Best IEM tips?
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,825 of 3,319
I've always wanted to get custom molded iem tips. Wonder how that works.
Look for a company who makes tips that look appealing to you (ADV for example). If they have a 3d model of your IEM on hand, you place the order, send them an impression of your ears (audiologist or DIY) after confirming the impressions are viable, wait, get them in the mail and hope they fit well the first time.

If they don't have a model of your IEM, you send yours in so they can scan it.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #2,826 of 3,319
How does everyone feel about Spinfits?
I have a large-ish eartip collection and I think they're decent tips, but not great.They do fit well but with most Spinfit models I find them to dull the details a bit so they're not my first choice. Of course, to my ears.
Meh. They are servicable, but Tanchjim APBs, Divinius Velvets, and Azla lights and max exist. I also find spinfits are uncomfortable when the edge of the silicone digs into my ear canal, and the retention isn't very good, so they come off the IEM in my ears sometimes.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #2,827 of 3,319
Meh. They are servicable, but Tanchjim APBs, Divinius Velvets, and Azla lights and max exist. I also find spinfits are uncomfortable when the edge of the silicone digs into my ear canal, and the retention isn't very good, so they come off the IEM in my ears sometimes.
I agree, I think Spinfits are so popular just because they are so ubiquitous being sold everywhere.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #2,828 of 3,319
So I've been interested in getting the Pentaconn COREIR eartips for awhile, but I've been seeing a lot of fitment issues, and considering it's 50 USD pricetag, I put it on hold for now. Then I stumbled upon these metal coil thingies in my drawer and came up with this idea.
1701892009224.jpg
A word of caution: before trying this, there's a possibility of the metal tube damaging the mesh on the nozzle or slipping out of the eartips. I'm not liable for your injury or damage to your property.
1701892009225.jpg
It's a very simple procedure. I just placed the metal tube thingy inside the stem of the eartips. Finding eartips that will fit is easy for me because I have a lot of stock tips lying around that I don't mind experimenting on.
1701892009222.jpg
The first thing I noticed an overall improvement in sense of separation and detail, especially the bass response, while using these with my IEMs.The bass is more punchy, with enhanced texture and feel, while the mids and highs are clear and detailed. But it decreases the soundstage quite a bit, making it sound more intimate. The metal core really helps deliver detailed and holographic sound at the expense of soundstage. Not bad for a DIY experiment.
No worries about metal thread insert dislodging and ending up inside the ear?:fearful:

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #2,829 of 3,319
No worries about metal thread insert dislodging and ending up inside the ear?:fearful:
I'm using it very carefully, tbh I only tried doing this to see if it's worth getting the coreir eartips. And I'm very satisfied with the results that I ended up ordering it. I just don't want to blindly buy something that expensive and regretting it later.

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #2,830 of 3,319
I'm using it very carefully, tbh I only tried doing this to see if it's worth getting the coreir eartips. And I'm very satisfied with the results that I ended up ordering it. I just don't want to blindly buy something that expensive and regretting it later.
What did you notice, soundwise?

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,831 of 3,319
The BEST IEM Tips I ever had. Great SQ

XWB-4.jpg

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #2,833 of 3,319
Want to order a 5-pair pack of the KBear 07 but I don't know whether to get M+ (12.8mm) or L (13.7). Do they run large/small?

My current tips are the Sedna Max and Xelastec, both of which are ML, 13.3mm, so right in the middle of the KBear...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #2,834 of 3,319
Want to order a 5-pair pack of the KBear 07 but I don't know whether to get M (12.8mm) or L (13.7). Do they run large/small?

My current tips are the Sedna Max and Xelastec, both of which are ML, 13.3mm, so right in the middle of the Kbear...

I find that contour, length, softness and thickness of the silicon also affects fit. The KBEAR 07 come in 5 sizes. Buy a mixed pack and check. Longer stem IEM may take a smaller size for a deep fit. The ones that don't fit are still handy for other people you let listen to your preciouses!:L3000:

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2,835 of 3,319
Are the KBear on the soft side or stiff side? Personally I find the Azla Sedna Max to be somewhat firm yet very supple. They are slightly short, though, perhaps making a larger size easier to fit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back