Best in ear's for $150?
Sep 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 26
What is so hard about a foam mod? All you do is stick some foam in there. If you don't want to do the mod, just use Sony Hybrid tips. I'll go with the mod since it is like 100x cheaper than buying the Sony tips but the Sony tips are more comfortable. For the best sound, use the cheap ultimate ears replacement tips from eBay (the ones with the big hole) and then do the foam mod. Bass extension lower and highs are good with reducing sibilance with the foam mod.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #25 of 26
The high end is more crisp, aggressive and sharp on the HJE900. Coupled with tips with smaller bores than the HJE900's own bore, which help tame the highs to varying degrees (such as the meelec biflanges or monster foam supertips in my case), the high end is much more tolerable. I do encounter sibilance from time to time, but it's never to an intolerable extent. The midrange loses out to the FXT90, however, as the HJE900's mids aren't as clear or transparent as the FXT90's, and are on the warm and sweet side. As per the bass, they both offer a perfect blend of quality and quantity, though the HJE900's low end is just as aggressive as the high end. In that regard, it occasionally reminds me of my beloved FX700's, which I feel the HJE900 compliments in many ways. Presentation wise, the HJE900 is more upfront, intimate and engaging, though not as transparent, open and airy as the FXT90. The FXT90 also gains the edge when it comes to imaging and instrument separation, which it manages beautifully. The HJE900, on the other hand, isn't lacking either, and also has a spacious, albeit comparatively warmer, more aggressive presentation all around. That said, I don't feel one replaces the other, per se. I find myself reaching for either one depending on my mood, but I do feel the HJE900 is closer to the FX700, than is the FXT90, given the HJE900's similarly aggressive high and low ends, while the midrange has just enough presence to never go unnoticed. 
smile.gif

P.S. For my intents and purposes (mainly trance & progressive), the HJE900 sounds absolutely fantastic, though whenever it comes to vocal trance, I prefer my FXT90.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
The high end is more crisp, aggressive and sharp on the HJE900. Coupled with tips with smaller bores than the HJE900's own bore, which help tame the highs to varying degrees (such as the meelec biflanges or monster foam supertips in my case), the high end is much more tolerable. I do encounter sibilance from time to time, but it's never to an intolerable extent. The midrange loses out to the FXT90, however, as the HJE900's mids aren't as clear or transparent as the FXT90's, and are on the warm and sweet side. As per the bass, they both offer a perfect blend of quality and quantity, though the HJE900's low end is just as aggressive as the high end. In that regard, it occasionally reminds me of my beloved FX700's, which I feel the HJE900 compliments in many ways. Presentation wise, the HJE900 is more upfront, intimate and engaging, though not as transparent, open and airy as the FXT90. The FXT90 also gains the edge when it comes to imaging and instrument separation, which it manages beautifully. The HJE900, on the other hand, isn't lacking either, and also has a spacious, albeit comparatively warmer, more aggressive presentation all around. That said, I don't feel one replaces the other, per se. I find myself reaching for either one depending on my mood, but I do feel the HJE900 is closer to the FX700, than is the FXT90, given the HJE900's similarly aggressive high and low ends, while the midrange has just enough presence to never go unnoticed. 
smile.gif

P.S. For my intents and purposes (mainly trance & progressive), the HJE900 sounds absolutely fantastic, though whenever it comes to vocal trance, I prefer my FXT90.

Congratulations, you have gotten me interested in the FXT90. When I get some extra money I'm going to try to find one on here to compare with my HJE900s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back