music lover. My job requires lot of travelling so I pick smartphones with good music playback capabilities & great audio quality over 3.5 mm audio jack.

It all started in 2014, when I first bought the Vivo X5Max. Stellar audio quality courtesy the holy trinity of ES9018K2M, SABRE9601K and OPA1612 combination in a phone. Audio was heaven on earth back then on this phone. Still is. I listen to this phone even today, it has the level of resolution & detail which was unheard back then and still is. Very accurate and natural sounding and sometimes may sound downright clinical. However it has the level of audio resolution which is very hard to come by in smartphones. To my eyes a collectors item. However it lacked the juice to power proper sized cans, hence best options were to stick to good in-ear earphones and maybe some very efficient headphones. And may I add X5Max holds the record of the thinnest smartphone in the world at just 5.1 mm and still Vivo was able to add a headphone jack with excellent audio quality. I just laugh when jerks speak removal of audio jacks was necessary to slim down the phone.

The next phone I bought was the Lenovo Vibe X3. Back in 2016, this phone was selling like hot cakes in our country. A proper flagship of a phone with great audio capabilities. Vibe X3 simply put in my eyes was Lenovo's (aka Motorola) best phone ever created in its respective time-frame. Using an even more advanced ESS dac and stacked dual-stage OPA1612 headphone amplifiers instead of just one in X5Max, it provided what X5Max desperately lacked, the ability to drive big over-the-ear headphones. From headphone drive perspective this was definitely a huge jump in the right direction for a smartphone. X3 had two dedicated audio paths. The "Turbo Hi-Fi" is for purists using ES9018C2M and triple OPA1612 configuration. The sound quality was sublime, more melodious and slightly mellower sounding than X5Max. But this time with good amount of drive capability. You can properly drive Sennheiser HD598 with Vibe X3. The "Standard Hi-Fi" on the other hand used Wolfson WM8281 audio codec, which was leagues ahead of Qualcomm audio solutions back then. Vibe X3 was also the overall better device of the two. And X3 had the best front firing stereo speaker I have ever heard on any phone. Period. It even had Dolby ATMOS so the speakers sounded very musical. It was a complete multimedia powerhouse. I am a keeper so I still own my Vibe X3.

A year later Vivo introduced the Xplay 6, with slightly upgraded but near identical audio hardware setup to Lenovo Vibe X3 as mentioned below:

Lenovo Vibe X3: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifiers, stacked two-stage amplification)
Vivo Xplay 6: ESS ES9038Q2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1622 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1622 (Headphone Amplifiers, stacked two-stage amplification)

I was very keen on this device as it was Vivo's first phone with native DSD playback capability with hardware decoding support inside the DAC. This produces the best audio quality I can think off. This was the first opportunity for me to load all the precious DSD collection as DSF & DFF files in a smartphone. Sadly Vivo India never launched this phone here. A close friend of mine, an audio buff to the core once traveled to China due to business reasons and had the opportunity to test the Xplay 6. He listened to same songs on Xplay 6 and Lenovo Vibe X3 side-by-side and came to the following conclusion: Both phones sounds near identical with any type of PCM audio files and HiFi mode enabled, having same audio sound signature & resolution. But with native DSD playback enabled Xplay 6 goes to another realm and is a step above Vibe X3. Only DSD64 is available for native playback, and on this mode it can slay many expensive portable players. I trust him and I regret not having one till date.

Next LG V30+ grabbed my attention. I always knew V series was great for audio so had a V30+ for last two years. I am so impressed with this phone I recently bought another one for my wife. I got the new one three month back for a bargain price of $150 brand new. Simply put the ESS ES9218P SABRE (Quad DAC) is one of the best audio implementations I have ever heard on a smartphone. B&O tuned V30+ have the attack of X5Max, actually it is the big brother of X5Max in maintaining the same sound signature. Natural sounding, crystal clear, ultra revealing are some words that come to my mind while thinking of V30+. But the biggest advantage of ES9218P SABRE is headphone drive capability, with 2 Vrms in disposal. I am able to drive almost all of my over the ear headphones with ease. The second biggest advantage of V30+ is native DSD playback with support for both DSD64 & DSD128. Having 128GB internal memory + 256 GB memory card, it has all the space required for my entire DSD collection in the phone.

