Best IEM tips?
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,621 of 3,274
OK folks I figure if I can't find an answer here to my IEM woes it'll never happen. My issue is fit: my ears are rather oddly shaped, apparently, and it's exceptionally tough to find tips that seal well and stay put. Stock eartips have never fit. The only ones that seal are the largest - diameter Comply ones (I researched) and even those fall out or need adjustment after maybe 15-30ish minutes.

Besides custom-molded ones does anyone know of some exceptionally large tips they can recommend? As I recall Etymotic makes some really, really big yellow ones, maybe I should just splurge on some Etys. I'd love to get to experience all of the great IEMs that are out there but if they don't fit right then there's not much point.
Which IEMs are you using? I have very similar issues, and I have found that found that the shorter the stem of the IEM, the worse this problem becomes. The only way I have ever been able to even remotely get most IEMs to fit is by having to basically cut my own stem-lengtheners from silicone tubing, or by using extra long-stemmed ear-tips. HOWEVER - the only IEMs that don't give me the same problem (so far) are my two pair of Etymotics, using their newer dual-flanged silicone tips. In fact, I don't even need to use their largest eartips, because their IEMs are very small, and are made to be inserted very deep. I have found that the deeper the IEM insertion, the better the seal for me, because this way the ear tips make contact with my ear canal where it is the narrowest. Despite needing the largest tips for pretty much every other IEM I have ever used, I can get away with the medium dual-flange Etymotic tips, when used with their IEM. I would imagine that if I tried the same tips on a shallower fitting IEM, I'd have the same problem that I do with all the others.

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #1,622 of 3,274
Which IEMs are you using? I have very similar issues, and I have found that found that the shorter the stem of the IEM, the worse this problem becomes. The only way I have ever been able to even remotely get most IEMs to fit is by having to basically cut my own stem-lengtheners from silicone tubing, or by using extra long-stemmed ear-tips. HOWEVER - the only IEMs that don't give me the same problem (so far) are my two pair of Etymotics, using their newer dual-flanged silicone tips. In fact, I don't even need to use their largest eartips, because their IEMs are very small, and are made to be inserted very deep. I have found that the deeper the IEM insertion, the better the seal for me, because this way the ear tips make contact with my ear canal where it is the narrowest. Despite needing the largest tips for pretty much every other IEM I have ever used, I can get away with the medium dual-flange Etymotic tips, when used with their IEM. I would imagine that if I tried the same tips on a shallower fitting IEM, I'd have the same problem that I do with all the others.
Thank you! It sounds like we might be in a similar boat. It's been my experience too that shallow IEMs just don't work for me, even with those Comply tips that sort-of work. Comply's "truly wireless" tips for those kind of IEMs are far too shallow and I have to use their "Smartcore" ones, then remove them any time I want to charge the IEMs as the case won't close with them on. I'm amazed that it's possible for anyone to have "true wireless" buds held in place by the fit of their ear and the eartip's friction alone. I have found that models with fins are my only hope of keeping them in place and thus far the Jabra Elite Sport are the only ones I've found that don't fall out during exercise, albeit with a sub-optimal seal.

It's sounding more and more like I do need to invest in some Etymotics. Looks like the ER3XR is the same price as the ER2XR on Amazon, only $100. Not a bad price at all.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,623 of 3,274
Thank you! It sounds like we might be in a similar boat. It's been my experience too that shallow IEMs just don't work for me, even with those Comply tips that sort-of work. Comply's "truly wireless" tips for those kind of IEMs are far too shallow and I have to use their "Smartcore" ones, then remove them any time I want to charge the IEMs as the case won't close with them on. I'm amazed that it's possible for anyone to have "true wireless" buds held in place by the fit of their ear and the eartip's friction alone. I have found that models with fins are my only hope of keeping them in place and thus far the Jabra Elite Sport are the only ones I've found that don't fall out during exercise, albeit with a sub-optimal seal.

It's sounding more and more like I do need to invest in some Etymotics. Looks like the ER3XR is the same price as the ER2XR on Amazon, only $100. Not a bad price at all.
I own the ER-2XR and ER-4XR, and love them both. I like that the 2 is a dynamic driver, and the 4 is a balanced armature, so it's nice to have the contrast, sometimes. There are a few versions of the ER-2 packaging, online, and I HIGHLY recommend making sure that you make sure whichever one you order includes the dual-flange tips (the actual IEMs are the same, but the older ones don't have the dual-flange, and those are the only tips that I like). I am a professional mixing and mastering engineer, and nothing gets sent to clients until I've checked it on my Etys first! The only other thing to know is that these things isolate outside noise more than any other headphone (in-ear or over ear), that I've ever tried. In general, that is a great thing, but just something to be aware of when walking down the street!

