Best Rock Headphones - $350.00 or below
Feb 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

oldsoulrevival

New Head-Fier
So, I need to buy some headphones, and I have heard people say that the Grado Sr225i is the best rock headphone for the money, but is there anything else you would recommend up to the 300-350 price range over the Grados?

Is there anything in that price range that handles rock as well, but also handles acoustic/jazz/classical better?

Personally, I want a clear and powerful bass (nothing that completely overwhelms the mids and highs though), strong mids (so sick of headphones with tons of bass or treble and no mids), and clear, crisp highs (however, I do NOT want harsh highs whatsoever. My ears are really sensitive to the piercingly harsh and crisp highs that some headphones have)

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 47
Some more suggestions for ya:

AKG K240, K601, K702

Beyerdynamic DT 770, DT 990

Denon AH-D2000

Sennheiser HD25-1

Shure SRH 440

Ultrasone HFi 580, HFi 780

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 47
It seems that the Grado's are the ones you want, unless you need closed. The Beyer DT990 may also be a good choice for you.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 47

Quote:
So, I need to buy some headphones, and I have heard people say that the Grado Sr225i is the best rock headphone for the money, but is there anything else you would recommend up to the 300-350 price range over the Grados?

Is there anything in that price range that handles rock as well, but also handles acoustic/jazz/classical better?

Personally, I want a clear and powerful bass (nothing that completely overwhelms the mids and highs though), strong mids (so sick of headphones with tons of bass or treble and no mids), and clear, crisp highs (however, I do NOT want harsh highs whatsoever. My ears are really sensitive to the piercingly harsh and crisp highs that some headphones have)

Thanks.

You just described the Sennheiser HD 600 to the "T".

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 47
I may be off base here, but I believe the best "rock headphone" is also the best headphone, and at your price, I think it's clearly the Sennheiser HD650. As long as your music is recorded well, they provide a fairly great soundstage, excellent instrument separation, and fill out the low end nicely. One thing I've noticed about them (I recently got them) is that they make drumming sound amazing. You can very clearly and distinctly hear everything the drummer in a rock band does. Again, it really depends on what you're listening to, but well-recorded bands like the Live Phish releases and, like, The Walkmen and Talking Heads sound amazing through the HD650s.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 47

Quote:
Are the Beyerdynamic DT 770/990s at all like the 880s? I bought the 880s a while back but they did not have a strong enough low end.

The DT 770/990 have a stronger low end than the DT 880 along with a more aggressive overall sound signature.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 47
I can't recommend the 225i more. They are an absolutely amazing set of cans. Also, if you are looking for mids then you can't go wrong with Grados.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 47
     Quote:

Thanks.

I've not heard the Grado SR225i, but the Sennheiser HD 25-1 is great for rock music. It has impactful bass and a clear presentation and is easy to listen to.
The Sennheiser HD 600 is more neutral sounding and plays most musical styles well. Both of the Sennheisers are pleasant to listen to music with.

Between the two Sennheiser models I listed, if you want a great rounder go for the HD 600; if you want a good all-rounder that is PRaTicularly great for rock, go for the HD 25. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 47
Since you're looking for bigger bass, I'm going to recommend the HFI-580. Incredibly impactful bass without infringing on the mids. In comparison, the DT 770 feel like they have very washed out mids.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 47
I may be off base here, but I believe the best "rock headphone" is also the best headphone, and at your price, I think it's clearly the Sennheiser HD650. As long as your music is recorded well, they provide a fairly great soundstage, excellent instrument separation, and fill out the low end nicely. One thing I've noticed about them (I recently got them) is that they make drumming sound amazing. You can very clearly and distinctly hear everything the drummer in a rock band does. Again, it really depends on what you're listening to, but well-recorded bands like the Live Phish releases and, like, The Walkmen and Talking Heads sound amazing through the HD650s.

I second this. If you have warm resolving components in your chain the HD650 is a great rocking can with energy and deep bass. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't heard them properly. Distorted guitars on this headphone sizzles, with amazing textures. It sounds like the MS-1i on steroids on my setup. :eek:

Cue the "veil" brigade.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 47
I quite like the Grado HF-1 for rock.  It has noticeably more bass than SR225 and tamer highs.  The poor man's RS-1.  I do agree with BlackbeardBen and think that your description headphones with rich bass, soft treble and great non-rock abilities describes the HD600 pretty well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back