best overall headphones for a ipod touch
Jul 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HUYI

New Head-Fier
i want to buy over the ear headphones because i am fed up of in ear headphones as they get uncomfortable after long use, my max price i can spend is £70 maybe £80 more than that, i want to use the headphones with the ipod touch, the type of music i listen to is drum and bass, r&b hip hop and rap, garage and soul, what headphones would be good for this type of music?

i had a look at the HD solo beats headphones by dr. dre by monster but after hearing that they fall apart after 3 weeks of use i passed on that one, then there was the sennheiser HD555 but i didn't like that fact that the sound comes out when you are listening as i would be using the new headphones in public.

i currently have my eye on the sennheiser HD448's (wich is supposed to be made for ipods) but i read on a post on these forums that you need a amp? what up with that? why can't i listen without one? will the quality of the music be greatly reduced? i currently use the sennheiser CX300, just so you know where i am coming from, anyways advice please!

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 5
if you want well isolating over-ear headphones, then bear in mind that those will likely be closed headphones with pleather or vinyl ear pads.
while they will be somewhat comfortable, your ears will get a bit hot and may even sweat.  particularly in the summer.

with your budget, you can get an audio technica ath-m50, or something similar.

just be aware that the headband will need to be stretched out a bit for more comfort, and that the ol' ears will get a little hot.

also search the forum for denon, ultrasone, shure brands.
they all make something in your budget that is closed and sounds good with your music of preference...

welcome to head-fi.  sorry about your wallet.

beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 5
ouch that technica ath-m50 is a bit too much over budget, looks nice though, i have heard a lot of bad stuff about sure that they are poor quality built so will be staying away from that, reason for the tight budget is i am saving up for a wedding, it's not easy lol

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I have purchased the Sony MDR V6 a few days ago. One reason I bought them is because I read good things about it. The second reason is the (incredibly) low price I got it for on Ebay ($40.50) (they are $70.46 on Amazon.com). I didn't even have to pay for shipping! The downside is that it will take a few weeks to get from Hongkong to Holland. That doesn't worry me at all because I already have a headphone that is expected to perform better (is a lot more expensive) than this Sony one. I just want to try these cans for on the go (train or school library) with my iPod Touch. My current headphone isn't suitable for that (Wireless). I already have pretty good in-ears but sometimes I get fed up with those, the same I have with my current headphones (closed back + summer = sweat on your ears). This seemed like a bargain to try if I feel the same as most people do about these cans (based on reviews). 

There is also a thread on hi-fi about this headphone. You'll be able to find it if you type in Sony MDR V6 at Google and just add '+ head-fi'  and press go (I believe linking is not allowed on this forum).

Good luck on finding decent cans for your liking

Edit: It also might be worth taking a look at (head-fi thread):
Shootout: 44 Portable Headphones Compared - Sony MDR-XB500 & Alessandro MS1 added 07/08

Just copy it and paste it in to google and you'll find it on the first hit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back