Best IEM tips?
May 15, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #3,331 of 3,383
So... As someone who has really started to enjoy IEM's over the last few months, but have not spend much time tip rolling, I'm wondering where to start?
I guess it would make sense to try out vastly different tips, to get a rough idea of what works for me, yes?
Can you guys recommend 3-4 different tips that are very different? I'm not too concerned about price.

@BS5711 already told me a few weeks back that I should definitely try tip rolling, so I better get into it, especially now that I'm investing a bit more into IEM's (have the Mega 5EST on the way) 🙂 So any recommendation is welcome, thanks.

May 15, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #3,333 of 3,383
So... As someone who has really started to enjoy IEM's over the last few months, but have not spend much time tip rolling, I'm wondering where to start?
I guess it would make sense to try out vastly different tips, to get a rough idea of what works for me, yes?
Can you guys recommend 3-4 different tips that are very different? I'm not too concerned about price.

@BS5711 already told me a few weeks back that I should definitely try tip rolling, so I better get into it, especially now that I'm investing a bit more into IEM's (have the Mega 5EST on the way) 🙂 So any recommendation is welcome, thanks.
As someone who has recently been through the wringer in terms of finding a good fit for an especially troublesome set, I can say that you never know just how "different" two tips can be until you try them. A lot of times, two tips that look and feel very similar will fit completely differently once you try them. Shell shape, nozzle shape, and ear shape will all make tips fit in wildly different ways.

My advice: I'd just start collecting a bunch of tips. No need for recs (they'll fit you differently anyway). And don't be too committed to one size.

May 15, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #3,334 of 3,383
Sure, some IMO different design and material approaches:
(I on purpose don't go into length and bore diameter here)

• Smooth, soft: Divinus Velvet
  • Somewhat sticky: AZLA Clear or XELASTEC
  • JVC Spiral Dots ++
  • Final Audio Type E
  • DUNU S&S, a rather unusual cylindric design
  • Any "comply" style foam tips for something completely different
  • Mix of silicone and foam: Hfigo X Zeos tips

May 15, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #3,335 of 3,383

Final Type E
JVC Spiral Dot++
TRI Clarion
NF Audio MS42

May 15, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #3,337 of 3,383
As someone who has recently been through the wringer in terms of finding a good fit for an especially troublesome set, I can say that you never know just how "different" two tips can be until you try them. A lot of times, two tips that look and feel very similar will fit completely differently once you try them. Shell shape, nozzle shape, and ear shape will all make tips fit in wildly different ways.

My advice: I'd just start collecting a bunch of tips. No need for recs (they'll fit you differently anyway). And don't be too committed to one size.
I was mostly asking for recommendations to ensure that I get something that is different from each other, not what fit others well.
But I appreciate you input and advice 🙏

Sure, some IMO different design and material approaches:
(I on purpose don't go into length and bore diameter here)

• Smooth, soft: Divinus Velvet
  • Somewhat sticky: AZLA Clear or XELASTEC
  • JVC Spiral Dots ++
  • Final Audio Type E
  • DUNU S&S, a rather unusual cylindric design
  • Any "comply" style foam tips for something completely different
  • Mix of silicone and foam: Hfigo X Zeos tips
Fantastic, will take a look at all of those 👌

Final Type E
JVC Spiral Dot++
TRI Clarion
NF Audio MS42
Thanks a lot, appreciate it 👍

May 15, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #3,338 of 3,383
Is there anyone here who bought a Pentaconn COREIR and regretted it? Who has one, can you write about it?
Yes, regretted actually twice. Initially I bought M size, it did not provide the proper fit. Next pair was ML, which did provide a better fit, but the bass diminished and trebles got more pronounced
My usual setup: FiiO M11S, Geek Wold GK100 with DIvinus Velvet eartips M/ML size. I also tried the pentaconns on Simgot EA1000, which has less bass than GK100 and it got even worse..

May 15, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #3,339 of 3,383
NF Audio MS42, TRI Clarion, DUNU S&S, HiFiGo x ZEOS and DIVINUS Velvet all on the way now.
Should be enough to get things "rolling" 😬

May 15, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #3,340 of 3,383
NF Audio MS42, TRI Clarion, DUNU S&S, HiFiGo x ZEOS and DIVINUS Velvet all on the way now.

KBear07 are good middle of the road tip but very much like the white silicone that came with the S12 Pro.

Final Audio Type E are a small bore tip with a quite different shape to the Velvet and might be worth trying.

