LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
May 6, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 486
The DSD issue is Android 10 and has nothing to do with the LG V60 itself.

The V60 sounds very nice, and ESS worked hard on this latest iteration of the ESS Quad DAC to eliminate crosstalk, which is apparent in the separation and stereo placement on my Shure SE846 IEMs. See the announcement by ESS about its inclusion in the V60 where they talk about that accomplishment here: http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=474

This is a very noticeable step up for me coming from a recently deceased HTC 10, which itself had great audio for its time. Tidal on this phone sounds great even sans MQA.

Terry

May 9, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 486
Guess I should have done my research a bit first before upgrading. I don't really care about DSD or MQA, but I have felt that the V60 DAC is tuned differently (previously I owned the LG G7 and LG G8). I have not found it as enjoyable as my G8....thought I was just experiencing audiophile nervosa, now wondering if that is not the case. Would love for someone more technically proficient and knowledgeable to do a deep dive on how V60 DAC compares to previous offerings. Sounds like features have been removed which is concerning to say the least.

I have the G8. I love the sound. The only gripe is that I have to use UAPP to bypass Android resampling. I prefer to listen to my Tidal offline music without need to stream. It's a minor issue. I was going to upgrade to the V60 next, but this report is concerning. Are you playing from UAPP or from other apps directly?

The DSD issue is Android 10 and has nothing to do with the LG V60 itself.

The V60 sounds very nice, and ESS worked hard on this latest iteration of the ESS Quad DAC to eliminate crosstalk, which is apparent in the separation and stereo placement on my Shure SE846 IEMs. See the announcement by ESS about its inclusion in the V60 where they talk about that accomplishment here: http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=474

This is a very noticeable step up for me coming from a recently deceased HTC 10, which itself had great audio for its time. Tidal on this phone sounds great even sans MQA.

Terry

So you are playing from Tidal directly? Can you tell if the Android resampling has been bypassed? On the G8, straight out of Tidal is clearly worse than UAPP.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 486
for US T-mobile customers, the v60 just dropped another $100.

May 11, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 486
I have the G8. I love the sound. The only gripe is that I have to use UAPP to bypass Android resampling. I prefer to listen to my Tidal offline music without need to stream. It's a minor issue. I was going to upgrade to the V60 next, but this report is concerning. Are you playing from UAPP or from other apps directly?

So you are playing from Tidal directly? Can you tell if the Android resampling has been bypassed? On the G8, straight out of Tidal is clearly worse than UAPP.

I am using UAPP exclusively when listening to music from my V60. If there is a difference between the G8 and V60, I am thinking it is actually pretty minor, I feel like I am getting more of the sound I am acustomed to these days when hooking up my headphones to the V60. I just was worried hearing that the DAC tuning might be a bit different.

All that being said, you said you are using Tidal. Sounds like they removed MQA encoding on the V60 DAC, so you may want to hold off if that is important to you.

May 13, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 486
i usually only plug my Oppo PM3 and Sennheiser 630 VB into my V40, but strictly from an audio viewpoint, has anyone owned both the V40 and V60, and is there a case for upgrading from the V40 to the V60?
i'm not in a huge hurry to get the V60 right now, but when there are promotions on it, i'd like to have gotten a comparison between the 2.
I haven't found any up to this point.

May 13, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 486
Just got the v60 in last night. One thing I noticed is that the quad dac effects don't work with the Amazon Music app? (including the eq)

Everything works well with Spotify though.

May 13, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 486
I just wonder if LG did something to bypass Android system resampling in the V60. Probably not. You have to compare UAPP and the native app like Tidal.

May 22, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 486
Anyone know if the aux trick will works with v60?

May 29, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 486
I just recieved an update of uapp enabling Hi-Res for v60, and saying it does not decode mqa and dsd anymore. Seems It has the quad dac, but it's not tuned by Meridian and it does not handle mqa.

That's exactly right. To get to the necessary price-point, LG removed some key audio functions by not renewing the licensing. There is no longer DSD playback. MQA encoding, or true DTS sound on the V60. It's also too damn big and over 40g heavier than my V40 (without second screen!).

Also, there is some wonder about whether Meridian even tuned this phone (the major difference between the V30 line). It's not listed under GSM Arena unlike all the V or G models since the V40, so it's likely the penny-pinching LG didn't pay them either!

The lack of DSD definitely has nothing to do with the V60...it's that f-ing joke of an OS called Android 10. That will be the case from the V50 on. Sadly, my V40 was just forced to upgrade and i lost DSD too. I'm beyond pissed off considering my entire collection is meticulously compiled DSD tracks i don't want converted to PCM!. Android 10 in general is a bloated, ugly mess on the LG phones.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 486
Upgraded from V40 to 60 T-Mobile @ release . Sounds still great with outstanding battery life (5000mah) and dual screen.

Can you compare how native Tidal sounds compared to streaming Tidal through UAPP? I figure LG hasn't found a way to bypass Android resampling.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 486
I just recieved an update of uapp enabling Hi-Res for v60, and saying it does not decode mqa and dsd anymore. Seems It has the quad dac, but it's not tuned by Meridian and it does not handle mqa.

That's exactly right. To get to the necessary price-point, LG removed some key audio functions by not renewing the licensing. There is no longer DSD playback. MQA encoding, or true DTS sound on the V60. It's also too damn big and over 40g heavier than my V40 (without second screen!).

Also, there is some wonder about whether Meridian even tuned this phone (the major difference between the V30 line). It's not listed under GSM Arena unlike all the V or G models since the V40, so it's likely the penny-pinching LG didn't pay them either!

The lack of DSD definitely has nothing to do with the V60...it's that f-ing joke of an OS called Android 10. That will be the case from the V50 on. Sadly, my V40 was just forced to upgrade and i lost DSD too. I'm beyond pissed off considering my entire collection is meticulously compiled DSD tracks i don't want converted to PCM!. Android 10 in general is a bloated, ugly mess on the LG phones.

Yeah, and Google also pushed spyware into OS core aka 'Covid-19 bluetooth tracking' under Settings > Google, go and check, like it would most important thing we need. I suggest you reset your phone and switch off updates forever or maybe just get non Android DAP. My Samsung got from very vast to slow as hell thanks to 'updates'. Same story with Windows 10, all the updates just break things and add more spyware. The force it all down our throat for 'common good' fo course.

Jun 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 486

That sucks bud. I'm hanging onto my 40 as long as possible. Still have the 30 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back