Best headphones for Jazz and Cymbals???
Jan 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 43
I still think you'd be wasting money on an amp that would be better spent on better headphones.

Not that you don't need an amp - just that my experience is that spending more on an amp than your headphones is ludicrous.  I've spent hours comparing my uDAC against a Beyerdynamic T1 available at the local hi-fi shop, and when A/B'ing them I honestly can't hear any differences that I can consistently identify between them.  Different headphones - like the K701, DT 880, T1, HD 600, and HD 800, are immediately apparent as being different.

I've spent quite some time comparing the HD 600, DT 880, and K701.

The K701 and DT 880 definitely have more "sparkle" on the high end than the HD 600 - I do think cymbals sound better, if only because they're slightly louder.  However, nearly everything else - especially horns, saxophone, and electric guitars - sound so much better (more textured, vibrant, and live sounding) on the HD 600.  The HD 600 has significantly more bass, although it's not nearly as tight as the K701 or (more so) the DT 880.  I'm not sure if that's just because it's easier for those two to control the lower levels or not, but in the vast majority of cases I prefer the HD 600's balance.  The tightness isn't that big of a difference compared to the balance.

The soundstage on all of them is very good.  I initially would say the K701 gives the most depth, followed by the DT 880 and then the HD 600.  I would put the DT 880 quite close to the K701, but once I got new ear pads for the HD 600, it brought them very, very close to the K701's performance.  The HD 600 really does benefit from its thick ear pads, and they wear down over time - making sound sources seem much closer than with new pads.  In the end, I'd say that while the K701 still has a slight advantage over the other two, it's not big.

While the other two are excellent headphones, I find them fatiguing to listen to for very long.  The HD 600 can go all day long and I rarely ever suffer from listening fatigue.  Between that and how awesome most instruments sound on the HD 600, it's my headphone of choice among the three.  I sold the DT 880 (albiet the 32 ohm; I've tested the 600 ohm as well) within a week of getting them.  If I had the money I would have kept them just for the different sound.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #22 of 43
Thank you very much for all the help, 

After all your comments, and reading reviews on Head-fi,  I've narrowed my decision to two options for my budget and needs, I will be making the order this weekend or early next week. This will be my first step into the world of quality audio. Just to let you know, my source will be my Macbook Pro, and the Apogee Duet sound card. 

AKG k701 ($350) and Schiit Valhalla ($350)

or 

Sennheiser HD 600 ($400) and Schiit Asgard ($250)

Any thoughts or comments between the two choices before I make the order?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
Quote:
The K702's are perfect candidates, they sound like real life. 

Yes, they do...sounds much more balanced compare to the DT-880, and a great upgrade over HD-600.

Well, I find the HD 600 to be an upgrade over both...  You guys seriously need to hear some better gear - or concerts - if you think the K701/K702 "sound like real life".  I don't even think the best headphones I've heard (HD 800 and T1) come anywhere close, nor do my speakers - which absolutely demolish those two headphones in every aspect.

What I've found is that the better gear I use, the further I realize hi-fi is from equaling a good live concert.  However, there's plenty of concerts/shows with horrible sound quality, where even basic reproduction sounds better (a Ben Folds concert in a "multipurpose room" - aka gym - comes to mind).  However, such a situation still benefits from better equipment...

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
Thank you very much for all the help, 

After all your comments, and reading reviews on Head-fi,  I've narrowed my decision to two options for my budget and needs, I will be making the order this weekend or early next week. This will be my first step into the world of quality audio. Just to let you know, my source will be my Macbook Pro, and the Apogee Duet sound card. 

AKG k701 ($350) and Schiit Valhalla ($350)

or 

Sennheiser HD 600 ($400) and Schiit Asgard ($250)

Any thoughts or comments between the two choices before I make the order?

Do you live in the U.S.? You can find the AKG K701s for around $260 easily on eBay, and the HD600 are like $300.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #26 of 43

Do you live in the U.S.? You can find the AKG K701s for around $260 easily on eBay, and the HD600 are like $300.

Yes, they are much cheaper on ebay?!? I got my headphone prices from Sweetwater.com. But are the headphones on ebay the real thing? How can they afford to be much cheaper? I had always done my shopping from sweetwater, thinking they were the most fair price. I can buy a second headphone or amp with the money I save!

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 43

Quote:

Yes, they are much cheaper on ebay?!? I got my headphone prices from Sweetwater.com. But are the headphones on ebay the real thing? How can they afford to be much cheaper? I had always done my shopping from sweetwater, thinking they were the most fair price. I can buy a second headphone or amp with the money I save!

Well, the HD 600s from RazorDogDeals on eBay should be the real thing, as others have gotten HD 650s from them, and they are an authorized dealer for Sennheiser products. The HD 600 from them is around $290 and shipping is less than 10 dollars. It's a bid format, but you should be able to be the only person bidding on a pair and win with the initial bid. The AKGs typically float around $260 on eBay, and they come in a sealed retail box, and I don't think I've ever heard about fake K701s.

I'm surprised you got quoted $400 for the HD600, as I was able to get a price of $320 for the HD 650 from other authorized dealers as well (J&R and Sonic Sense).

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #28 of 43
Ok after many many hours on headfi, reading and reading, and fantasizing, I've settled: AKG 702s (incase i want to upgrade to a new cable later) and schiit Valhalla tube amp. 

My set up will be:

itunes (apple lossless) > apogee duet> Schiit valhalla > k702s.

How does this sound to you guys? Any suggestions? Do I need a DAC or a cable anything else? 

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
Ok after many many hours on headfi, reading and reading, and fantasizing, I've settled: AKG 702s (incase i want to upgrade to a new cable later) and schiit Valhalla tube amp. 

My set up will be:

itunes (apple lossless) > apogee duet> Schiit valhalla > k702s.

How does this sound to you guys? Any suggestions? Do I need a DAC or a cable anything else? 

Maybe first you can take your time with the Duet and the K-702 . The Apogee's and the 702s are one of the best combination around...the Duet and the mini DAC they both have a great hps amp, and they can go as balanced configuration.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 43
That still sounds like a total waste of money to me.

Why not consider the HE-5?  From every review I've read, it's like a K701/K702 on steroids - better in every aspect of sound quality.  I know some consider it to be a big upgrade; the next logical step up for K701 owners - comparable with the Sennheiser HD 800.  And no amp is going to make the K701/2 surpass an adequately amp'ed HE-5.

Like I said, there's an HE-5 + amp combo for sale right now here on Head-Fi (I have no connection to the seller), within your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back