The last phone I want to talk about is my Vivo NEX (NEX S in China). Very few people know about this phone. I own one as it is readily available in India with full Google certification in place. Not only is it a high end flagship device with SD845 & 8 gigs of ram but as you have guessed very good headphone audio quality with 130 dB SNR & -115 dB (THD+N). The NEX is the only other phone that can truly rival the LG's Quad DAC while having a sound signature that is drastically different compared to LGs. This makes NEX so special to me. Every DAC manufacturer have its own sound signature, hence playing back the same song on LG V30+ & Vivo NEX provides very different experiences with same headphones. Where as with V30+ the sound signature is detailed with incredible instrument separation and a vertically narrow sound-stage, the NEX with Cirrus Logic DACs produces warm, textured sound with awesome vocals and super wide sound-stage in the horizontal plain. Vocals just shine on NEX and this phone have the ability to create a big sound stage. If you hear Norah Jones on NEX, it feels like you are in her live concert, but if you hear the same song on V30+, it will picking every nuances of her breath while she is singing the song and reveal every micro-detail of the song. NEX also have a lot of headphone driving power just like the V30+, and with cans over 50 ohms NEX starts to flex its muscles. Micro details now gets even more prominent on NEX.

Lastly, NEX has perhaps the best native DSD playback in a phone. It is only the second phone from Vivo's stable after Xplay 6 to support native DSD playback. It supports only DSD64, but the level is much higher than DSD128 on my LG V30+. I am talking on a subjective level though. In NEX there is a dedicated professional DSD mode switch in sound settings. If that switch is disabled and I play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 files, all files will be software decoded from DSD to PCM by the default music player and get played. But if I enable the DSD switch, its like Pure Direct mode gets enabled, and all other types of notification sounds gets immediately disabled. In this mode raw DSD gets fed to the DAC for hardware decoding inside the DAC. I can now play DSD64 using default music player while NEX produces the best DSD listening experience to my ears on a smartphone. Others may vary.

So yeah.. it all boils down to two phones for me, LG V30+ and Vivo NEX S. I cannot choose one, I need both for providing two distinctly different flavors of the same song in my ears. Now the choice is yours.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,478 of 5,168
I live in India, hence I buy smartphones which are readily available here and are Google certified. Google eco-system and its security are mandatory requirements for me in a phone. Almost all major smartphone manufacturers have their manufacturing plants in our country and phones are relatively cheaper than other countries due to fierce market competition.

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9218P SABRE (LG's QuadDAC)
---

HiFi Mode: Cirrus Logic CS43199 + (3 X Analog Devices SSM6322)
---

3) Lenovo Vibe X3

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)
---

4) Vivo X5Max

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9018K2M SABRE (DAC) + ESS SABRE9601K (I/V converter) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier)
---

HiFi Mode: AKM AK4376
---

(A better implementation than AKM AK4376, as implemented in high performance mode in 16th)
---

I am a music lover. My job requires lot of travelling so I pick smartphones with good music playback capabilities & great audio quality over 3.5 mm audio jack.

It all started in 2014, when I first bought the Vivo X5Max. Stellar audio quality courtesy the holy trinity of ES9018K2M, SABRE9601K and OPA1612 combination in a phone. Audio was heaven on earth back then on this phone. Still is. I listen to this phone even today, it has the level of resolution & detail which was unheard back then and still is. Very accurate and natural sounding and sometimes may sound downright clinical. However it has the level of audio resolution which is very hard to come by in smartphones. To my eyes a collectors item. However it lacked the juice to power proper sized cans, hence best options were to stick to good in-ear earphones and maybe some very efficient headphones. And may I add X5Max holds the record of the thinnest smartphone in the world at just 5.1 mm and still Vivo was able to add a headphone jack with excellent audio quality. I just laugh when jerks speaks that removal of audio jacks was necessary to slim down the phone.

