Best IEM tips?
May 13, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #3,316 of 3,379
In the end I always seem to use foam… probably because I am a little treble sensitive and I do like a little extra bass…I tried a lot of silicone though…
Comply foam is a waste of money IMHO. The TRN foam or even the Kz foam sound great and do not cost much. Also they have a good rebound unlike some other foams. Comfortable to…

Tennmak foam tips are very good, last better than others and cheap too!

May 13, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #3,317 of 3,379
Seems that new wide bore Divinus Velvet tips are coming quite soon :metal: :

38e9eb7071dba6267b4eb602b4d755ef.png
78b4b9d306c718e6dfc56f72a6556b08.png

Would be an instabuy for me.
Instant buy for me also

May 13, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #3,318 of 3,379
Seems that new wide bore Divinus Velvet tips are coming quite soon :metal: :

Damn. Have 19 pairs of the OG version. :see_no_evil:

Need 19 more of the new WB version to maintain consistency. :smiling_imp:

But I would need to check the internal diameter first.

May 14, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #3,320 of 3,379
How does one determine which tips will be better on an IEM with a short nozzle vs. longer ones? (Millimeter math, obviously, but I was wondering if there was a case for using the "short" style of tips) And what measurements are considered long/short for IEM insertion? I get good seals with certain IEMs (Tangzu Wu Zetian Heyday, for example), and non-existent ones on others (7Hz Salnotes Zero, the first one). I had to slap Comply olives onto the Zeros (which was great, since the treble was cutting through my brain--it fixed them beautifully), but that doesn't work on the Moondrop Starfield, for example, as it turns them to mud. Many discussions involve silicon vs foam vs hybrid preferences, but I'd like some more info on depth, etc. Any charts out there?

May 14, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #3,321 of 3,379
I have a much simpler approach to that. Trial and error. In the meantime I have acquired so many different tips that it is sometimes even a little joy to tryout all sorts of tips with a particular IEM. Call me crazy, but i like it. :wink:
The most important denominator is fit. No good fit, no good sound. ...if that's out of the way, I look at different bore hole "anatomies" and just chose what sounds best to me. Without looking at numbers and sizes.

Latest live example: I just listen since about 2 hours to my brand nes NICEHCK Himalaya and as we speak, I am A/B'ing DUNU foam tips, which, surprisingly* to me, fit best and sound the best on this IEM... blown away by these 1DD's!
*I very rarely use foam tips, very!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #3,322 of 3,379
How does one determine which tips will be better on an IEM with a short nozzle vs. longer ones? (Millimeter math, obviously, but I was wondering if there was a case for using the "short" style of tips) And what measurements are considered long/short for IEM insertion? I get good seals with certain IEMs (Tangzu Wu Zetian Heyday, for example), and non-existent ones on others (7Hz Salnotes Zero, the first one). I had to slap Comply olives onto the Zeros (which was great, since the treble was cutting through my brain--it fixed them beautifully), but that doesn't work on the Moondrop Starfield, for example, as it turns them to mud. Many discussions involve silicon vs foam vs hybrid preferences, but I'd like some more info on depth, etc. Any charts out there?
Too many variables for this to be meaningful IMO. Lots of different nozzle dimensions. Lots of different tip shapes and materials. Lots of different ear canals. Nearly impossible to know in advance what will fit. No better approach than trying out a bunch of different tips with every IEM.

May 14, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #3,323 of 3,379

I agree with what the guys above have said, trial and error.

I have a couple of IEM with somewhat short nozzles and due to subtle differences in fit tips that seal great on one are not quite good enough on the other.

I do think that as a very basic guide short nozzles and resulting shallow insertion depths mean that wider tips with more of a dome shape will be needed than for longer nozzles and deeper insertion where smaller diameter and more cone shaped tips will generally work well or better. For example Divinus Velvets or Azla Crystals for shallow fit and perhaps Spin Fit CP100 for deeper fit IEM.

