Best, most durable closed headphones for any type of sound.
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #16 of 38
Don't care if they are on the ear or over the ears?

Can't *really* wear, lets say big Beyers outside. Around your neck when talking to people, they will choke you :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 38
The headphones you are looking for are the sennheiser hd-25's, I'd also read up on the amperior to see which is better for you. You can throw those things against a wall and they won't break. In fact it is likely that one day you will die, many years will pass, the sun will turn to a red giant and swallow the earth that will by then be scorched whole and all life will cease, the sennheisers will still be rockin.. go buy those.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
The headphones you are looking for are the sennheiser hd-25's, I'd also read up on the amperior to see which is better for you. You can throw those things against a wall and they won't break. In fact it is likely that one day you will die, many years will pass, the sun will turn to a red giant and swallow the earth that will by then be scorched whole and all life will cease, the sennheisers will still be rockin.. go buy those.

I'm curious: when would the Sennheiser HD-25 I II be better than the Sennheiser Amperior? I see people recommending the former over the latter, but isn't the Amperior the more recent, updated model? I know that doesn't always mean that it's better, but I think I read somewhere that they were superior in some ways.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #20 of 38
Can't say, I've only owned the HD-25's and not the amperiors. Can say the HD-25's were supremely durable, isolate exceptionally well, are very lightweight/easy to carry. The other side of their isolation is they can start to become uncomfortable after 2-3 hours due to their clamping force. Their sound is very detailed, nice and tight bass. Their mid-high range can be a bit peaky, they can be sibilant and aren't the best for piano music. They are on ear headphones.

The other set I would consider is a pair of Audio Technica ESW9's. They have a bit warmer sound, not as detailed but smoother overall, though not bloated in anyway, great midrange! They do have wood cups. They are on ear and very comfortable. However their isolation isn't as good as the HD-25, clamping force is much less, but again more comfortable. These are great overall cans. They are durable and will last a long time, however I wouldn't be throwing these against a wall, and generally would be trying to take better care of them because of the wood cups.

edit: I am not sure if the ESW9'a leather is real or fake...

You can easily afford both for $500
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 38
I've just voted in the poll but I feel a bit of a fraud because I've only used two of the headphones listed, the Beyerdynamic DT 770s and the AKG K550s.

I voted for the AKGs because I prefer them personally. In fact I own a pair and they really are lovely headphones :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

-The best, most accurate overall sound for any type of music. I listen to so many different types of music, I don't want to betray any of them. I'd like good detail, I think, if it means hearing every instrument clearly as individuals, instead of as a clumped mess.

With this requirement I think you will be very pleased with the AKG K550 headphones. I have a pair and really the sound reproduction is excellent. You will hear very good detail with the K550s, they are amazingly good in this regard. In addition they are a pleasure to listen to. K550s are also very easily driven, they work very well from the tiny amplifiers built into computers and portable devices.

Isolation is excellent with the K550s. They fulfil all your other requirements very well. Some people have complained about lack of clamp on the head with the K550s, this isn't a problem with me. I think the issue arises with people who have small heads.

I can't comment on the other headphones you mention. I have only used the Beyerdynamic DT 770s and that was some years ago.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 38
esw9...lambskin on the ears...
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 38
AKG K550 are a safe bet for the price. The only thing I don't like is the cover of the pads, it's very bad. Eventually there will be alternate pads for these I'm confident.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:
AKG K550 are a safe bet for the price. The only thing I don't like is the cover of the pads, it's very bad. Eventually there will be alternate pads for these I'm confident.

the pads are good.. leather would be superb :p
would u knoe if the LCD or stax pads or any leather pads would fit the k550 btw?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #27 of 38
I have a pair of JMoney Beyer leather pads and I put them side to side on the K550 pads and they look the same dimension. I need someone to show me how to remove the K550 pads so that I can try the experiment... :p

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 38
i just pull on the edge of the k550pad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back