Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 6, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #3,436 of 5,166
I just purchased an LG V60 from Verizon and restarted my Tidal HIFI membership to listen to their offerings minus the MQA (which I am starting to believe is a bit of hype that has little to do with technical sound quality and more to do with the authenticity of being transfers from original masters). The sound is very profound. I'm coming from a recently died HTC 10, which also had great audio, but I must note that the improvement in the LG V60 is very noticeable. The separation and stereo placement is very precise, the bass is full and defined, and it is driving my Shure SE846 IEM's very cleanly. The concentration on crosstalk elimination by ESS paid off, I think. Here again is the article where ESS talks about their accomplishment (and confirms its inclusion in the V60, about which there was some controversy). http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=474

DSD not being important to me at all, and MQA being fine coming from my desktop at home, I do think the LG V60 qualifies as a top contender (once again) in the mobile-phone audiophile market.

Terry

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #3,437 of 5,166
Thanks for first impression!

May 11, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #3,438 of 5,166
I just purchased an LG V60 from Verizon and restarted my Tidal HIFI membership to listen to their offerings minus the MQA (which I am starting to believe is a bit of hype that has little to do with technical sound quality and more to do with the authenticity of being transfers from original masters). The sound is very profound. I'm coming from a recently died HTC 10, which also had great audio, but I must note that the improvement in the LG V60 is very noticeable. The separation and stereo placement is very precise, the bass is full and defined, and it is driving my Shure SE846 IEM's very cleanly. The concentration on crosstalk elimination by ESS paid off, I think. Here again is the article where ESS talks about their accomplishment (and confirms its inclusion in the V60, about which there was some controversy). http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=474

DSD not being important to me at all, and MQA being fine coming from my desktop at home, I do think the LG V60 qualifies as a top contender (once again) in the mobile-phone audiophile market.

Terry
Shame that LG didn't include MQA ON LG V60

May 11, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #3,441 of 5,166
I have not been keeping up with the newest/latest/best cell phones vs "good for the money", and I am due for a new phone, and I am not looking for the former.

I always thought my next phone should be a LG V 30, 40, 50, etc, or whatever, for better sound quality.

However, I now have a AQ DF Cobalt that seems ok to me for sound quality to TOTL IEM's, and maybe the LG would be overkill, especially if I am using a USB to headphone device like the AQ DF bypassing the internal amp/dac.

Which LG is "good for the money" WITHOUT paying big bucks for the newest TOTL version?

Would the older Samsung Galaxy S9 or S10 be good enough for mobile "on the run" while using the AQ DF Cobalt instead of their built in DAC/AMP?

I'm sure there are a Gazillion opinions on this but I'm just looking for a decent, (not TOTL), kinda budget phone. I don't think I am really too fussy about the source when on the go.

PS: I have never been one to go for the newest and latest, only the true and tried. I currently have the GS 7 edge, and my wife has my old GS 3! LOL

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #3,442 of 5,166
I have not been keeping up with the newest/latest/best cell phones vs "good for the money", and I am due for a new phone, and I am not looking for the former.

I always thought my next phone should be a LG V 30, 40, 50, etc, or whatever, for better sound quality.

However, I now have a AQ DF Cobalt that seems ok to me for sound quality to TOTL IEM's, and maybe the LG would be overkill, especially if I am using a USB to headphone device like the AQ DF bypassing the internal amp/dac.

Which LG is "good for the money" WITHOUT paying big bucks for the newest TOTL version?

Would the older Samsung Galaxy S9 or S10 be good enough for mobile "on the run" while using the AQ DF Cobalt instead of their built in DAC/AMP?

I'm sure there are a Gazillion opinions on this but I'm just looking for a decent, (not TOTL), kinda budget phone. I don't think I am really too fussy about the source when on the go.

PS: I have never been one to go for the newest and latest, only the true and tried. I currently have the GS 7 edge, and my wife has my old GS 3! LOL

If LG, it would be G7 or V40. In case you want to enjoy its 3.5mm directly sometimes.

If not, I think samsung s10 is good as a sole source.

May 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,443 of 5,166
If LG, it would be G7 or V40. In case you want to enjoy its 3.5mm directly sometimes.

If not, I think samsung s10 is good as a sole source.

Thanks for that.
All I've ever had has been Samsung ever since I switched from the Blackberry "Curve" many years ago.
So as I said I don't change things often, and if I go for LG I hope it wouldn't disappoint compared to Samsung...

May 12, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,444 of 5,166
Thanks for that.
All I've ever had has been Samsung ever since I switched from the Blackberry "Curve" many years ago.
So as I said I don't change things often, and if I go for LG I hope it wouldn't disappoint compared to Samsung...
I have Samsung and LG and for Sure sound wise LG is way better

May 12, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,446 of 5,166
Thanks for that.

The only thing I feel disappointed for LG is its camera compared to samsung. Others spec are comparably same to me.

May 13, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,447 of 5,166
I’m working from home, so I’ve gotten back into the headphones arena. Using my Fidelio X2HR and DT770 Pro 80 with my IPhone 11 Pro through the lightning dongle and using Tidal.

While my phone was charging I decided to try my old Note 8 directly through the headphone jack. Continued listening to the same album through Tidal and it sounds so much better through my Samsung. I am listening to film scores and hearing things I didn’t hear with the iPhone.

I’ve read that iPhone have good audio output and the lightning dongle has a simple, yet effective DAC. Why does it sound so much worse than my 2+ year old Note 8?

I only use streaming devices, but I’m thinking of using my Note from now on or getting another portable player than works with Tidal.

May 13, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #3,448 of 5,166
I’m working from home, so I’ve gotten back into the headphones arena. Using my Fidelio X2HR and DT770 Pro 80 with my IPhone 11 Pro through the lightning dongle and using Tidal.

While my phone was charging I decided to try my old Note 8 directly through the headphone jack. Continued listening to the same album through Tidal and it sounds so much better through my Samsung. I am listening to film scores and hearing things I didn’t hear with the iPhone.

I’ve read that iPhone have good audio output and the lightning dongle has a simple, yet effective DAC. Why does it sound so much worse than my 2+ year old Note 8?

I only use streaming devices, but I’m thinking of using my Note from now on or getting another portable player than works with Tidal.

Getting a good dac amp since you work from home. Better for Full size user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back