Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #61 of 81
I think I've decided on the 990s. While from what I hear they sound slightly worse, they provide much better isolation from external sounds and are slightly better about sound leakage. And, they do better without a amp. I won't have a amp for around a year, and even then it probably won't be a portable one.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #63 of 81
If you don't understand audio terms, maybe auditioning the cans via a fair returns policy may be more desirable. I'll add an explanation to what i mean by those terms in a little bit.

Quote:
  Pardon my ignorance, but what factors make a headphone good or bad for gaming?  

And what factors are usually in play when listening to electronica?  Other than Bass, that is.  

Gaming requires soundstage, imaging, bass tightness/control and need to convey positional cues well. For fun factor bass rumble may be desirable. 

Grado's are typically not a first choice because their compressed soundstage and their imaging is not its strongest suit. Positional cues are not picked up too well. 

For electronic music depending on the genre mind you, you would probably desire well extended bass, dynamics. speed, imaging ability as well as soundstage. It all comes down to preferences though, I have seen more than one person listen to edm with a grado, albeit rare - more power to em I say. I just find Grados a bit too compressed and edgy/peaky for electronic and their bass is not the deepest or most controlled. Mind you there are heaps of electronic genres - to someone not invested in the style it may sound all the same as mainstream edm like many mainstream styles show not even the tip of the iceberg of what can be found in terms of quality.

Likewise Grado cans are remarkable for other genres due the intimacy and forwardness.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #65 of 81
KRK KNS 8400. It's the only headphone at that price range I never had problems switching back to after using summit-fi phones.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #73 of 81
The bass of the KNS 8400 depends on amping. Hook them up to a beefy punchy SS amp and it can kick. A Fiio or something like that won't cut it. Having said that, the new updated headphone jack on my Macbook pro Retina drives them really well. I like it more than my previous E10 even.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #74 of 81
Columbia, MO

But really I just want to know how the K612 Pros are (for me, which is gaming AND electronica)

Oh and along with those how are the KNS8400s?

Neither (even amped) will give you the kind of bass you want 
rich, full, "fat" yet nominally accurate at the same time

Have you considered the Shure SR 840?
By no means is it a favorite of mine,
but it's in your price range and has
a lot of what you've described as
important to you

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #75 of 81
I can't seem to find much gaming info on those Shures. I was looking at the NuForce HP 800s, how are those?

And what about Fostex T50rps?

Oh, and in the most basic terms possible: What are imaging and soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back