Best headphones under 100$ for hard rock and metal?
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sbaker5

New Head-Fier
After years of crappy headphones I think it is time I got something better, they will be ran off my computers sound card (reaktek HD audio) and mostly used for rock, metal and gaming. I know about the grados but people say they are extremely uncomfortable and after using my logitech headphones which sound bad and  hurt the top of my head I want something that does not hurt after using them for 10 minutes. I have a medium sized head which also might be a problem. Closed or open does not matter, closed might be a little better just to block out the TV in the next room but I really don't care, All I care about is they sound good for rock, metal and don't hurt my head.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Try to find an open box AKG k240 Studio for $80 or a new one for $99. Best deal ever for such a good headphone. If you ever get an amp later (not sure if you have one) then these would benefit from them. If you can get them for $70-$80 you could buy an E5 amp for $20also  and be set for quite awhile.

They're also very comfortable. Zero clamping force and are light. They even have a decent amount of bass, even more than my k601!

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Never tried the 240s, but they get respect around here so they should be fine :D

Consider the ath m50s as well.

By the way, when I wore grados, my main comfort issue was with the itchiness and the heat on my ears. The headphones are actually very light and have little clamping force and shouldn't hurt the top of your head.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 11
I have the heavier Grado SR325i's and I can really barely feel any pressure on the top of my head. The ear cushions are not the most comfy but not anything I would call uncomfortable.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 11
i can also vouch for the sr80 being a great headphone for rock. real good bass. i would also recommend an amp. any will do fine, even a ~$20 one. i used my friends ~$5 amp for the first time and the sound improved significally. i almost cried.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 11
i don't find them uncomfortable at all, they are very lightweight and the cushions feel pretty good. especially on cold, winter days. they act as earmuffs. 
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 11
I own the Alessandro MS-1. Cost me $100 and absolutely killer for metal/rock. They go loud and hard and don't fatigue the ears with harsh highs.
Same design as Grados and I don't find them uncomfortable at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back