Best IEM tips?
Mar 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #151 of 3,241
How you like the Shure blk olive ? ... and yellow foam ? Sony (hybrid/mod) ? Have never tried/test the Comply tips. Do I miss something better?

the shure olives fall in the same group as the comply as goes for the fellow foam i havent found a foam tip that hasnt messed with the sound signature and sound frequency. the one think about the shure olives is they can become VERY hard to get off your ear piece like to the point where you have to danage them to get them off. i have ran into that issue. its pretty crazy.

my favorite tip is the westone star or the proguardz throse two are really great.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #152 of 3,241
the shure olives fall in the same group as the comply as goes for the fellow foam i havent found a foam tip that hasnt messed with the sound signature and sound frequency. the one think about the shure olives is they can become VERY hard to get off your ear piece like to the point where you have to danage them to get them off. i have ran into that issue. its pretty crazy.

my favorite tip is the westone star or the proguardz throse two are really great.

I guess it largely depends on the IEM though. They're a huge pain to get off the Shure's, but slide off the SM64 pretty easily, as if they were made for them. They need to be stretched to fit the S-EM6, but once on are quite easy to get off.

Apparently putting them in a Zip-Loc bag and then in to the freezer for half an hour goes a long way in allowing you to remove stubborn Shure olives. :)

It's funny you mention a change in sound with foam. To me, silicon taints the sound to a horrible extent. It's all a matter of perspective though, I suppose-very subjective. I equalize for a flat response (then adjust to my taste) for all my headphones, and I find that the silicon tips (that I own) always need more tinkering, while also destroying dynamics etc.. I personally haven't found a good silicon tip yet, but I'm still searching. I'm hoping the Progaurdz will sway me a litte towards silicon, as i would rather the tip longevity.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #153 of 3,241
Gotta give my vote to the Westone Star Tips. They're provide the bass rivalling Shure olives and Westone Comply Tips without the change in sound signature, or the hassle of having to squeeze before insertion, or even the added hassle and cost of replacing them every few weeks / months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #154 of 3,241
I guess it largely depends on the IEM though. They're a huge pain to get off the Shure's, but slide off the SM64 pretty easily, as if they were made for them. They need to be stretched to fit the S-EM6, but once on are quite easy to get off.

Apparently putting them in a Zip-Loc bag and then in to the freezer for half an hour goes a long way in allowing you to remove stubborn Shure olives.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's funny you mention a change in sound with foam. To me, silicon taints the sound to a horrible extent. It's all a matter of perspective though, I suppose-very subjective. I equalize for a flat response (then adjust to my taste) for all my headphones, and I find that the silicon tips (that I own) always need more tinkering, while also destroying dynamics etc.. I personally haven't found a good silicon tip yet, but I'm still searching. I'm hoping the Progaurdz will sway me a litte towards silicon, as i would rather the tip longevity.

i love the proguardz they are my #1  Alot of people either love them or hate them more than the comply lol or they havent headrd of them at all. i find them to be excellent
Gotta give my vote to the Westone Star Tips. They're provide the bass rivalling Shure olives and Westone Comply Tips without the change in sound signature, or the hassle of having to squeeze before insertion, or even the added hassle and cost of replacing them every few weeks / months.

i find the star tips on my w4r and my um3xrc to be extremely comfortable i tried the shure rubber tips with them and i like them, however with the star tips you dont notice them so much so in your ear as much as the shures, the shures seem to build pressure where the stars dont.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #155 of 3,241
i love the proguardz they are my #1  Alot of people either love them or hate them more than the comply lol or they havent headrd of them at all. i find them to be excellent
i find the star tips on my w4r and my um3xrc to be extremely comfortable i tried the shure rubber tips with them and i like them, however with the star tips you dont notice them so much so in your ear as much as the shures, the shures seem to build pressure where the stars dont.

I hadn't heard of the Proguardz until I saw a couple of people give them praise in this thread. They look like they will give good insertion depth and multiple seals (something I don't find bi and tri flange to do too well) Seem to merge the qualities of foam/rubber but in silicone, so I'm looking forward to them. Just a shame about the wait-they're coming from the UK via snail mail. :frowning2:

Do you know of anywhere in Aus that sells them?

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #161 of 3,241
  Oh :frowning2:

What can I look at that isn't the Comply or Sony tips then? I need to order something I have an addiction 
etysmile.gif

Yes, you need to try the Spinfits . . . .   

If any of you guys want to try various tips, just PM me because I live a few hundred meters from a shop that has aisles full of various tips, most in single pairs, and I`m happy to supply them.
I always recommend the Spinfits - these Japanese ones, not the Muse/Jaben colorful ones.  Also really good are the Fitear double flanges.  And ATH makes a tip that, for me, worked the best out of all of them when I had the SE846: the `Finefit`.    And remember, there are several simple mods that allow the smaller-diameter nozzles of Westione and Shure to hold the larger-bore tips.  The mods involve tape, or heat-shrink, or re-purposing the cores from comply foamies . . .   I really wish I had access to Spinfits back when I owned the SE846, because that must be a match made in heaven . . . .

d

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #162 of 3,241

Sorry, by "change in sound signature", I actually meant that olives and comply tips muffle the sound (in my experience, at least).

The sound that Westone Star tips brings is as clinical as the silicone that they're made of.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #163 of 3,241

You mean removing tips from the noozle ? Before installing, I take good habit to put some skin grease around the nozzle. Am using often the "Oto-ease" or "INSERpro" to! Easier to remove later without any damage, alway in a twisting pullout motion! :wink: What color (size) Start tips ur using ? blk - red ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back