Best IEMS for ~$250
May 30, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:
No point in buying GR07 now since it will be discontinued shortly for the updated version.

I'd start with this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/w-Tracking-No-VSONIC-R04pro-GR04-Updated-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-E004-/261006982386

Wait. Really? ****, I need to get a GR07 soon...Do you have any sources?
Quote:
If GR07 is ruled out, then what other options do i have? my music is mainly focused on the vocals, as well as the bass.

Hm...are you sure you want a neutral sound? What IEM or headphone are you coming from?

May 30, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 54
I would recommend the UM3Xs. They are around your price range, have superb clarity and since you like bass, the bass is very very kicky and impactful. Your Asian music probably won't need a lot of warmth, so I think the UM3X signature would be decent for you! Some people say the UM3Xs are very mid forward, but being someone who has spent most of their time on SE530s/535s and SM3s, I'd have to say the UM3X isn't as mid-forward, but they're still very very present. Depending on the recording the mids might come out and be quite forward, but overall, they seem neutrally placed. By the way, the UM3Xs are probably the most sonically impressive of all the IEMs I've ever heard, though my music didn't match the sound signature too much.

May 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #21 of 54
The RE272 might just be the best iem for under $250. If the Ortofon EQ-5 is close to the GR10, as some have said, I would suggest that as well. Personally, for a well-balanced sound the SE425 is also a consideration, particularly when you consider warranty, build quality and replaceable cable. I think it would be the most satisfying iem for the most number of people at that price point. 

May 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:
You should go into the CKM500 thread and ask if anyone has thoughts on J-Pop or K-Pop. Price is below 100 but people seem to be very high on it, regardless. The CKM700 might be coming out later this year though so you could always wait. Same deal with the ASG-2 from Aurisonics thats supposed to be designed more for audiophiles rather than stage performers compared to the ASG-1.2. 

You should definitely check out Aurisonics. The ASG-2 is supposed to be officially announced very soon ("within a few short weeks"), however you wouldn't necessarily go wrong with the 1.2. As stated above, it's tuned for stage performers, but if it's a little to dark then eq should brighten it up to your standards. Also, you will be able to trade them in for an upgrade to the 2 series when it gets released for a fee.

The ASG-2 looks very promising, I would say it's worth waiting a few weeks to check out.

Edit: Also, if you contact Aurisonics, they should be able to answer any questions at all that you might have. Their customer service is second to none.

May 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #23 of 54
Ditto on the ASG-1. Here's a little something I wrote about it vs the GR07:

Sound

The whole point of the ASG-1 was to address the "faults" of the original version. I am happy to say that every issue I described has been resolved. However, one problem has arisen.

I'll start off with the most glaring fault of this revision of the ASG-1. The treble.

It's refined, it's richly defined with timbre as good, or better, than the GR07 (yeah, I know). The problem is that there's barely any of it. This leads to an overall darker sound that I feel HAS to be EQ'ed to restore some balance to the sound. When I do EQ it, it's the best earphone I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Below is the EQ is use on the Equalizer app for iPhone. As a matter of fact, it's just the "Treble Booster" preset.

My initial intent for this review was to continue the comparison with the Vsonic GR07, but there's really no point in going into detail. I've never heard my GR07 so utterly outclassed. The attributes that I could usually use to stand on a leg and defend the GR07 are simply done better by the ASG-1.2. 

The most striking thing to me was the difference in POWER  that the ASG-1.2 has over the GR07. I'm not just talking about bass response, but just in the overall sound is exuded by the ASG-1. It's really quite stunning, and makes my GR07 sound positively anemic in comparison.

The next aspect is the soundstage. I went from not hearing any discernable difference between the two, to it being a different story altogether. The greatest part about the ASG-1's presentation is the height of the soundstage. It's an involving, engaging experience that makes me not want to put it down. It's completely 3D, being able to throw cues in ANY direction.

The best part component of the ASG-1's sound, and the nail in the GR07's coffin, is the midrange. Now that the beast has been reigned in, it's become a magnificent animal that is capable of both power, and delicacy. I had maybe my third "wow" hi-fi moment when listening to John Mayer's "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," and Taylor Swift's "Never Grow Up," and also her "Last Kiss" (I make no apologies for my music tastes, they are very diverse). Going back to my GR07 was just...underwhelming.

I had trouble recommending the version 1.0 of the Aurisonics ASG-1 due to it's problems. Would I version 1.2 over my previous favorite, the GR07, despite the diminished treble presence? A resounding yes. Reason being, you can EQ up the treble, but you can't add power and soundstage to an IEM.

In short, ASG-1.2 = AWESOME!!!

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 54
I second s0lar recommendations in the e-Q5 and RE262, even the e-Q7 which is better than the e-Q5 to some for vocals but the e-Q5 is more balanced and just sound more well rounded than the e-Q7.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #29 of 54
I can't comment on EQ-7 unfortunately. 
@Techno Kid: Have you done an A/B comparison between EQ-5/7?
EDIT: I re-read your review, found a compariosn there. Seems like EQ-7 focuses even more on vocals with more forward mids. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back