Best Neutral Headphones
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

afuturestrader

New Head-Fier
New to Head-Fi and this will be my first foray into "real" headphones.

What is the best $150 or less headphones with a neutral sound?

I am unclear regarding the advantages/disadvantages to open vs. closed headphones but mine will be used in my large home office, sometimes with my wife in the room - more often not.

Usage - I listen to mostly rock, pop and classical. The headphones will likely also be used to monitor the creation of professional screencasts.

So with that in mind please tell which neutral sounding headphones you would suggest for $150 or less?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi and welcome!

The most neutral ones are usually headphones intended for studio application. Think Sennheiser HD25, you should be able to get one for 150 quids second hand...

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Some people say the Beyerdynamic DT250 (particularly the 250 ohm version) is better than the Shure 840's and is supposed to be the best sounding neutral headphone anywhere near it's price, often compared to the Sennheiser HD600. On sale you can find it for about $170, maybe less.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Some people say the Beyerdynamic DT250 (particularly the 250 ohm version) is better than the Shure 840's and is supposed to be the best sounding neutral headphone anywhere near it's price, often compared to the Sennheiser HD600. On sale you can find it for about $170, maybe less.

+1

my srh840 has a mid-bass hump to my ears. DT250-250 is the most neutral/balanced can in my collection.

Best

James

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

+1

my srh840 has a mid-bass hump to my ears. DT250-250 is the most neutral/balanced can in my collection.

Best

James

This midbass hump can be reduced with carefully positioning on the head,and with some rotation of the oval earpads on a slightly more vertical/forward direction relative to the earcups.At least that's what happens in my case,because I had a similar issue with the lower frequensies and found this to be a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back