Best IEM tips?
May 26, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #3,378 of 3,421
One word on the Azla Origins. I like them, they sound very similar to the Crystals and Spinfit W1. Tuning-wise I would say they fit in between those two, not as laid-back as the Crystals but smoother than the W1 for sure. The Crystals are still my favorite of the bunch. Still I think nothing beats the Epros tuning-wise in my collection. I will keep listening to the Comply T400 for a while now, I feel like they can be a good alternative to the Epros, they do some stuff better with the OG Timeless (just the way they let fine details flow in a very natural way). Might try a TWS version soon enough.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #3,379 of 3,421
So, I got the Azla Crystal for TWS for my Fairbuds and it turns out that the stems are too short, which results in the earbud more or less going into the tip. The feel of the silicone is a lot nicer than the Comply foam I used before, so I'm now looking into other options.

The nozzle is 6.5 x 5 mm, which is not ideal and rules out the ideal looking Spinfit Omni, and ideally the stem would be max 7mm to fit into my case. Is there a tip that would suit my needs size-wise? Or would I be better off just getting the Tri Clarion, 'normal' Azlas, Final E or Spinfit W1 and then remove the tips when I need to charge the earbuds?

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #3,380 of 3,421
While I'm new to the IEM game with the Hype4's (love them still), I tried swapping the tips out between Azla Earfit max and Eletech Baroque. The stock silicone tips on the Hype4 are generally fine, but the small ones were a tad too small and the medium ones were just a hair too large. I got the Eletech medium size to try based on my fit experience with the Azleas and found them to be a perfect fit compared to the Azleas which were more comfortable than stock but still found myself between sizes in them.

Soundwise, I do like the Eletechs a lot more. It's very balanced and sounds very energetic and clear compared to the Azleas which sounded a little boomy which I can only attribute to the wax guard being a physical veil between the ear and nozzle. I will keep the Azleas as backups if I ever need them or get a treble heavy IEM in the future, but anyone looking for a good tip replacement for the Hype4 I can toss my vote to the Eletech Baroque

May 28, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #3,381 of 3,421
Ha. Yeah. All too familiar. The Comply tips work fantastically with the unvented Symphonium Meteor. Buuuut... the day before I left home for my summer travels, I was getting a great seal with my Divinus Velvets, so I started thinking, "Maybe I just didn't give these a proper chance." So I left the Comply tips at home and packed up the Velvets instead. You can probably guess how that turned out. So, yeah, for the past two weeks, it's been a maddening exercise in perfectly balancing them in my ears to get a passable seal. Now I'm stuck with just these tips with the Meteor for six more weeks. Ugh.

Thankfully I packed a couple other IEMs, but it doesn't prevent me from futilely trying to get a good seal with the Meteor + Velvets!
Have you tried the Comply T-500s?If you have, how do they fit vs silicone tips ( ie same size or use a size smaller/larger)? I can’t seem to find foam tips that stay in my ear for more than a few minutes, the exception being Symbio W which are a foam/silicone hybrid. I am thinking of trying the T-500s out, as they look longer than most foam tips, which I am hoping will result in them staying in my ear longer.

May 28, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #3,382 of 3,421
Soundwise, I do like the Eletechs a lot more. It's very balanced and sounds very energetic and clear compared to the Azleas which sounded a little boomy which I can only attribute to the wax guard being a physical veil between the ear and nozzle.

The boominess is because you got a better seal with the AZLAs. Give it time to your ears to adjust, and it will go away.

On the same note, try to notice if the Baroques can sustain the bass levels in the long run. If they don't, that means that the seal is softening -- e.g.: your ears may be spitting out the eartips. If they do, then congrats because you've gotten good ears and no longer need to spend :moneybag: in fancy eartips. :smile:

The key to the eartips game is getting the best seal as possible for a given IEM. Then, followed by comfort, i.e., for how long this seal can be sustained.

