Best Open Headphone thats portable??
Jul 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Murcielago64

New Head-Fier
I am upgrading from a ATH-AD700 Audio Technica open air headphone.  I like the sound and the fact that its very open.  I need sound leakage, because I use them at work and need to be aware of what I am monitoring.  The issue I have now is size, as they are too big to take with me.  I would like something with similar sound and leakage but need them to be portable.

I have tried the Sennheiser PX-100.  They definately allow for leakage and are extremely portable.  The sound I didn't think was as clear as the ATs.

I have also tried the Head-Direct RE2s, even though they are EXTREMELY portable, and their sound is somewhat compareable to the ATS, they allow for almost no leakage and are actually somewhat insulating despite being open.

I am seriously considering the Ultrasone HFI-2400, as they are open and foldable.  I expect for them to sound better than the AT's but am open to consider other options if you know of one.

Thanks!!

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

Ultrasone 2900's.

Swivel cups. Makes them portable. Great sound, open sound stage, full rich bass, great high end. The only next step would be a flagship model headphone that costs twice as much.

Note: a good DAC and lossless source audio is necessary to take advantage of a lot of headphone's ability to produce clarity. Poor recordings and a budget/junk DAC will not sound good on high quality headphones, you'll hear the flaws.

Very best,

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the reply!! I have been looking at reviews on the PRO-2900's that you mentioned!

I have seen some reviews that state the Grado's are extremely open, very leaky, exactly what I was looking for.

Since you have both, the Grado's and the Ultrasone's, which would you recommend for the ability to hear outside environment with moderate volume and the foldability of the Grados?  It looks like you can lay them flat to carry?

Also, the reviews I have read state that Grado's are very uncomfortable.  The Audio-Technicas were very comfortable.  How do do the Ultrasone's compare?

Thanks again for you advice!!!

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 13
Oddly enough the Ultrasones for being open leaked less noise than the denon D2000 by side by side comparison. Grados are okay for portable, no one really notices the sound as most endowments are much much louder than the out going noise from the cup's them self's. I would go for the Ultrasones if i Were you, try the HFI-2400*fully open* much cheaper than the Pro-2900 and use the same housing, only thing is the driver is different, and they look super snazzy in a clay brown*looks much better than it sounds*

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the response!!

For leakage, I am most interested in the lack of isolation, really need to hear my surroundings.  Are the open ultrasones as open as the grados? 

The only colors I see on the HFI-2400's are the silver/black

do you mean the 2200's? the have some orange i them, can't find the clay brown... ??

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 13
Koss Portapro's

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 13
Heya,

The Ultrasones are very comfortable, big nice cushion pads and they don't have a death grip on your head. Grados are less comfortable, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. They are just a different style of headphone to wear. Some don't like it, some do. Everyone likes the feel of an Ultrasone or Beyer though, they're just very comfortable. Anyhow, between the two, the Grado will be more mid/high forward and the 2900 will have a lot more bass presence while keeping a strong high. You will hear everything around you regardless of which you choose. My Beyers leak less than my Sennheisers. But yet I hear everything around me about the same.

Very best,

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for the response!!

For leakage, I am most interested in the lack of isolation, really need to hear my surroundings.  Are the open ultrasones as open as the grados? 

The only colors I see on the HFI-2400's are the silver/black

do you mean the 2200's? the have some orange i them, can't find the clay brown... ??

yes, 2200 my mistake, it looks orange in the pictures but it's a brown, looks much better IRL. They are open but they dont let much sound out, does that make sense.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #11 of 13
I understand, leakage and isolation are different.  I want non-isolation but would like it to not have leakage.   I like to hear outside noises but for others not to have to hear what i am listenening too.  I don't think you can get both and just have to live the fact that its open.  Ultrasones check all the boxes!  portable, non isolating and comfortable!!  where is a good place to buy?

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 13
The latest head-fi podcast has an ad for headphones.com special rebate and the have a selection of ultrasone. Alternatively, headphone.com has a good selection of Ultrasone also. Remember that Ultrasone has a very different sound presentation. Release your mind's first impression WTH is this rejection. Allow your perception to adapt and fall in love, all over again, with your music.

smily_headphones1.gif

PS if you have an E7 as you profile pic suggests,it powers the Ultrasone PRO900 to borderline too high levels, IMHO.

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Headphones.com lists the HFI-2400 for $295
Amazon has it for $229 + free shipping

Where can I find out more about this rebate??  Is it instant? or some mail-in-and-wait ??  Will it end up cheaper than Amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back