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,624 of 3,274
I own the ER-2XR and ER-4XR, and love them both. I like that the 2 is a dynamic driver, and the 4 is a balanced armature, so it's nice to have the contrast, sometimes. There are a few versions of the ER-2 packaging, online, and I HIGHLY recommend making sure that you make sure whichever one you order includes the dual-flange tips (the actual IEMs are the same, but the older ones don't have the dual-flange, and those are the only tips that I like). I am a professional mixing and mastering engineer, and nothing gets sent to clients until I've checked it on my Etys first! The only other thing to know is that these things isolate outside noise more than any other headphone (in-ear or over ear), that I've ever tried. In general, that is a great thing, but just something to be aware of when walking down the street!
Thanks! That's very helpful. Do you by chance have any thoughts on the ER2XR vs the ER3XR? I'm having trouble finding information on the difference between them. I just keep reading that the ER2XR is incredible. Scratch that, I think I've found some reviews. It sounds like ER2XR would be my preferred option; it's $100 on Amazon. Unfortunately the ER3XR is only $70 on Adorama. Ugh.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,625 of 3,274
OK folks I figure if I can't find an answer here to my IEM woes it'll never happen. My issue is fit: my ears are rather oddly shaped, apparently, and it's exceptionally tough to find tips that seal well and stay put. Stock eartips have never fit. The only ones that seal are the largest - diameter Comply ones (I researched) and even those fall out or need adjustment after maybe 15-30ish minutes.

Besides custom-molded ones does anyone know of some exceptionally large tips they can recommend? As I recall Etymotic makes some really, really big yellow ones, maybe I should just splurge on some Etys. I'd love to get to experience all of the great IEMs that are out there but if they don't fit right then there's not much point.
Have you tried Xelastecs? These warm up and mold to your ear (like customs) and are grippy. Also the Sony Sony EP-EX11 work well. Soft enough to conform to your ear canal and they seem to stay in due to being longer than usual.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,626 of 3,274
Thanks! That's very helpful. Do you by chance have any thoughts on the ER2XR vs the ER3XR? I'm having trouble finding information on the difference between them. I just keep reading that the ER2XR is incredible. Scratch that, I think I've found some reviews. It sounds like ER2XR would be my preferred option; it's $100 on Amazon. Unfortunately the ER3XR is only $70 on Adorama. Ugh.
I'd say even at $100 it's a great value. BUT - there are multiple sellers on amazon. I saw it there, just 3 days ago, for $85. Even still, I don't think there is any competition for it unless you spent far more on custom shells. And, because I seem to have a similar problem that you do, I have not only owned at least 30 - 40 different IEMs, I have purchased nearly every aftermarket tip on the market, in every different size. My recommendation would be to add it to your amazon cart, and then check every few days to see if the price drops. Even though I already own them, for some reason there was still a pair in my "saved for later" section of my cart, and, like I said, I've seen it drop to $80-85 very regularly.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,627 of 3,274
Have you tried Xelastecs? These warm up and mold to your ear (like customs) and are grippy. Also the Sony Sony EP-EX11 work well. Soft enough to conform to your ear canal and they seem to stay in due to being longer than usual.
I have tried those, and their newer Crystal ones, and all of the other Sedna tips. The problem is the Xelastecs and similar ones don't have the longer stems that their regular silicone tips do. And to solve this issue, we need deeper insertion, not only larger and grippier. If they ever come out with a long-stemmed version, I will try them in a heartbeat. But I tried every size of the Xelastecs and none worked well for me.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,628 of 3,274
Thank you! Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I would have to say that I think @gotktastick is right on this one; those looks like the other eartips I've had and would need to be extremely large in order to make a difference for me.

I'd say even at $100 it's a great value. BUT - there are multiple sellers on amazon. I saw it there, just 3 days ago, for $85. Even still, I don't think there is any competition for it unless you spent far more on custom shells. And, because I seem to have a similar problem that you do, I have not only owned at least 30 - 40 different IEMs, I have purchased nearly every aftermarket tip on the market, in every different size. My recommendation would be to add it to your amazon cart, and then check every few days to see if the price drops. Even though I already own them, for some reason there was still a pair in my "saved for later" section of my cart, and, like I said, I've seen it drop to $80-85 very regularly.

Good advice. I checked CamelCamelCamel which confirms what you're saying, it looks like back at the end of January they were last in the mid 80's and if Amazon doesn't come through for me other sites have them at $100. As much as I want these right away I don't need them. I'll set a price alert and try and save $20.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,630 of 3,274
Ah I see. That's true, I typically use the Xelastic on the Nuarl N6P which are actually a bit longer and so the MS size sits pretty deep in my canal. I think the KZ Starlines and BLON tips are the longest ones I can remember but they tend to slip out over time. I have this issue with other sets and the Sony tips are the only ones which have been workable.

https://macha795.com/wp-content/upl...5-xa505153-nuarl-n6-pro-earphone-and-case.jpg

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,631 of 3,274
Thank you! Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I would have to say that I think @gotktastick is right on this one; those looks like the other eartips I've had and would need to be extremely large in order to make a difference for me.

