Best replacement for Klipsch Custom3
Mar 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tompim

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I own Klipsch Custom3 earphones, and I really love their sound.
Problem is, the cord is crap and even after getting new ones, the cord started to wear in less than 3 months of occasional use.

What I liked in the Custom3 sound is that it was a very dynamic sound (contrary to a "neutral" one).
I mostly listen to rock music, the bass were very sharp but not too present. I also listen to jazz and the brass where very well reproduced by the Klipsch IEMs.

So I would like to know what earphone you advise to replace the Klipsch. I'd prefer a braided cable if possible.

Thank you
regular_smile%20.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 19
In the same boat as you are right now.

The cord on me KC3 is still in good condition, but the internals are getting damaged close to the earphone jack area, cutting the left driver out from time to time.

Have you considered sending the earphones to either Fisher Hearing or unique Melody for reshelling and recabling?

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. The recabling is a good idea. The problem is I live in France so it is complicated to send my IEM.
But if I send them for recabling, I will also reshell them to a custom fit if possible.
Do you know if Unique Melody make custom molds to Custom3 ?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, they do apparently.

I think a member or two here may have gotten their Custom 3s reshelled into custom shells by both companies each.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 19
My Custom 3 IEMs were reshelled by Fisher Hearing. Unfortunately the're still on the UPS truck. I should receive them on Monday.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 19
Thank you for your feedbacks !
@BRCMRGN :  please keep me updated when you receive them, and it would be nice if you post photos.
BTW, if I may ask, how much did you pay for the whole thing (mold + cable + shipping) ?

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Clear shell with colored tips and clear cable came to $110.50.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Many members have reshelled their Custom 3s into custom molds. I'm not sure if this changes the sound signature, though. I have a set of Custom 3s in the mail somewhere (although I haven't heard from my seller in a while) but I'd be interested in getting these custom'd up. Can anyone comment on how they sound?

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 19
My reshelled Custom 3s arrived yesterday from Fisher and I'm listening to them right now. The sound signature has changed a little - there is more bass now. My fit problems with the Custom 3 kept me from hearing how good the bass was. The midrange is still thick and natural sounding and the treble is still slightly recessed. Overall, a very enjoyable sound, a lot like the Sennheise IE7. The Fisher clear cable is a HUGE improvement over the original Klipsch cable. I'll try to get a few decent pictures over the next day or so.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
My reshelled Custom 3s arrived yesterday from Fisher and I'm listening to them right now. The sound signature has changed a little - there is more bass now. My fit problems with the Custom 3 kept me from hearing how good the bass was. The midrange is still thick and natural sounding and the treble is still slightly recessed. Overall, a very enjoyable sound, a lot like the Sennheise IE7. The Fisher clear cable is a HUGE improvement over the original Klipsch cable. I'll try to get a few decent pictures over the next day or so.

I think you're the third person I've read that is happy with the job Fisher did in reshelling the Custom 3. I think I'm going that route. Do you mine inboxing me and giving me a total cost for your reshelling (sans the impressions)? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

EricP

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I think you're the third person I've read that is happy with the job Fisher did in reshelling the Custom 3. I think I'm going that route. Do you mine inboxing me and giving me a total cost for your reshelling (sans the impressions)? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

EricP

Nevermind, I didn't read up. I just read the bottom. You answered my question already I see. My apologies. lol.
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Can someone please email me the contact information to Fisher so that I can start the process of having my Custom 3 reshelled? Thank you for your assistance in advance!

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:

Thank you for your feedback.
I am tempted to send them my earphones. The only problem is that the shipping costs 65$ (to France) and that I may pay taxes...

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 19
I see has raised their reshelling prices from $80 to $90 + $30 for the cable and extra for a tint. So are fisher no longer the cheapest in the reshelling game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back