Best headphones for bass under $200 buyers guide UPDATED
Jan 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #196 of 272
 I kind of took a hiatus from review posting =)
Quote:
You didn't like those Q40 as you never got around to write about them? I love mine at least. :D

relax it was a joke........did working in customer support also make you extremely uptight?

Quote:
I'm sure that gives them incentive to give you a deal. I know when ever people get snappy with me on the phone at work I won't tell them about specials we have going and so on. Yea it may seem rude or stupid of me to do so but dealing with rude customer after rude customer you really stop caring.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #197 of 272
Yes.Just like RPGWizard very nicely elaborated.They are extraordinary sounding cans.They reproduce every frequency well without any muddiness or bloat or bass overshadow.The only thing they do not excel at is sound stage.But these are monitor headphones which are faithful to the source.And the bass really shines when amplified.Have to be heard amped to really appreciate them.I just bought the Sony MDRXB700s recently.And for the money they sound really nice.But still,for me i haven't heard a headphone yet that puts out bass like the Q40s did.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #198 of 272

Quote:
Are you sure you meant to use the word balanced when we're talking about basshead models? 
wink.gif

I googled the studiophiles, they seem pretty good, although open. How much did you get them for?

I think i paid around $140 at Canada Computers.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #199 of 272

Quote:
 I kind of took a hiatus from review posting =)

relax it was a joke........did working in customer support also make you extremely uptight?

No, the hordes of idiots clamoring for handouts and better deals all the while being insanely rude did; Well on this subject at least. sorry I reacted like that I hadn't eaten dinner yet and was getting a little snappy.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #201 of 272
hahaha i hear you brother I worked at best buy in college.

Quote:
No, the hordes of idiots clamoring for handouts and better deals all the while being insanely rude did; Well on this subject at least. sorry I reacted like that I hadn't eaten dinner yet and was getting a little snappy.

the places i bought the headphones from are listed next to the cans themselves and all are NON sale prices and can be had at any time.

Quote:
So... can anyone find a D2000 at $200? 'cause I sure can't.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #202 of 272

Quote:
hahaha i hear you brother I worked at best buy in college.

the places i bought the headphones from are listed next to the cans themselves and all are NON sale prices and can be had at any time.

uah the D2000 are back to 350 on J&R...just sayan, they can be found for 250-300 or so on amazon.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #207 of 272

Quote:

Well the Q40 do sound balanced despite being basshead material and very clearly so, the mids and highs are just unusually even and neutral despite the bass is boosted severly. There's a slight peak around 8~10kHz area which tames down with burn-in but I stuffed a piece of paper roll underneath the pads which have holes in them on the underside and bringing the drivers further apart from the ears and covering the holes seems to tame down the peak ever so slightly and possibly increase the soundstage a little as well.

Like so

compare to stock:

They are closed (the grille at the back is mostly for asthetics) but I opened them up and saw it actually has a few very tiny holes left open at the back of the cup (invisible from the outside) in 4 places of the cup (the corners). It still has quite decent isolation though but not excellent (but without these holes the soundstage would probably suck).

I've been thinking whether I should remove the foam ring in the middle surrounding the driver though but since I've been so pleased with the sound anyway I haven't dared to do it in case I'd regret it. It's just I'm thinking the soundstage might be further improved by removing this ring.

These have like previous person very well extended, textured, accurate but strong bass response but are at same time very detailed. Mine has held up great so far and I hope they continue to do so, I've heard the cable is what usually breaks easily but haven't heard much about the drivers themselves dying. I thought the included cable is actually quite good, typical studio headphone cable that is quite thick but yea since it's removable and it's using standard sized 3.5mm headphone jacks on the both ends u can easily buy your own stereo cable for it.

These are my clear favorites so far as they do great in the whole frequency response range (boosted bass + neutral mids & highs). I paid 99 EUR for mine, they usually go for $120 streetprice lowest in US. Sound wise comparing between all headphones I've tried they are easily worth to me at least ~$150 stock without any mods or EQing. They do like some amping to get the most out of the bass response especially, they  seem to become more dynamic and fun sounding with a little amping to it. Together with ZO2 amp makes me smile whenever I put any bassy hardstyle song on, it just sounds like it's supposed to, like listening to a pair of KRK monitor speakers which are popular among hardstyle producers. I can wear them for hrs and hrs without any issues regarding comfort (beware they do clamp above average at first but despite so it's not uncomfortable to me at least) or sweat and they are also quite lightweight despite being quite huge in size (they look bigger in real life than on the photos).

Do not remove the foam rings.I did that once with a pair of JVC headphones and the bass was severely affected.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #208 of 272

Quote:
Do not remove the foam rings.I did that once with a pair of JVC headphones and the bass was severely affected.

Yea I know the ring is there to increase bass response but the ring on JVC is also a very solid rubber ring while it's only a foam ring on Q40 so I doubt it has as much affect on bass on Q40 as the JVCs. Besides I have digiZoid ZO2 amp I can just increase the bass boost a step or two if it becomes weaker, I'm just interested if it improves soundstage or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back