Best headphones for folk in the $200 range.
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
I'm looking for headphones that sound really crisp, really sharp - sound that compliments folk and bluegrass very well. I have some headphones to compliment other genres well, but nothing for folk. Some alternative rock and things of that nature also would probably be suitable, depending on where you place bands like Marcy Playground and Cake. Either way, the headphones I already own are the V-Moda M80, Creative Aurvana Live!, Audio-Technica AD700, Phillips Stretch and the Oldskool 33 1/3. As far as earbuds go, I have the Brainwavs Beta, Brainwavs M4, and the Ultimate Ears TripleFi.

I'm looking for headphones, not earbuds - was just listing some of the earbuds I own and like. Some bands I'll be listening to include Larry and His Flask, Cake, Dr. Dog, Anais Mitchell, Ani DiFranco, Grouplove, Craig Finn, The Dear Hunter and a ton of others. Anyway - I don't need heavy base, I'm looking for something crisp, sharp .. clear and potentially neutral? Two sets of headphones I've really been eyeing as "to get" are the Brainwavs HM5 (FA-003) and the Grado SRI225.

Thoughts?

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 9
The KRK KNS-8400 comes to mind, they have a flat response and the right amount of bass. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 9
Just picked up a pair of Hifiman HE300 used for under $200. I recommend them highly, but they are not neutral. Definitely a bit warm, but not at all bass heavy or punchy like the Grado's tend to be.

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Give the SRH940s a serious look.  If you want sharp, I don't think it gets much sharper than those...

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Just picked up a pair of Hifiman HE300 used for under $200. I recommend them highly, but they are not neutral. Definitely a bit warm, but not at all bass heavy or punchy like the Grado's tend to be.

Since when are Grado's bass heavy? Or are you just saying they're punchy? I think punchy works really well for folk, actually. Again, so long as it's actually separate from the bass. 

EDIT: I've been wanting to get a HiFiMan set. But I've never really heard the 300 being talked about before. Are they really worth it? Or should I simply wait and get the 400 with the planar tech, etc.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 9
x2 on the 940....it brings out the twannngggg on the guitar strings...if thats what u crave in bluegrass.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
x2 on the 940....it brings out the twannngggg on the guitar strings...if thats what u crave in bluegrass.

I've just never heard much praise from folks on Shure's full-size headphones. It's all about their IEMs. The only IEMs I've ever used from them are the S4 and I hated them. I'm just worried that the lack of knowledge of those will come back to bite me

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I've just never heard much praise from folks on Shure's full-size headphones. It's all about their IEMs. The only IEMs I've ever used from them are the S4 and I hated them. I'm just worried that the lack of knowledge of those will come back to bite me

If you have a guitar center nearby, they usually carry them.  Mine let me try the 940s out, and it's what convinced me to buy them.

They are brutally clear and sound GREAT with acoustic music and I also enjoyed them quite a bit with rock and and pop type stuff.  You'll get varying opinions on them, though.  The treble is highly emphasized which is not something that all people love.  Many people refer to them as bass shy, which I understand but don't agree with.  The bass is very clean and defined and present on music that requires it.  It's definitely not thumpy or loud by any means, though, which means that these aren't the best for electronic or dance music.

The downside to the incredible detail and clarity is that if flaws exist in the recording, you WILL hear them.  They are not forgiving at all.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20101025-47/a-sure-bet-shures-new-flagship-srh940-headphones/
http://www.headfonia.com/shure-srh-940-detail-monster/

I've got mine up for sale right now, but I waver on it every day.  I really do hate to give them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back