Best looking tube amp
Feb 15, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,411 of 1,828
  WE212e is "top shelf"...meaning you'd have to put the amp on the TOP SHELF of your rack! 
biggrin.gif

If going down that path I'd look up Nomuro-san as well as he has the most experience.
GR finished our 'experimental' amp. The proto is in Greece for testing but not yet un-boxed. No idea how it works.

The next project may be this Spud - EML call it an OTA (one tube amp) - based on the EML 20B tube with Lundahl iron.
The 20B acts as driver and output tube like my 6CL6 Spud.
This Spud/OTA also uses Lundahl interstage transformers. 

It shouldn't be that pricey because very few parts - if one spares the fancy casework.
EML give away the schematics, but not the tubes or iron....

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML20B.htm

Seems you heard a lot of different glass over the years. Ever get a chance to hear the WE212e inside an amp? And will the studio be turning out another amp for you like the one in Greece? 
popcorn.gif

Nomura-san would have me selling way too many things!
dt880smile.png

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,412 of 1,828

Of late, been intrigued by the WE212e chat in the other thread...

WE212e is "top shelf"...meaning you'd have to put the amp on the TOP SHELF of your rack! 
biggrin.gif

If going down that path I'd look up Nomuro-san as well as he has the most experience.
GR finished our 'experimental' amp. The proto is in Greece for testing but not yet un-boxed. No idea how it works.

The next project may be this Spud - EML call it an OTA (one tube amp) - based on the EML 20B tube with Lundahl iron.
The 20B acts as driver and output tube like my 6CL6 Spud.
This Spud/OTA also uses Lundahl interstage transformers. 

It shouldn't be that pricey because very few parts - if one spares the fancy casework.
EML give away the schematics, but not the tubes or iron....

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML20B.htm

The 20B is a great  idea but if EML goes belly up were do you get replacements ?
Then you have a box with $1500 in Lundahl transformers in it. I guess someone could buy a bunch of spares
at the get go.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,415 of 1,828

Ever get a chance to hear the WE212e inside an amp?

Since this is a picture thread:

Those are KT-88  as driver tubes for an idea of the size of the 212e.
I'd never even heard of the 212e before it was mentioned in the Studio.

And will the studio be turning out another amp for you like the one in Greece? 

Maybe...we thought it was back-burnered but a box showed up for Xmas.
If she passes the stringent Greek test and the spare chassis and iron are still around ...

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,416 of 1,828
  I don't like the asymmetry of the rear supply tube.  Should have one on each side of the transformer and be push pull or perhaps one dedicated for each channel.

this is why the 3rd tube is hidden behind the transfos.... 
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #1,417 of 1,828
Originally Posted by parbaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If she passes the stringent Greek test and the spare chassis and iron are still around ...

I've always seen the BIG WE212 in pix for the Line Magnetic WE212e amp but never the tube by its code. Once the chat around it began recently in our thread, I became really intrigued...STILL AM! 

Yeah, once our brother (rosgr63) puts that amp thru its paces, we'll learn a whole lot more. 
wink_face.gif

Hmmm, I wonder if he's heard this glass. I'm almost certain that if anyone around here has, it could very well be him. I'd like to get some feedback on its sonic rendering.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,418 of 1,828

Originally Posted by parbaked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've always seen the BIG WE212 in pix for the Line Magnetic WE212e amp but never the tube by its code. Once the chat around it began recently in our thread, I became really intrigued...STILL AM! 

Yeah, once our brother (rosgr63) puts that amp thru its paces, we'll learn a whole lot more. 
wink_face.gif

Hmmm, I wonder if he's heard this glass. I'm almost certain that if anyone around here has, it could very well be him. I'd like to get some feedback on its sonic rendering.

The experimental amp is just a small OTL.  I don't think he ever had a amp with a WE212 that would be a speaker amp and he only uses headphones

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,419 of 1,828

The experimental amp is just a small OTL.  I don't think he ever had a amp with a WE212 that would be a speaker amp and he only uses headphones

Will still be interesting to get his views on the experimental. With Spring on the doorstep and Summer closing in fast, I'm considering moving a few pieces out da door to make room for a custom amp from you based on this bad boy (WE212e). I dig the sound of the HE-6 outta speaker amps from the taps! 

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,420 of 1,828

boy, I believe my complete portable tube amp could fit INSIDE one of those BIG WE212 ! 
eek.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #1,423 of 1,828
Then it has to be the WA7: a future design classic!

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #1,424 of 1,828

Is that a PSOne as a source? Nice!

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,425 of 1,828
Dynavox even used a PS1 as the basis for a high-end tube CD player (which sounds amazing - I heard one in Germany many years ago).

I only narrowly managed to defeat the "reach for wallet reflex". It sounds that good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back