best ipod headphones?
Jan 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mattar

New Head-Fier
hello, new around here...

What headphones would you recommend for an ipod (no amp)?

This is assuming a max paying price of 400~ USD, take or give.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 7
what type of sound do you like?

warm or bright?  big bass or tighter/leaner?  ultra clear, sparkly highs or smooth and non-fatiguing?  and so forth....

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd honestly struggle to answer those questions if I attempted to do so.

But perhaps if I gave you a sample song I enjoy then you could a taste of what I enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vn6I17yWw

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Was looking for a good portable set myself for unamped, ipod/iphone use only and decided on the Phiaton MS 400. They have better bass and are more portable, i.e. smaller than the PS 500; they're great headphones to just pick up and start enjoying music with right off the bat. Based on the song you posted, I think the MS 400 would be a great choice particularly if like me you want something really portable that blocks out a lot of sound and preserves some bass while you're commuting.

They're available at Amazon for $170-183 depending on color: both are far below your stated budget. If you want to spend $400 on the best possible set, you can do better than the Phiatons. But if you'd like to save as much as possible, the MS 400 offer great value.

If you want a more exhaustive and technical analysis of them, check out the reviews here by |joker|, Armaegis, and swbf2cheater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back