My next phone was the Lenovo Vibe X3. This phone was selling like hot cakes in our country back in 2016. A proper flagship of a phone with great audio capabilities. The Vibe X3 simply put in my eyes the best phone Lenovo (aka Motorola) ever created in its respective time-frame. Using even more advanced ESS dac plus two dedicated OPA1612 headphone amplifiers, one per channel it provided what X5Max desperately lacked, the ability to drive big over-the-ear headphones. From headphone drive perspective this was definitely a huge jump for a smartphone back in 2016. X3 had two dedicated audio paths. The "Turbo Hi-Fi" is for purists using ES9018C2M and triple OPA1612 configuration. The sound quality was sublime, more melodious and slightly mellower sounding than X5Max but this time with good amount of drive capability. You can properly drive Sennheiser HD598 with Vibe X3. The "Standard Hi-Fi" on the other hand used Wolfson WM8281 audio codec, which was leagues ahead of then Qualcomm audio solutions back then. Vibe X3 was also the overall better device of the two. And X3 also had the best stereo front firing speaker I have ever heard on any phone. Period. I am a keeper so I still own my Vibe X3.

A year later Vivo introduced the Xplay 6, with slightly upgraded but near identical audio hardware setup to Lenovo Vibe X3 as below:

Lenovo Vibe X3: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)
Vivo Xplay 6: ESS ES9038Q2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1622 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1622 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)

I was very keen on this device as it was Vivo's first phone with native DSD palyback capability with hardware decoding support inside the DAC. This produces the best audio quality I can think off. This was the first opportunity for me to load all the precious DSD collection as DSF & DFF files in a smartphone. Sadly Vivo India never launched this phone here. A close friend of mine, an audio buff to the core once traveled to China due to business reasons and had the opportunity to test the Xplay 6. He listened to same songs on Xplay 6 and Lenovo Vibe X3 side-by-side and came to the following conclusion: both phones sounds near identical with any type of PCM audio files and HiFi mode enabled, having same audio sound signature. But with native DSD playback enabled Xplay 6 goes to another realm and is a step above the Vibe X3. Only DSD64 is available for native playback, and on this mode it can slay many expensive portable players. I trust him and I regret not having one till today.

Next LG V30+ grabbed my attention. I always knew V series was great for audio so had a V30+ for last two years. I am so impressed with this phone I recently bought another one for my wife. I got the new one three month back for a bargain price of $150 brand new. Simply put the ESS ES9218P SABRE (Quad DAC) is one of the best audio implementations I have ever heard on a smartphone. B&O tuned V30+ have the attack of X5Max, actually it is the big brother of X5Max in maintaining the same sound signature. Natural sounding, crystal clear, ultra revealing are some words that come to my mind while thinking of V30+. But the biggest advantage of ES9218P SABRE is headphone drive capability, with 2 Vrms in disposal. I am able to drive almost all of my over the ear headphones with ease. The second biggest advantage of V30+ is native DSD playback with support for both DSD64 & DSD128. Having 128GB internal memory + 256 GB memory card, it has all the space required for my entire DSD collection in the phone.

The last phone I want to talk about is my Vivo NEX (NEX S in China). Very few people know about this phone. I own one as it is readily available in India with full Google certification in place. Not only is it a high end flagship device with SD845 & 8 gigs of ram but as you have guessed very good headphone audio quality with 130 dB SNR & -115 dB (THD+N). The NEX is the only other phone that can truly rival the LG's Quad DAC while having a sound signature that is drastically different compared to LGs. This makes NEX so special to me. Every DAC manufacturer have its own sound signature, hence playing back the same song on LG V30+ & Vivo NEX provides very different experiences with same headphones. Where as with V30+ the sound signature is detailed with incredible instrument separation and a vertically narrow sound-stage, the NEX with Cirrus Logic DACs produces warm, textured sound with awesome vocals and super wide sound-stage in the horizontal plain. Vocals just shine on NEX and this phone have the ability to create a big sound stage. If you hear Norah Jones on NEX, it feels like you are in her live concert, but if you hear the same song on V30+ and it will pick every nuances of her breath while she is singing the song and reveal every micro-detail of the song. NEX also have a lot of headphone driving power just like the V30+, and with cans over 50 ohms NEX starts to flex its muscles. Micro details now gets even more prominent on NEX.

