Best iems in the market for good soundstage and good clarity
Aug 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Add1son89

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of IEMs. I am pretty interested in the Shures SE535 Ltd Ed but i just want to know if there are other good ones out there with better soundstage and clarity. I heard the Senns IE80 are good. What do you guys think? 

Any other good IEMS too

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 20
My collection of universal IEMs, by personal ranking --

Sony MDR EX-1000 (discontinued)
Sony XBA-4
Sony MDR EX-600 (discontinued)
Shure SE-535 (2sets, both bronze & clear)
Westone 4R
Sennheiser IE8

The Sony MDRs have the clearest, deepest, most powerful bass, followed by the XBA-4s.  If you like EDM (electronic dance music) like Deadmau5 or Kaskade, you can't find better IEMs.

There's subjectively little difference in my kind of music wearing the Shures or Westones.  All seem to fuzz up at the BA crossovers.  The music is definitely "murky" compared to the Sonys.  Not in a bad way -- they make the music sound like a hi-def radio channel.  But after you've listened with Sonys it's hard to transition back.

The Westones have the thinnest cable, Shures the thickest cable.  Shures are very comfortable to wear.  In contrast, Westones with Comply tips can make you forget you're wearing them.

IE8s are tweakable -- there's an adjustable bass setting.

Of these sets, the XBA-4s and IE8s do not have field-replaceable cables.  This should be a priority to safeguard your investment.

I regularly rotate between all these sets, and find that I'm constantly fussing with eartip size and shape. Olives with one set sound best; triple flanges elsewhere are the key. Unfortunately, I can't make Complys work everywhere. :)  (Part of the problem is that each IEM model speaker aperture is different in diameter and length, the housing weighs differently, and the mass is balanced differently between dynamic and 3- or 4-BA speaker types.  Even wearing all cords over-the-ear, the cord weight and stiffness influences how the IEMs sit.  And if you wear while exercising or in other sweat-inducing environments, you have a whole extra set of conditions to consider.)

If the SE535 limited edition (reds) were obtainable at the prices I paid for my two regular sets, I'd consider adding to my collection.  I wouldn't pay a nickel more, though.  The red housing is like slapping a Lexus sticker on a Camry. :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
I am looking for a pair of IEMs. I am pretty interested in the Shures SE535 Ltd Ed but i just want to know if there are other good ones out there with better soundstage and clarity. I heard the Senns IE80 are good. What do you guys think? 

Any other good IEMS too

the ie80 have good sound stage and clarity but there are better iem for clarity like the w4 or um3x but the ie80 soundstage is one of the best out there in my opinion

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 20
Based on reviews for the Shure Se535 Ltd Ed, they have changed the sound signature and it tends to solve problems on the normal 535s. I guess i have to try the westone 4 before i make a decision. Seems like it is equally or even better than the 535

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
Based on reviews for the Shure Se535 Ltd Ed, they have changed the sound signature and it tends to solve problems on the normal 535s. I guess i have to try the westone 4 before i make a decision. Seems like it is equally or even better than the 535

My IE80s paired to the Studio V are amazingly good. The SE535s were not that great IMO. They sound is more balanced than the SE500s but in no way warrants its cost. It's more of a boutique item than price to performance.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 20
What's the price range? and have you considered waiting for the Aurisonics ASG-2's to come out? I have a set of the custom model and they are amazing. Ridiculously large soundstage you can't believe you have in IEM's and the clarity is absolutely killer. I have a review in my sig, just click on "AS-2". Let me know what you think. They should be out in the next few months. Price has yet to be announced, nor has the release date been announced, but I know they'll be out before the end of the year for sure.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 20
The SM3, IE80, JVC FX700, Sony EX1000, GR07 offers wider soundstage than SE535 and overall very detailed soundsignature.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
My IE80s paired to the Studio V are amazingly good. The SE535s were not that great IMO. They sound is more balanced than the SE500s but in no way warrants its cost. It's more of a boutique item than price to performance.

+1 on this. studio v and ie80 pair is just incredible.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
My collection of universal IEMs, by personal ranking --

Sony MDR EX-1000 (discontinued)
Sony XBA-4
Sony MDR EX-600 (discontinued)
Shure SE-535 (2sets, both bronze & clear)
Westone 4R
Sennheiser IE8

The Sony MDRs have the clearest, deepest, most powerful bass, followed by the XBA-4s.  If you like EDM (electronic dance music) like Deadmau5 or Kaskade, you can't find better IEMs.

There's subjectively little difference in my kind of music wearing the Shures or Westones.  All seem to fuzz up at the BA crossovers.  The music is definitely "murky" compared to the Sonys.  Not in a bad way -- they make the music sound like a hi-def radio channel.  But after you've listened with Sonys it's hard to transition back.

The Westones have the thinnest cable, Shures the thickest cable.  Shures are very comfortable to wear.  In contrast, Westones with Comply tips can make you forget you're wearing them.

IE8s are tweakable -- there's an adjustable bass setting.

Of these sets, the XBA-4s and IE8s do not have field-replaceable cables.  This should be a priority to safeguard your investment.

I regularly rotate between all these sets, and find that I'm constantly fussing with eartip size and shape. Olives with one set sound best; triple flanges elsewhere are the key. Unfortunately, I can't make Complys work everywhere. :)  (Part of the problem is that each IEM model speaker aperture is different in diameter and length, the housing weighs differently, and the mass is balanced differently between dynamic and 3- or 4-BA speaker types.  Even wearing all cords over-the-ear, the cord weight and stiffness influences how the IEMs sit.  And if you wear while exercising or in other sweat-inducing environments, you have a whole extra set of conditions to consider.)

If the SE535 limited edition (reds) were obtainable at the prices I paid for my two regular sets, I'd consider adding to my collection.  I wouldn't pay a nickel more, though.  The red housing is like slapping a Lexus sticker on a Camry. :)

The IE8s do have removable cables, no?

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 20
I went to my local shop to listen to the IE80. Seems abit tight in terms of sound stage. I was hoping something more wide. 

Yeah, but what source did you use? This will have a major outcome on soundstage width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back