May 29, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #3,383 of 3,421
Have you tried the Comply T-500s?If you have, how do they fit vs silicone tips ( ie same size or use a size smaller/larger)? I can’t seem to find foam tips that stay in my ear for more than a few minutes, the exception being Symbio W which are a foam/silicone hybrid. I am thinking of trying the T-500s out, as they look longer than most foam tips, which I am hoping will result in them staying in my ear longer.
Yup. They were the magic bullet for an especially tricky set of IEMs. Like you, I was skeptical of trying more foams because all the foams I had tried before were all too small for my ears. I obviously can't promise they'll fit you like they do me, but the Comply 500s were the solution for me to a very extensive and challenging search.

May 29, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #3,384 of 3,421
Yup. They were the magic bullet for an especially tricky set of IEMs. Like you, I was skeptical of trying more foams because all the foams I had tried before were all too small for my ears. I obviously can't promise they'll fit you like they do me, but the Comply 500s were the solution for me to a very extensive and challenging search.
Thank you! I just ordered the variety-sized pack and am hoping for similar success. I really appreciate your input.

May 29, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #3,385 of 3,421
I thought the nozzle width was the only difference with all the Comply models - eg T500 being wider than T400. Am I wrong? It's a shame they provide so little information on their website.

May 29, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #3,386 of 3,421
Comparing apples to oranges but the Dekoni Bulletz TWS sound really nice coming from the regular Comply T400. I liked the laid-back sound of the Comply by I must say the Dekoni sound more neutral on my OG Timeless. Less muffled top end and cleaner bass. At this point I think I'm not coming back to silicones, they sound just as good as my favorites (Epros) with an overall fuller/smoother sound. Timbre is very impressive on the Dekonis, it makes those planars shine as they should.

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #3,387 of 3,421
The key to the eartips game is getting the best seal as possible for a given IEM. Then, followed by comfort, i.e., for how long this seal can be sustained.
Totally. I envy people who get to choose their ear tips solely based on how they sound. For the rest of us, the order of priority in choosing a tip is 1) getting a good seal, 2) keeping a good seal, 3) comfort, then 4) sound quality.

Across all of my IEMs, I have never gotten to 4.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #3,388 of 3,421
So, I'm fully convinced now, tip rolling makes quite the difference 😅
Wasn't sure before I tried it, as many accessories in HiFi is supported to make a big difference, but for me they rarely do.

Tip rolling is different, though!
I bought 4 different ones, with the help of some of you guys in this thread, to try out different tips and hear/see/feel how they are to me.
My test IEM, the Mega5EST, finally arrived today, and I've spend about en hour quickly going through the tips I got. Some was rules out pretty quickly, while others are going to be tested more 😁

The best:
Clarion TRI & Divinus Velvet. Both fit my ears very well and I get a great seal. Time will tell if one of the sets sticks better to my ears. TRI is currently the best, as the wider bore sounds great on this IEM, and they are super easy to install/remove 👍

The usable one:
The stock tips. They fit nicely but not quite as well as the TRI and Velvet. Also the smaller bore takes something away from the sound, which overall makes the IEM sound a bit worse, actually quite a bit worse on the small bore option.

The non-usable:
Dunu S&S and Render (Z) tips.
Dunu is just way too sticky and I can't get a seal at all. Tried all 3 sizes and none of them came close to working out for me.
Same goes for the Render tips. Not sure if I broke them, but it looks like the outer plastic is coming lose from the foam underneath. But they were way to stiff for me to get into my ears properly, so could not get a good seal.

Looking forward to continuing testing the tips over the coming weeks. I appreciate all the input I got earlier 🙏
PXL_20240529_125636595.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,389 of 3,421
I bought 4 different ones, ...

Congrats and welcome to the "dark side".
giphy.gif

Not sure if I broke them, but it looks like the outer plastic is coming lose from the foam underneath.

Yep, that's a known issue. This even happens with the more expensive Symbio W ones. :sob:

May 30, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,390 of 3,421
Yep, that's a known issue. This even happens with the more expensive Symbio W ones. :sob:

Good to know 👍
Is this type of tip supposed to be stuffed into the ear (sorry, don't know how to explain it differently) and then expand a bit to create a seal? To me the foam is quite stiff, and I need to press it uncomfortably hard to get even close to a seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back