Best home studio monitor headphones around 150$?
Dec 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #46 of 101
Quote:
You really have to be honest with yourself. Are you going for looks/what's cool, or are you REALLY trying to do professional monitoring? The KNS 8400s are at the top of their class in that price range for monitoring. Not for overall pleasure listening. KRS makes very high quality professional gear, not gear for people who want to enjoy tunes on an iPod. Further, there is a reason most studios use Sonys MDR series.
I wouldn't even consider the AT M50s for monitoring if that's a model you are interested in.

This is a good post, for example the Shures are pretty accurate and neutral but they are quite boring to listen to although I am sure they are excellent for studio monitoring as they have very good detail.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #47 of 101
Quote:

I think you can though really because the M50's are actually not that good value for money since they have become so hyped up so has the price, IMO they don't even sound that good especially for £130... They have boomy bass with little texture, metallic spitty treble, hollow sounding midrange, not much soundstage, very closed sounding etc. Overall really not that great IMO. Can get better for less money.

Completely agree! The M50s are so far from neutral that they would be useless for monitoring. I really think AT has begun marketing these more towards the casual listener anyway (hence the white colored models) rather than the pro-audio people because they really have no qualities that would make them worth using in the studio, especially given their price. A pro DJ may find them useful with the swiveling cup, but other than that, I would never recommend these to anyone doing monitoring. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #48 of 101
Quote:

Completely agree! The M50s are so far from neutral that they would be useless for monitoring. I really think AT has begun marketing these more towards the casual listener anyway (hence the white colored models) rather than the pro-audio people because they really have no qualities that would make them worth using in the studio, especially given their price. A pro DJ may find them useful with the swiveling cup, but other than that, I would never recommend these to anyone doing monitoring. 

I keep hearing this ALOT so I'll just have to push the M50s out of my mind. Thanks to everyone who said this to me, because if I wouldn't go and make this thread, I would buy the M50s (or maybe K271 MKII).
And btw, I still didn't heard anything about the M-Audio Q40 and the AKG K271 MKII. Aren't they atleast that popular or good to be worth a mention?

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #49 of 101
Quote:
You really have to be honest with yourself. Are you going for looks/what's cool, or are you REALLY trying to do professional monitoring? The KNS 8400s are at the top of their class in that price range for monitoring. Not for overall pleasure listening. KRS makes very high quality professional gear, not gear for people who want to enjoy tunes on an iPod. Further, there is a reason most studios use Sonys MDR series.
I wouldn't even consider the AT M50s for monitoring if that's a model you are interested in.

So would the KNS8400s be better than the SRH840?

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #50 of 101
And about the KRK KNS8400, I'll be using them (or some other headphones that I'll buy) right now only on my laptops headphone jack, so will that be enough to drive them?

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 101
8400...840...271...all can easily be driven from laptop.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #52 of 101

[size=1.7em]
darthsmile.gif
[/size]

Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 380

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #53 of 101
The KRK is more thin sounding than the 271 n 840..840 being the most full bodied.
840 bores me and is not comfy. The cups of the krk is slightly smaller.
Between 840 and k271... I would go for 271.
It's lighter, has tall big soundstage, neutral sounding...inexpensive...hardy..
And has a pro studio look...wat u see people wearing on tv...lol.
Just my view n taste.:wink:

http://soundtechuk.blogspot.sg/2012/09/akg-k271-mkii-headphones-win-guitarist.html?m=1

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #54 of 101
The Q40 are pretty good... monster bass which can go as low as you can hear, nice midrange and smooth treble.

You might want to get some new pads for them as well because the stock ones are not great.

For purely monitoring I would say the Shures are the best, for music pleasure maybe not.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #55 of 101
Quote:
The Q40 are pretty good... monster bass which can go as low as you can hear, nice midrange and smooth treble.

You might want to get some new pads for them as well because the stock ones are not great.

For purely monitoring I would say the Shures are the best, for music pleasure maybe not.

Well I need them for monitoring, so are the Shures better that the KRK KNS8400?

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #56 of 101
I don't want to sound like a dick but i get the feeling you want a decent sounding pair of headphones that will look good enough beside a pair of Beats. Honestly and truly the Shures are the best (imo) set of headphones inyour price range for monitoring. The KRK's are close behind them but I personally didn't really like them that much. But if all you want is something that looks good most purpose built won't satisfy your needs. BTW, the 271mkii's are excellent sounding headphones but probably to bass shy for you unless you get a pair of reference headphones that are bass heavy (i.e. DT770 or MDR-V6/7506.)

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #57 of 101
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a dick but i get the feeling you want a decent sounding pair of headphones that will look good enough beside a pair of Beats. Honestly and truly the Shures are the best (imo) set of headphones inyour price range for monitoring. The KRK's are close behind them but I personally didn't really like them that much. But if all you want is something that looks good most purpose built won't satisfy your needs. BTW, the 271mkii's are excellent sounding headphones but probably to bass shy for you unless you get a pair of reference headphones that are bass heavy (i.e. DT770 or MDR-V6/7506.)

Ok, I hate myself for saying that I want them to look good (I guess that's what I get when I'm trying to buy professional monitoring headphones at 14...). I hate Beats. The things that truly bug me on the SRH840 is the comfort (people say that they are heavy and the cable is heavy and that they aren't suitable for long session, but I'll be using them for long sessions, that's why it would be a problem). Another thing are those little thin cables that are exposed behind the earcups. What's the point of having the option to replace the cable if it breaks, when the little cables can break much easily? That's all. And would it REALLY help my monitoring if I would get some more money for the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO? If yes, which impedance when I'll be using them from my laptops jack?
I'm sorry for sounding like a moron.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #59 of 101
Quote:

Try out some used K-240MKll, maybe you can even get them used around $100. The 240MKll, have more bass compare to the 271MKll.

I can get them new for 110€ (145$), but those are open, aren't they? Are there any pros or cons of using them against closed? I like that closed ones isolate, because when I produce, I wanna be in my own world and not listen to some stupid yelling in my house.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #60 of 101
Quote:
I can get them new for 110€ (145$), but those are open, aren't they? Are there any pros or cons of using them against closed? I like that closed ones isolate, because when I produce, I wanna be in my own world and not listen to some stupid yelling in my house.

I'd say you should just start small (eg. in your current price range), because if you get the dt-880 you would possibly want an amp too. Else, if you are supposed to use without an amp, you might want to get the 80 ohm version. I have heard bad things about the 32 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back