Best Headphones for under $200
Jan 22, 2011 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dunelly

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought some sennehiser hd 380 for about 120$ from guitar center, price matched some store i found on google. Anyways long story short, im not "wowed" with the sound.Vocals for some of the songs are kind of bland, its clear but some songs get muddy in the low end. In the past ive owned some IEMS. My latest one was the shure e3's and after 5 years they served me well. I would like closed cans, cause i go to school and don't want to bother people, isolation would be nice.(the iso in the hd380's is very nice must say). Anyways, with this senn's im not exactly happy with them but is there any other choice? Here are the ones that i saw in my price range:

Shure srh 840 - i hear theres good sound but its uncomfortable. I held them once, they were by far one of of the noticeably heaviest cans ive held.

Audio technica ath m50's - ive read reviews, honestly don't know what to think of them.

akg k240s acoustic semi open cans - i hear they're bad but i mean they're around the same price as the senn hd380's i bought so, i dont know if itd be worth spending my money.

beyerdynamic dt 770 - clueless.

Anyways, the phones will be unamped, connected to my laptop or mp3 player. I am a person of nice treble good mids; i would like the bass to be there and noticeable but not overpowering.(a nice soundstage would be nice...i guess but since its closed to be honest, idk if there would be any). I would also like to phones to be lightweight/comfy since i will be using them for quite a few hours per day.

The music i listen to can tend to be all over diff genre's cept country. Some days I'll listen to pink floyd, zeppelin classic rock, some days rock(not heavy metal) but audioslave, rhcp, etc, and others ill listen to something like Ray Lamontange or Rachael Yamagata. Throw in bit of mashups and electronica. So, ive tried to do my research but come up with no obvious choice. Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 11
If you could handle open headphones, Grado/Alessandro

otherwise M50's
DT770 are a little bit better on my opinion (but just a little bit), but for school usage, they're just not handy

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 11
I went ahead and returned the senn hd380's. Picked up the "new" m50's with the white and light blue top. I didnt see the old pair, which im told that has the better bass response but. I like the bass in these as it is, not overpowering at all. I let'm burn in with the pink and white noise for about 4 hours and the warmness in the vocals showed through. So far, i like them better than the hd380's. Not as comfortable as the 380's. They clamp alittle more, and the pads arent as big so it sits different which feels odd, ill prolly get used to it?

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 11
congrats, enjoy them

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 11
One question, the cable was quite long on them as any other cable...i was wondering if this is safe to do. I know the bends might internally break a cable but....

safe? or just keep it coiled up like how it came?

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
One question, the cable was quite long on them as any other cable...i was wondering if this is safe to do. I know the bends might internally break a cable but....

safe? or just keep it coiled up like how it came?

I'm not totally sure how safe that is for the cable, but that actually looks pretty cool. That being said, it seems like it might bend the cables a bit much

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 11
grado 225I done.

ive heard the m50 my friend has them... no comparision grado smokes them in every way. maybe except  for the m50 bloated excessive bass.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 11
ive read the "new" white box, light blue top m50's are more balanced than the old ones(dark blue box). I don't feel like its bloated with bass at all and i ttested for all different kinds of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back