Good advice. I checked CamelCamelCamel which confirms what you're saying, it looks like back at the end of January they were last in the mid 80's and if Amazon doesn't come through for me other sites have them at $100. As much as I want these right away I don't need them. I'll set a price alert and try and save $20.
That sounds like a smart plan. Like I said, worst care scenario is you wind up waiting and still paying $100. I have spent $20 just on buying expensive 3rd party eartips for other IEMs MANY times, and still didn't get the fit I wanted. I can't tell you how many times I eagerly awaited the delivery of some new, hyped up IEM or eartip, only to wind up disappointed. I have tons of great IEMs that I can't even use, simply because of the fit. It got to the point for me where the fit and seal have become the single most important factor in an IEM, to me. I'd take a worse performing set that fit me well over a better one that doesn't, any time. Thankfully the Etys happen to perform exceptionally well. I do still plan on one day getting custom molds made, just so I never have to deal with these issues again.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,632 of 3,274
That sounds like a smart plan. Like I said, worst care scenario is you wind up waiting and still paying $100. I have spent $20 just on buying expensive 3rd party eartips for other IEMs MANY times, and still didn't get the fit I wanted. I can't tell you how many times I eagerly awaited the delivery of some new, hyped up IEM or eartip, only to wind up disappointed. I have tons of great IEMs that I can't even use, simply because of the fit. It got to the point for me where the fit and seal have become the single most important factor in an IEM, to me. I'd take a worse performing set that fit me well over a better one that doesn't, any time. Thankfully the Etys happen to perform exceptionally well. I do still plan on one day getting custom molds made, just so I never have to deal with these issues again.
The two biggest detractors for custom molds, at least based on my knowledge of them, are cost and the fact that you can only use them with a single IEM. For my normal price range the IEMs I'm using would cost maybe 2/3 at most of the cost of the custom tips, and that's just for a single IEM. Not worth it just to hear my BL-03 or even XBA-H1. I'm curious about the UE Fits but not sufficiently to spend $150 on them.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,633 of 3,274
The two biggest detractors for custom molds, at least based on my knowledge of them, are cost and the fact that you can only use them with a single IEM. For my normal price range the IEMs I'm using would cost maybe 2/3 at most of the cost of the custom tips, and that's just for a single IEM. Not worth it just to hear my BL-03 or even XBA-H1. I'm curious about the UE Fits but not sufficiently to spend $150 on them.
Ha! We really are in the same boat - I had all those same thoughts about custom molds, and decided against them for the same reasons. And I also found the BL-03 to be a really pain trying to fit. I bought the BL-05 right when it came out, and I actually had much better luck with the fit than with the 03, but I didn't like the sound nearly enough to keep using them. And I also was very intrigued by the UE Fits, and still wonder if they would actually work with my ears, but I didn't want to buy a pair of true-wireless phones like that, without being able to try them out, knowing that in a year or two the battery would be trash. I also am an all Apple user, and I didn't want to spend that on IEMs that couldn't even transmit lossless audio - only AAC. Maybe one day I will splurge on actual custom IEMs and buy a set that I know will last me for a long time, but until then, I'll stick with my Etys, while also hoping that more companies make better, longer-stemmed shells and replacement tips. AZLA is on the right track with their Sedna silicone tips and their longer stems (although the shape of the tip itself still doesn't seal well enough to recommend them), but I wish more companies added those long stems to their tips.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,634 of 3,274
Like a lot of people I've become quite a fan of the Epro horn tips. They just add this warmth and smoothness to everything and they sound unlike anything else I've tried (Final Type E, Whizzer SS20, Alza Earfit light, CP100, various stock stips). They're also super comfy when you get used to inserting their odd shape.

I'm still building up my vocabulary/perception for this hobby so I'm wondering. How do you think they effect the sound stage/ overall presentation compared to other tips?

I have a pair of yanyin aladdins which I love for most genres but found I prefer my globes better for electronic. Not because of the bass or even overall tuning, I'm actually not the biggest fan overall, but just how the sound stage was closer (I think). I think the word commonly used would be more "intimate"? With the Epro's however it seems to bridge the gap a bit. It still retains a lot of that space/separation but returns that immersing sort of intoxicating feel of the globes. Everything feels more jelled together and less spaced out but in a good way.

So what general quality am I hearing? Are the mids more "forward" now? It sounds like the layer of sound that was previously more in the foreground is more merged with the layers that I hear to the left/right and in the middle of my head. I'm interested in what y'all think so I can hone my preference for my next pair.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,635 of 3,274
I've tried a few different types of ear tips on my Sennheiser IE 400 Pros, but I'm afraid to use them since there's no filter or wax guard in them like the stock Sennheiser tips. Am I being too worried? The holes in the nozzle screen are big compared to the fine meshes that other companies use.

Should I just stick with the stock tips with the foam inserts, or is it really a non-issue?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back