Lastly, NEX has perhaps the best native DSD playback in a phone. It is only the second phone from Vivo's stable after Xplay 6 to support native DSD playback. It supports only DSD64, but the level is much higher than DSD128 on my LG V30+. I am talking on a subjective level. In NEX there is a dedicated professional DSD mode switch in sound settings. If that switch is disabled and I play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 files, all files will be software decoded from DSD to PCM by the default music player and get played. But if I enable the DSD switch, its like Pure Direct mode gets enabled, and all other types of notification sounds gets immediately disabled. In this mode raw DSD gets fed to the DAC for hardware decoding inside the DAC. I can now play DSD64 using default music player while NEX produces the best DSD listening experience to my ears on a smartphone. Others may vary.

So yeah.. it all boils down to two phones for me, LG V30+ and Vivo NEX S. I cannot choose one, I need both for providing two distinctly different flavors of the same song in my ears. Now the choice is yours.

The vivo nex would be an option, but it isnt easy to find at all. and if something brakes with it, it will prob be a issue for me living in Norway.

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9218P SABRE (LG's QuadDAC)
---

HiFi Mode: Cirrus Logic CS43199 + (3 X Analog Devices SSM6322)
---

3) Lenovo Vibe X3

HiFi Mode: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)
---

4) Vivo X5Max

---

HiFi Mode: AKM AK4376
---

---

It all started in 2014, when I first bought the Vivo X5Max. Stellar audio quality courtesy the holy trinity of ES9018K2M, SABRE9601K and OPA1612 combination in a phone. Audio was heaven on earth back then on this phone. Still is. I listen to this phone even today, it has the level of resolution & detail which was unheard back then and still is. Very accurate and natural sounding and sometimes may sound downright clinical. However it has the level of audio resolution which is very hard to come by in smartphones. To my eyes a collectors item. However it lacked the juice to power proper sized cans, hence best options were to stick to good in-ear earphones and maybe some very efficient headphones. And may I add X5Max holds the record of the thinnest smartphone in the world at just 5.1 mm and still Vivo was able to add a headphone jack with excellent audio quality. I just laugh when jerks speaks that removal of audio jacks was necessary to slim down the phone.

My next phone was the Lenovo Vibe X3. This phone was selling like hot cakes in our country back in 2016. A proper flagship of a phone with great audio capabilities. The Vibe X3 simply put in my eyes the best phone Lenovo (aka Motorola) ever created in its respective time-frame. Using even more advanced ESS dac plus two dedicated OPA1612 headphone amplifiers, one per channel it provided what X5Max desperately lacked, the ability to drive big over-the-ear headphones. From headphone drive perspective this was definitely a huge jump for a smartphone back in 2016. X3 had two dedicated audio paths. The "Turbo Hi-Fi" is for purists using ES9018C2M and triple OPA1612 configuration. The sound quality was sublime, more melodious and slightly mellower sounding than X5Max but this time with good amount of drive capability. You can properly drive Sennheiser HD598 with Vibe X3. The "Standard Hi-Fi" on the other hand used Wolfson WM8281 audio codec, which was leagues ahead of then Qualcomm audio solutions back then. Vibe X3 was also the overall better device of the two. And X3 also had the best stereo front firing speaker I have ever heard on any phone. Period. I am a keeper so I still own my Vibe X3.

