Best Listening Headphones (Under ~$500)?
Jul 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 98
You will not regret the NFB-12 with either the hd600's or the HD650's. I have the Audio-gd Fun which has the same sound quality and power as the NFB12 and it definitely does the HD650's justice. The thing with the HD650's is there is a noticeable treble roll off and a slight mid-bass hump. I would not say the HD650 is bad for classical but I'm not sure how it compares with the HD600. With classical I find the HD650 really brings strings to life, bassier instruments have power and the piano sounds real. The entire orchestra has body and has a sense of grandness to it. Where it loses out is with recordings that rely on anything above 10,000hz. The frequency is there, its just more in the background than usual. I have the new version and I don't regret it. I do wish i could compare the hd600 with it. From everything Ive read it would a downgrade for me, as I like the amazing detail (although it's not in your face) and instrument separation. Unlike the K701 where the instruments have more space between them, the HD650 is more intimate and yet it is very easy to pick out separate instruments. Some of the best separation I have ever heard, although I admittedly haven't heard many top tier cans. :)

BTW if you buy the headphones new they will be the newer versions. The cheapest price for the HD600 and HD650 is on ebay @ 290 and 335 respectively. The ebay seller Razordogdeals is an official sennheiser dealer. So you get full 2 year warranty.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #47 of 98
Hmm. Honestly I don't mind the idea of treble roll off. Treble is what fatigues me anyway (I tested with various headphones). I might go with the 650 after all then, but we'll see. I can always sell and swap if I'm unsatisfied, but I don't think I'll be unhappy whichever I choose.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #49 of 98
Quote:
Hmm. Honestly I don't mind the idea of treble roll off. Treble is what fatigues me anyway (I tested with various headphones). I might go with the 650 after all then, but we'll see. I can always sell and swap if I'm unsatisfied, but I don't think I'll be unhappy whichever I choose.

Can't go wrong, but the devil's in the details!  

The old and new version have different sound signatures, also the color of the drivers are slightly different.  It would probably be beneficial to research the year the change happened (I forget) and go by that.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #50 of 98
I know you! You posted this same question on Reddit! :0)

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #51 of 98
Haha. Yep :)

I actually posted on a few forums because I really didn't know where to ask. But by far I got the most and best answers on this forum (which makes sense I guess because it's dedicated for this kind of stuff) so sorry if I let the thread on the other ones die.

Anyway thanks everyone for all the help! This will be my first "entry" into the world of premium headphones :)

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #52 of 98
The hd650's with the nfb12 is a helluva start
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #54 of 98
atsmile.gif

Quick question: When I get the Sennheisers (probably a new warrantied HD 650), I expect the NFB12 won't have arrived from China yet (I haven't had an email response from them yet). So, I'll probably just let the headphones "burn in" 24/7 with nonamped pink noise until the NFB12 arrives.

Are there any tips for burning in? Is it possible to overheat or in some way harm them by leaving them on for *too* long at a stretch (like 24/7)? What volume should I use for burn-in? Is there a recommended 'pink noise' file I can use? 

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #56 of 98
Ive heard that 24/7 burn in is not good for the headphones.  I was wondering this too a while back and the advice given to me was to do it like 8 hours a day with your music at normal volume.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #57 of 98
Actually I'm reading that most burn-in is most likely psychological. I think it's plausible that it can let the diaphragm settle more naturally, but I doubt it's significant enough for me to spend time worrying about before I listen to them :). I'll just use them and listen to some music unamped until the dac/amp arrives (but first I have to actually order it :)).

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #58 of 98
Out of the box it sounds very bass heavy. I let it play over night and the next morning it sounded better. I haven't noticed any other changes after that, if there are any they're too small to bother with.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #59 of 98

Quote:
You will not regret the NFB-12 with either the hd600's or the HD650's. I have the Audio-gd Fun which has the same sound quality and power as the NFB12 and it definitely does the HD650's justice. The thing with the HD650's is there is a noticeable treble roll off and a slight mid-bass hump. I would not say the HD650 is bad for classical but I'm not sure how it compares with the HD600.

I have the Audio-GD FUN as well and own the HD600 (and have had more than my fair time listening to the HD650 in both the FUN and a Benchmark DAC PRE 1).  While the HD650 is nice the HD600 is a better headphone for faithful reproduction of the recording.  It has excellent soundstage as well.  It's been a while since I've heard an HD650 (few months) but I can certainly appreciate the open sound in comparison to my closed can for when I really want some pounding bass. 

To the original poster, like I said on AVSForum before I linked you over here don't just assume because the HD650 is a higher numerical model headphone doesn't mean it's "better."  They both have a different sound.  While some may like the inflated bass in the HD650 I bought the HD600 for it's more neutral sound...and trust me the bass is still there on the HD600.  Either way, if I want real hard hitting bass I'll just switch to the AH-D7000s.  :)

Anyways I think that NFB-12 is a nice cheaper alternative to the FUN it's about 90% of it' for 50% of the price.  Match that with an HD600 (I'm actually listening to that exact setup now) and you'll be set. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #60 of 98
I'm curious, were your HD 650's purchased before 2007? From what I read, the new 650s (white/silver colored drivers) are improved a bit and 'fixed' the "veiled" sound in previous revisions.

In any case it's too late now because I've placed a bid on ebay for Razordogdeals' brand new warrantied HD 650's for $344. If someone outbids me tonight I'll consider it a 'sign' and get some 600's :D.

I've read a lot of the pros/cons between the two and honestly it's kind of a coin flip for me - there are things I like about both models strengths, based on what I've found of my preference with admittedly cheaper headphones. I think I'll be happy either way, but if I really find the 650 too artificially colored I'll just buy 600's, compare, and sell the ones I don't like :)

P.S. How was your experience with buying from Audio-gd? Shipping speed, etc.? I guess I'm just excitedly impatient to get my setup in shape, and they don't have any 'cart' I can place an order, and am still waiting for their reply.

P.P.S. Nice C6 sig :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back