Best looking tube amp
Dec 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,621 of 1,828

DeoxIt make a contact cleaner "DeoxIt"  and a contact protectant "DeoxIt Gold", which is applied after cleaning to prevent further oxidation.

• If you used DeoxIt to clean your tube pins, make sure it is 100% removed before using the tubes. You don't "rub some on after cleaning"
  • I would not use DeoxIt Gold after cleaning the pins as it can leave residue in the tube sockets. 

Here is me last night. Listening to the Ether Flows on the V281 while I'm ripping apart all tubes and spacers then cleaning all the pins. I was surprised. I removed a lot of gunk from the Takatsuzuki 274B pins. A lot. Enough to turn the bud black. I thought being a new tube it would have the least. Older tubes were fairly clean. All tube pins are now sparkly with no DeOxit on them. I just used contact cleaner. I left all pins out to dry for a few hours before re-installing.

I will give the amp a go tonight to see if it did anything to the sound.

Thanks for the advise.

Finished result. Also took the time to clean the amp and glass.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,623 of 1,828
I've had very good results cleaning tube pins with a fibreglass cleaning pencil/brush. This generic version is inexpensive and widely available -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-Glass-Scratch-Pencil-Brush-Clean-Remove-Rust-Dirt-Pen-Watch-Tools-Fiber-/281178279715

- do use gloves (latex are fine) as the fibreglass particles can irritate skin. The process is very simple, just brush up and down the tube pins until any oxidation is removed and the metal is noticeably `brighter'. Then use a Q-Tip and isopropyl alcohol to stroke the pins removing any residual fibreglass particles.

An inexpensive, quick and effective method to keep your tube pins clean.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,624 of 1,828
EAR Yoshino V12

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,628 of 1,828

Wow, always wanted to hear the McIntosh 75. Are you going to bring that to the next Seattle meet? Assuming the card on the cork give you a headphone out, do you use on speakers as well? What are your thoughts on both?

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,629 of 1,828
  Wow, always wanted to hear the McIntosh 75. Are you going to bring that to the next Seattle meet? Assuming the card on the cork give you a headphone out, do you use on speakers as well? What are your thoughts on both?

I do not know what it is, but that thing in the front is ruining the amp's beauty ... Sorry

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760478/the-all-new-continental-dual-mono/1755#post_13127422

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,631 of 1,828
Some good tips on here on cleaning tubes. I too use a little DeOxit, then IPA to remove residue and then a little DeOxit gold to lube the tubes.

Some nice looking amps on here! The Mac 275's are on my hit list...

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #1,633 of 1,828
Best small all tube amp:

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back