Best Headphones for Fostex Hp-P1
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Godwyn

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Fostex HP-P1, it sounds amazing. I want to buy a new pair of headphones, more or less portable, to join the best quality sound. Now I have a pair of Re0 and i like very much its sound signature, but they need a little bit more bass.
I listen most of all Classical Music, Pop, Jazz, Blues and Folk. Some Rock, but not Hard Rock.

Many advices? My budget is 300-350$ maximum.

Thanks! :)

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 20
If you are looking for fullsize portable headphones then DT1350, V_Moda M80, Pro900, ES10, Z1000 are recommended and IEMs like Sony EX1000, GR10, EQ7, IE80, FX700, RE272(basslight compared to others), HF5(basslight compared to others)are very detailed yet offers good bass response.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 20
Actually about the M-80, I beg to differ. I own the M-80 & used to own the HP-P1.

The M-80 benefits little from an external DAC/amp. Not to say that it doesn't make any difference but the difference IMHO is slight that it doesn't really need an external amp.

I found the DT1350 benefiting more from the HP-P1. Or in the case of my other headphone Ultrasone Ed8LE benefited from the HP-P1 too (but the Ed8 is beyond the quoted budget of the Op).

I found my former TF10 & current Unique Melody SE530x8 benefiting from the HP-P1.

i.e. the M-80 had the least night 'n day difference between amped & unamped.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 20
I think now it boils down to personal tastes. I listen to West Coast and Cool Jazz, Bossanova, classical (mainly strings though), up to current R&B, hip-hop and modern vocal jazz. A friend of mine has the P5 of which I listened to for an entire afternoon. Personally I found the P5 too dark for my tastes. My Ed8's are the extreme end where it's quite bright.

The P5 has a great bass (esp amped!!) but the treble lacked the detailed sparkles I'd like to hear in especially my jazz.

If you get the chance, and if you're looking for headphones for the HP-P1, then say take a look at the DT1350, HD25's, etc for the price range you're looking at. the M-80 wouldn't give make your HP-P1 sparkle 'cos it's good enough un-amped. If your budget goes up higher, then at least from my tests, the Ed8, high end Custom IEM (UERM, UM series), etc. would also bring out more in your HP-P1.

May 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 20
Hey Godwyn,

Not sure if your still looking for the perfect cans to pair with the HP-P1 I use the Grado PS500s that I love, I would give the 325s a listen to see what you think of them. Otherwise you could look at something like the new AKG K550s.

Cya,

Bryan

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 20
I am looking for some headphones for my Fostex hp_p1.

Currently using the super ATH-ESW9, wanting more.

Considering the 80ohms DT-1350, but wondering If there are any other top end portable cans, or full sized cans that could be called used as portable ie:not gigantic.

isolation a plus, sealed with no leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back