Feaulle H570 from AliExpress stores are good and a different style.

Penon Liqueur are good with a sticky texture that might work, they are cheap.

Azla Crystal are like the Velvet in shape but are a bit sticky. I ended up with them on my S12 Pro.

For what it is worth I use Velvets on Campfire Solaris and IE600 (with a spacer) and Sony XM5 bluetooth IEM, Azla Crystal on S12 Pro, KBear 07 on AuR Ascension and H570 on AuR Neon Pro.

Coreir work pretty well on a few including the S12 Pro but they are not comfortable for me for more than an hour or two.

Your mileage will highly likely vary …. good luck.

Edited to add: do think about insertion angle and how far forward you rotate the IEM as you hold them just before insertion. Minor changes can, with some IEM, make a huge difference. You would think they will align themselves regardless of how you hold them but they don’t. This revelation (to me) resulted in my Solaris going from near unusable to effortless and very comfortable with the Velvets and the right technique. Even look in the mirror to see what is going on helped me. I was surprised how far forward I needed to rotate the whole IEM before inserting them for them to go in properly. On other IEM it isn’t nearly so important but it still has an effect. Push them in slowly and feel them go in helps also to get a good reliable fit each time.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #3,341 of 3,383
Hope you find an awesome fit and sound with one (or more?) of them! Fingers crossed.

At least you ordered truly different tips following different "tip philosophies" . This is one important first step into the world of tip rolling. 💪👍... and then some.

May 15, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #3,342 of 3,383
Is there anyone here who bought a Pentaconn COREIR and regretted it? Who has one, can you write about it?

I have some, they work well on several IEM but I don’t use them regularly because I find they get uncomfortable because the metal insert doesn’t deform and creates an area of pressure in my ear canal. If inserted with a gentle pressure that helps but overall they were not worth the effort or cost to me.

May 15, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #3,343 of 3,383

Eartips can literally make or break an IEM - see case in point with the BLON BL-03 with its too short nozzles, necessitating some consumers to buy aftermarket longer nozzle tips or do mods to salvage the fit.

Not only do eartips affect comfort, but they affect seal and isolation (seal plays a part in sub-bass perception). Importantly, eartips also influence the sound, as can be shown from the graphs below.

Here are how various silicone eartips tame or boost the treble and upper mids on the Moondrop Stellaris as an example:
354452415_651488880199895_2722877049489285474_n.jpg

Measurements above 10k are not accurate, but let's look at the 1.5 kHz to 8 kHz bands.

• The green graph is with the stock Softear Ultra Clear silicone tips - this is the baseline frequency response.
  • A wide-bore eartip like the Tenmark Whirlwind gives the most treble boost - red graph.
  • The narrow-bore Final E Black tips tames the treble the most - black graph.

In general, narrow-bore ones tame treble (and the ears take the whole frequency response as a whole and perceives a bass boost in a way). Narrow-bore ones may tend to compress soundstage though.

In general, wide-bore tips boost treble and may expand soundstage. Usually, foam tips tame treble and provide better isolation, but foam tips may be less durable than silicone ones in hot or humid climates.

Some audiophiles spend tons of money on kilobuck cables (which we can't get objective graphs to show tonal differences), but eartips are generally cheaper and have objective changes on graphs. But that's another story for another time regarding cables! Fitting a new eartip is also reversible, say compared to putting mesh filters (eg Tanya filter) or doing mods to salvage the sound.

Do take note that ear anatomy has a big part to play in eartip fit and sonics, so even if we can graph something on a standard coupler, that may not 100% translate to the exact FR we hear in the ears due to ear anatomy affecting pinna gain (upper mids) for example.

Anyways, IMHO eartips are a very important (but underrated) aspect of the audio chain to play with to tune the IEM to your preference. If an IEM sounds bad out of the box, it may not hurt to find a couple of aftermarket eartips to see if it can improve the fit or sound. I try not to give up on an IEM until at least trying 4 - 5 eartip variations.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #3,344 of 3,383
Woah! So much great information, thanks a lot!
I'm getting all excited to try this out, as I most likely have underrated the importance of tips so far.
With the stock tips for the IEM's I already have, and the ones I've ordered, I think I'll have enough to get a very good idea of how much it can affect the sound and which ones work for me. When I have a base understanding of this, I can get a bit more specific in my search.
Again, thank you all for the advice and tips I really appreciate it, and will get back to this thread once I have an idea of the effect of the new tips :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back