Best open cans for $225 US
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 27
i vote the akg k7xx for best sound quality at the $200 price point. the massdrop ends in a day.

i think the sennheiser hd598 is a tier below that from my experience. the beyers dt880s are quite nice though. havent seen em at the $220 price point personally tho.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 27
  i vote the akg k7xx for best sound quality at the $200 price point. the massdrop ends in a day.

i think the sennheiser hd598 is a tier below that from my experience. the beyers dt880s are quite nice though. havent seen em at the $220 price point personally tho.

Could you compare the sound of the K7XX and DT 880 Premium for me?

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 27

Could you compare the sound of the K7XX and DT 880 Premium for me?

never did a direct comparison of the two, so can't really say anything that specific. only had a chance to demo the dt880s, but they did sound quite nice. i feel like the k7xx had a tad more bass quantity, but beyond it's hard for me to say.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 27
  never did a direct comparison of the two, so can't really say anything that specific. only had a chance to demo the dt880s, but they did sound quite nice. i feel like the k7xx had a tad more bass quantity, but beyond it's hard for me to say.

That's surprising (and reassuring). How much is "a tad"?
biggrin.gif

I guess since my strategy is to have both high-fidelity and bass-heavy headphones, it doesn't really matter.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 27
That's surprising (and reassuring). How much is "a tad"? :D

I guess since my strategy is to have both high-fidelity and bass-heavy headphones, it doesn't really matter.

hahah the k7xx actually do seem quite close to neutral. just a nice lil bass boost. works very well imo. rly enjoy the sound sig. not as much as a bass boost compared to the he400s or the the m50xs. definitely not as much as the LPS you own.

I am more comfortable describing things ive own for extended periods of time hahah. used a tad bc honestly not rly sure bc never had the chance to side by side compare em w the same source & equipment. =S

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 27
hahah the k7xx actually do seem quite close to neutral. just a nice lil bass boost. works very well imo. rly enjoy the sound sig. not as much as a bass boost compared to the he400s or the the m50xs. definitely not as much as the LPS you own.

I am more comfortable describing things ive own for extended periods of time hahah. used a tad bc honestly not rly sure bc never had the chance to side by side compare em w the same source & equipment. =S

Even for a headphone purposed towards having heavy bass for electronic music, etc., the Crossfade LP has far too much quantity of bass and not nearly enough quality. Ironically, it lacks punch, impact, extension, tonality, and so on. Guess I'd have to get into planar magnetics to have it all in the bass department.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #23 of 27
  Even for a headphone purposed towards having heavy bass for electronic music, etc., the Crossfade LP has far too much quantity of bass and not nearly enough quality. Ironically, it lacks punch, impact, extension, tonality, and so on. Guess I'd have to get into planar magnetics to have it all in the bass department.

The HE-400 is amazing with EDM!!! One of my favorite mid-fi headphones. So sad to sell it. Focus-pads greatly improve the comfort.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #24 of 27
@serman005

I ordered the Focal Spirit Professional instead. It's normally $349, but I got it for $215 (brand new, but without the accessories except the remote cable) from here. Although they are closed-back, they are known to have a more open sound than most closed headphones. Just wanted to give you a heads-up, since I won't be getting the DT 880 Premium after all, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back