Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 81
Well if I do end up getting them, what version should i get? Don't forget, they need to be able to be driven with the internal Amp.

The 32ohm and 80ohm will work on onboard for sure. The 250 ohm might need an amp but usually the 250 is much cheaper anyway so that's the one you should go for and just try it on your motherboard and if you need an amp you can buy one and the cost will come out to the same. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 81
Well, the DT770s seem like great headphones, but I'm looking for alternatives to. Would like something more bass light and that has a wide soundstage (need to hear little details in gaming), but still meets the criteria I listed. The DT770s come close, but they may be to bass heavy.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 81
Are you planning on using them outdoors? Moving around a few times a day seems that you are just going to move around the house, my presumption is probably wrong though.

Philips X1 would be perfect for all your purposes, if you only used them at home where leak wouldn't matter.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 81
DT770 's bass is best amped...
yamaha mt220 still gets my vote. 

----------------
i hvnt heard the 598, there is one on sale now...$125
http://www.head-fi.org/t/712408/summer-blowout-cardas-reflektor-psvane-sennheiser-vinyl-flat

Just saw this post..post #3

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 81
Are you planning on using them outdoors? Moving around a few times a day seems that you are just going to move around the house, my presumption is probably wrong though.

Philips X1 would be perfect for all your purposes, if you only used them at home where leak wouldn't matter.

That is correct. I occasionally move from the desk, to the table, to couch. I'll look into the X1s. How are they for gaming?

DT770 's bass is best amped...
yamaha mt220 still gets my vote. 

----------------
i hvnt heard the 598, there is one on sale now...$125
http://www.head-fi.org/t/712408/summer-blowout-cardas-reflektor-psvane-sennheiser-vinyl-flat

Just saw this post..post #3

No 598s then. On the Yamaha's, do you mind giving me a few reasons for them over something like DT770s? I would look it up myself, but info on them is quite hard to find.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #24 of 81
I've found that wanting a headphone for gaming and for being mobile is tough to balance.

Generally open headphones work far better for gaming, at least in my experience. The sound stage and open sense you get really helps for immersion in video games. Open headphones for mobile purposes just don't work at all because of the sound leaking in/out, so automatically it's a big problem.

I personally can't use anything on ear when outside, especially when it's warm. A better option would be to grab a $200 pair of headphones for gaming (maybe cheaper), and a nice set of in ears for being out and about (you can get a decent set for $50)

I use a set of HiFiMAN HE400's at home with a Schiit Magni and Modi amp/dac for music and gaming, and I use a set of Audeo 012 in ears for being out and about. This is significantly over your budget, but you get the idea.

MLE has a great guide on selection of gaming headphones for many price ranges here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added

edit: Reading your post again made me realize maybe you just mean mobile as in moving around your home and not out doors
tongue.gif
either way, the reviews from MLE on the gaming side of things might help you out!

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 81
The leaking sound does not matter to me. When I say moving around, I mean around the house. They don't need to be mobile in the sense of walking out and about. Just movable around the house.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #26 of 81
That is correct. I occasionally move from the desk, to the table, to couch. I'll look into the X1s. How are they for gaming?
No 598s then. On the Yamaha's, do you mind giving me a few reasons for them over something like DT770s? I would look it up myself, but info on them is quite hard to find.

Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HPH-MT220-Headphones-iTunes-Bundle/dp/B00GP657FQ

Ermm...it is light...v easily powered, big tall enveloping sound...high realism on vocals...quite balanced.. good clarity.
( i dun play games...but i do enjoy soundtracks on this can. )

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #27 of 81

The X1 is great for gaming. 

This here is your friend

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added

Look at the Philips X1 entry.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #28 of 81
The two things that are standing out to me right now are:

Phillips X1s
Beyer DT770s

Is there anything that's a good middle ground? The Phillips are awesome it seems, but they're open. While it's not a big deal, I do have family and don't necessarily want them listening to my stuff. The DT770s are closed and seem nice, but they are probably to bass heavy.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #29 of 81
I have both the X1 and DT 770/80. While I enjoy both for sound and comfort, I surely don't use them on the move because the X1's are open, the DT 770's chord is so long, and both are a little to big. For mobility and ease to drive I much prefer the Koss Porta Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back