A year later Vivo introduced the Xplay 6, with slightly upgraded but near identical audio hardware setup to Lenovo Vibe X3 as below:

Lenovo Vibe X3: ESS ES9018C2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)
Vivo Xplay 6: ESS ES9038Q2M SABRE (DAC) + Texas Instruments OPA1622 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1622 (Headphone Amplifier, one per channel)

I was very keen on this device as it was Vivo's first phone with native DSD palyback capability with hardware decoding support inside the DAC. This produces the best audio quality I can think off. This was the first opportunity for me to load all the precious DSD collection as DSF & DFF files in a smartphone. Sadly Vivo India never launched this phone here. A close friend of mine, an audio buff to the core once traveled to China due to business reasons and had the opportunity to test the Xplay 6. He listened to same songs on Xplay 6 and Lenovo Vibe X3 side-by-side and came to the following conclusion: both phones sounds near identical with any type of PCM audio files and HiFi mode enabled, having same audio sound signature. But with native DSD playback enabled Xplay 6 goes to another realm and is a step above the Vibe X3. Only DSD64 is available for native playback, and on this mode it can slay many expensive portable players. I trust him and I regret not having one till today.

The last phone I want to talk about is my Vivo NEX (NEX S in China). Very few people know about this phone. I own one as it is readily available in India with full Google certification in place. Not only is it a high end flagship device with SD845 & 8 gigs of ram but as you have guessed very good headphone audio quality with 130 dB SNR & -115 dB (THD+N). The NEX is the only other phone that can truly rival the LG's Quad DAC while having a sound signature that is drastically different compared to LGs. This makes NEX so special to me. Every DAC manufacturer have its own sound signature, hence playing back the same song on LG V30+ & Vivo NEX provides very different experiences with same headphones. Where as with V30+ the sound signature is detailed with incredible instrument separation and a vertically narrow sound-stage, the NEX with Cirrus Logic DACs produces warm, textured sound with awesome vocals and super wide sound-stage in the horizontal plain. Vocals just shine on NEX and this phone have the ability to create a big sound stage. If you hear Norah Jones on NEX, it feels like you are in her live concert, but if you hear the same song on V30+ and it will pick every nuances of her breath while she is singing the song and reveal every micro-detail of the song. NEX also have a lot of headphone driving power just like the V30+, and with cans over 50 ohms NEX starts to flex its muscles. Micro details now gets even more prominent on NEX.

Lastly, NEX has perhaps the best native DSD playback in a phone. It is only the second phone from Vivo's stable after Xplay 6 to support native DSD playback. It supports only DSD64, but the level is much higher than DSD128 on my LG V30+. I am talking on a subjective level. In NEX there is a dedicated professional DSD mode switch in sound settings. If that switch is disabled and I play DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 files, all files will be software decoded from DSD to PCM by the default music player and get played. But if I enable the DSD switch, its like Pure Direct mode gets enabled, and all other types of notification sounds gets immediately disabled. In this mode raw DSD gets fed to the DAC for hardware decoding inside the DAC. I can now play DSD64 using default music player while NEX produces the best DSD listening experience to my ears on a smartphone. Others may vary.

Thanks for your insight! The Vivo Nex would be ver good since it have larger battery, but its very hard to find that phone! i can only find it on Aliexpress. But what happens if something is gonna brake with the phone? i imagine its not easy to send it back?

Here in Norway i can either buy V40 or G8X. I am very keen on V40 but the small battery is worrying me abit(3300mah). G8x has 4000mah, but its more expensive here!

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #3,479 of 5,168
Oppo Pm-3 is the one i have now. Looking to buy some other easy to drive open planars and some chi fi iem`s and see how they fit me Music? I listen to everything except rap, hardstyle, trance and country!

I think im gonna go for Lgv40 or G8X. i can see that i can buy a bigger battery pack for v40. hmmm. this wasnt easy

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,480 of 5,168
Then get V40. Because other model after V40 including G8X doesnt support DSD (DoP). V40 is the last model to support DSD (DoP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back