However, the secret is in the subtleties of your ear anatomy, IEM nozzle length, general IEM body shape which will effect insertion depth to some extent, tip length and tip shape not just diameter (is it domed or more cone shaped) and only trial and error will tell you what is best. I have bought tips that others have recommended for certain IEM that were utterly useless for me.

Edited to make correction in bold above.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #3,324 of 3,379
the secret is in the subtleties of your ear anatomy, IEM nozzle length, general IEM body shape which will effect insertion depth to some extent, tip length and tip shape not just diameter (is it domed or more cone shaped) and only trial and error will tell you what is best. I have bought tips that others have recommended for certain IEM that were utterly useless for me.
A thousand times this. Every tip works... until it doesn't.

May 15, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #3,325 of 3,379
I agree with what the guys above have said, trial and error.

I have a couple of IEM with somewhat short nozzles and due to subtle differences in fit tips that seal great on one are not quite good enough on the other.

I do think that as a very basic guide short nozzles and resulting shallow insertion depths mean that wider tips with more of a dome shape will be needed than for longer nozzles and deeper insertion where smaller diameter and more cone shaped tips will generally work well or better. For example Divinus Velvets or Azla Crystals for shallow fit and perhaps Spin Fit CP100 for shallow.

However, the secret is in the subtleties of your ear anatomy, IEM nozzle length, general IEM body shape which will effect insertion depth to some extent, tip length and tip shape not just diameter (is it domed or more cone shaped) and only trial and error will tell you what is best. I have bought tips that others have recommended for certain IEM that were utterly useless for me.
The truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off.

May 15, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #3,326 of 3,379
I second that. Tip rolling is mostly fun, but sometimes, with some IEMs, it can end up in a lot of "work" until you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just before I wrote that with the NiceHCK Himalaya (which can have fitting problems due to their design and additionally quite short stock nozzles), some foam eartips fit well with my anatomy. Yes, they do, I was happy initially... until I now tried the DUNU S&S (Stage & Studio) tips. Even better sealing now. Sound wise maybe a tad bit brighter than the foam tips, but still amazing.

May 15, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #3,327 of 3,379

Bloody annoying when you think you have tips for a troublesome IEM finally sussed and order half a dozen pairs of your new favourites so you have spares on hand only to find they weren’t quite so good a few days later.

May 15, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #3,328 of 3,379
I second that. Tip rolling is mostly fun, but sometimes, with some IEMs, it can end up in a lot of "work" until you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just before I wrote that with the NiceHCK Himalaya (which can have fitting problems due to their design and additionally quite short stock nozzles), some foam eartips fit well with my anatomy. Yes, they do, I was happy initially... until I now tried the DUNU S&S (Stage & Studio) tips. Even better sealing now. Sound wise maybe a tad bit brighter than the foam tips, but still amazing.

Not criticising you in any way but that is a perfect example of recommendations not working for others.

I bought a few sets of S&S in two sizes based on the good comments from users but they are useless for me. I can’t properly insert any IEM with them on. The soft material and blunt square shape results in them just folding back and collapsing of a fashion before being inserted enough to seal properly.

May 15, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #3,329 of 3,379
Not criticising you in any way but that is a perfect example of recommendations not working for others.

I bought a few sets of S&S in two sizes based on the good comments from users but they are useless for me. I can’t properly insert any IEM with them on. The soft material and blunt square shape results in them just folding back and collapsing of a fashion before being inserted enough to seal properly.
What sizes did you try? It also depends on IEMs as I couldn't really use S&S on HEXA.

May 15, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #3,330 of 3,379
Reality check says: Way too many variables to speak out recommendations and therefore also somewhat useless to ask for them in the first place.
You have to know how use this thread actually. I's a collection of individual opinions and experiences displaying nearly all sorts of available IEM tips.
Read with interest, don't take anything at face value, learn what's available, order and try yourself.

That this involves quite some bad buys and a bit of wasted money is apparent, BUT if you take this route and you find your perfect tips for a particular IEM, you will note with great satisfaction that now the fun begins.... because there's nothing worse than badly fitting IEM's, and that would be the "crown" of wasting money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back