"Best" Piano/Classical full-sized headphones for 350$ or less?
Aug 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #61 of 71
As with the Ultrasones, the Denon 2000's are just too bass heavy (and treble emphasized) to accurately reproduce piano music. I would focus on the 600/650's. The 600's were designed for classical producers in mind. Though, If you prefer a little more warmth and musicality then go the extra mile for the 650's. I've used them for classical music now for 6 years with numerous purchases in between (including the Denon's) nothing comes close in the same price bracket. They do need a powerful (not necessarily expensive) amp to sound there best though. 

D2000 and D5000 are pretty horrible for classical. and it has to do with the relatively very prominent bass :) and as you said relatively recessed mids

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #63 of 71
I had markl mod my D5000's, which did help reign in the bass and bring the mids more to the fore, but they still sounded off for classical music.  The higher strings all sounded gratingly harsh with sibilance to my ears.  

my pair was 1/2 markl modded (one of the rings was skipped)...

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #64 of 71
Thanks a *lot* for all the info, guys!

Sure seems like the AKG K701 could be at the head of the pack for my budget.

Having said that, any reason why I shouldn't consider the K702? From what I read, it's the exact same HP except for the detachable cord.

Are cord upgrades realistic for a HP of this price and how big of a difference could I expect, if I have a good DAC/amp to put them through?

Thanks again, guys! *Really* appreciate it. :)

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #65 of 71
Thanks a *lot* for all the info, guys!

Sure seems like the AKG K701 could be at the head of the pack for my budget.

Having said that, any reason why I shouldn't consider the K702? From what I read, it's the exact same HP except for the detachable cord.

Are cord upgrades realistic for a HP of this price and how big of a difference could I expect, if I have a good DAC/amp to put them through?

Thanks again, guys! *Really* appreciate it. :)

a) ugh.
b) headband is different
c) yes you can buy an aftermarket cord off ebay for about $30 (AMR drumsticks sell them, mogami cable, neutrik plug ,etc ). No idea if it makes a difference or if it's pure placebo though.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #66 of 71
Between the 701 and 702 I would go with the cheaper.  I think the 701 is about $50 less expensive.  If you are rough on cables then by all means go with the 702, but sonically you cannot tell the difference.  I personally like the 701's sound.  I really like the fit too.

Here are the frequency response graphs for both:

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #68 of 71
Maybe a stupid question, but any differences in comfort between the 2?

that really depends whether your head prefers the single bump (one of them has 3 large ones) or multiple smaller bumps ... If I remember correctly.
K702 was very uncomfortable for me because the single bump dug into my skull :D

Also, the chart amply illustrates the bass roll-off... (-7.5db @ 20hz compared to 100hz). bleh.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #69 of 71
vote for HD598~!

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #70 of 71

Quote:
my hd25 chewed quite a few tissue boxes when I thought I could loosen its jaws of death
biggrin.gif

For open HP, I liked Beyer T1 (although i still had some comfort issues with it), didn't like HD800 (too harsh, probably depends on the amp though)or LCD-2 (lows exaggerated, mids relatively recessed)/HE-5LE (eeky build quality, can't remember much else). SR-507 is pretty good though.
Haven't heard much else... Oh um, heard Grado HF-2 - that sounded like someone scratching on the board with chalk, but RS2 or was it RS1 sounded pretty nice.

Switched to electrostatics after my first few bad closed HP...So I somewhat lost interest in open HP.
Pity stax don't make any closed HP aside SR-4070.
Really? LCD-2? the mids on LCD-2 imo just about second to no one. The HD800 believe had some revision work done after #7500 or something like that. 

Unfortunately I can't recommend any moderately expensive open ones, maybe someone else can help
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back