Best isolating tips for RE0
Jan 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

semisight

500+ Head-Fier
I recently received my RE0s and I've been greatly enjoying them. My only complaint is that they didn't come with a real carrying case. While I don't generally like silicone tips, the softer black tips are quite comfortable. However, I'm going to be on a plane for 8-9 hours (that's just one leg :O) in a few months, so I need isolating tips. I've heard the complys do something to the sound that's unfavorable, but honestly how bad is it? Also, there are the shure olives, but I don't know how to expand or decore them and I don't have the money to destroy a pack of them experimenting. I read somewhere that someone managed to get an ety triple flange tip on.

Should I try the modded olives, just use the complys, or go with something different?

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 16
I just went through a whole range of tips trying to find the best isolation for the RE0. My comparison was the Ety4s with Shure olives. The Ety4s are generally acknowledged as having some of the best isolation and that has been my experience.

I tried them at my local gym where the noise from the treadmills, radio and conversation can be surprisingly loud.

The decored Shure Olives came closest. If you have a fine needle nose pliers you can fit the Shure Olives on (but you'll probably destroy them taking them off). Next up were the double flange silicone tips (white) that came with them. Finally, the regular silicone tips. I tried the Sony hybrids and didn't notice much difference from the stock silicone tips. Finally, yes the complys, a usual favorite of mine, don't work well for reasons that aren't readily apparent to me.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Alright, I'm willing to give the olives a try I guess. How hard is it to decore them?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 16
The smallest black tips pushed right up over the silver band on the nozzle work best for me without reducing SQ. The complies had slightly better isolation but noticeably inferior SQ.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I'm willing to give the olives a try I guess. How hard is it to decore them?

it takes me probably around a minute total for a pair of olives. i pretty much just squeeze the olive and then push the core out slowly trying not to leave any of the foam still on the core. its pretty simple and its the best way ive found for isolation short of custom sleeves.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it takes me probably around a minute total for a pair of olives. i pretty much just squeeze the olive and then push the core out slowly trying not to leave any of the foam still on the core. its pretty simple and its the best way ive found for isolation short of custom sleeves.

I tried that but after 5 minutes all I have is a smushed olive and no core
frown.gif
. I guess I'll keep trying. Which end did you squeeze?

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 16
the top part..the side that isnt where you put it in the tube.

well it looked smushed afterwards but goes back into the shape it was before after a little while

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Ha! Decored! 10 minutes and a pen! Now I have do do the other one
tongue.gif

Thanks for your help!
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 16
heh no problem..the first time i decored them it took a bit longer but afterwards its quite simple

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 16
The olives feel so wrong without the cores. But then they're old, I think I need new ones.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 16

I picked up the Comply T400 foam tips from a local Radio Shack. They work well with the RE0. They're more comfortable and isolate better than the included tips. Plus it improved the bass response, maybe because of a better seal. But that's just me. YMMV. The TX400 tip has (supposedly) an acoustically transparent shield that protects the drivers. I'm thinking of getting these and I actually hope that the guard isn't as transparent as claimed. Of course, a little piece of foam can also tame that HF, which is a little too lively for my taste.

Edit: Oops. The OP made the first post in January. Gotta read these things better.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 16
I am a big fan of the Monster Turbine foam supertips, they have offered the best isolation and sound quality in my experience with the RE0
Edit: I use size small for deep insertion
Edit2:
Quote:
Edit: Oops. The OP made the first post in January. Gotta read these things better.

haha did the same thing

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 16
I just tried the tri-flange tips that came with the Monster Turbines on the RE0s and - WOW, what a difference! 

The bass really came out and what I was missing from them finally showed up.  These went from "soon to go back" (DBA-02s already ordered), to - "my wife will kill me, but maybe I can sell plasma on the side and keep them."  

Anyway, I like the iso with triflange, they stay in place, and the sound quality improved drastically for me. 

Edit -

I noticed the OP's date, but I'm just so surprised by the RE0s improvement I just had to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back