Best open back cans for electronic music and others for around £250 mark?
Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Dizzle77

100+ Head-Fier
Right semi-lurker here. In the past I've posted questions when I've needed help/advice and I've found members here to be really helpful. 

I've made the mistake of venturing onto the forum a bit too much over the last few weeks and now I will be paying the price as I have decided I need another pair of headphones 
cool.gif

I listen to a lot of electronic music - mainly drum & bass, some dubstep, electronica and various other types of music like funk, rock, hiphop and random alternative stuff. You can see a cross section of what I listen to on my music blog http://science-of-sound.com   Shameless plug I know, but you get the idea. hehe

I have survived the last year with my Future Atrios IEMs, which are great as they have plenty of bass, but I think the sound is clear too. 

A few weeks ago I also picked up a pair of Audio Technica M50. For the price, I'm really impressed with them, but I want something just a little bit more. 

What I am after is something with bass. Not overly emphasised, just noticeable. After all the reading I've done on this site and for the kind of music I tend to listen to, I would say I would prefer a slightly raised bass and treble frequencies. I don't mind the mids being recessed, but not drowned out by the other frequencies if you know what I mean.

Another thing I am also looking for is a wide soundscape and clear separation of instruments. They also need to be open-back design.

I mainly play music from my MacBook Air, iPhone and Nexus 7. Being impatient I picked up the Fiio E11 with my M50, but I have hardly used it yet. Mainly as I just want to appreciate the sounds for now without it, but also because my IEMs are out of action at the minute, so not used my portable devices as much for music over last few weeks. To be fair they sound fine from my laptop anyway.

So what do you think for around £250?

I have been reading many good things about the Beyer DT990 Premium. Any others I should consider?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 19
Bump :)

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 19
Anyone?

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 19
You could audition these out:

Philips Fidelio X1 (£270 SRP, probably £250 street once they ship this month)
http://www.philips-shop.co.uk/store/catalog/indoor/indoor/-/productdetail/X1_00_GB_SHOPPUB/GB/en/

Impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1-updated-9-27-2012/90#post_8676786
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1-updated-9-27-2012/150#post_8726699

Best of luck with your search. Be sure to audition as many as you can. It's your ears and your taste in sound.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 19
The Sennheiser HD650 is the other one I was considering. The only thing I worry about it comfort. The Beyers have those softer than soft velour pads which sound great. Would it be possible to swap out the Senn to have velour pads?

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks. Those Ultrasone Pro 2500 are a definate contender. Need to do more reading into them.

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere nearby where I can actually test these headphones out. I rely on reading reviews here and across the web. This method hasn't failed me yet. 

Have you used both the Ultra Pro 2500 and Beyer DT990? Which would you say has the bigger soundstage? 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 19
I got Ultrasone HFI- 2400 they're great for Electronic Music and good all-rounder imo. Deep and precise bass , rich details and very immersive soundstage.

I tried pro900 last tuesday and this headphone is more impressive ( never heard deepest AND clearest bass ever ) and keep a very large soundstage despite the fact they're closed cans.  maybe pro2900 ( open brother of pro 900 ) would be considered ? 

Hfi 2400 seems to be good entry point and not too expensive : http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?xsid=90e2ad5afac07aeb769870f9079ac7ad&sw=hfi-2400&x=0&y=0 . You can return cans during 30 days :wink:

I paid this price here in France :wink:

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks Sorrodje. That site looks great :)

Think I'm going to have to buy at least two pairs and see which one I prefer. Definitely one of the Beyer 880 or 990. I've been reading good things about the pro 900, but kind of got my mind set on a pair of open cans. Won't open cans have wider soundstage?

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 19
The Sennheiser HD650 is the other one I was considering. The only thing I worry about it comfort. The Beyers have those softer than soft velour pads which sound great. Would it be possible to swap out the Senn to have velour pads?

The HD650 have soft velour pads, not quite as soft as the Beyer's but very comfy nonetheless. The clamping force on the HD650 is higher, but I find them extremely comfortable. To my ears the Senn's are just more fun to listen to. I had the DT880's for a while and i was using them with some great upstream gear but they just didn't make me smile as much as my other 'phones.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I own both pairs and find the Senns actually more comfortable right out of the box.  I found the Beyers had a bit more clamp initially than the Senns.  To fix that, i just stuffed some books in between my beyers for a day.  

They both have velour pads and and both pads have equal stiffness.  I find the shape of the ear cups is better on the Senns.  Because Senns have more of an oval shape, my ears fit inside them easier.  With the Beyers, I usually have to wiggle them a bit to ensure my ears fit inside.

Once broken-in, these two headphones are almost identical in comfort.  Both are great for long listening sessions, with a slight nod to the Senns for super-long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back