Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #76 of 81
I can't seem to find much gaming info on those Shures.

Oh, and in the most basic terms possible: What are imaging and soundstage?

Soundstage is the feeling of space in a recording produced by your headphones.  Basically, the bigger the soundstage the more the headphones sound like speakers.  Think of it as perceiving sound as coming from a small field around your head, rather than directly into your ears.

Imaging is the ability of a headphone to pinpoint specific instruments or general sounds in the soundstage.  The better the imaging, the more precisely you can locate specific sounds (especially useful in gaming), and the less that different sounds appear to blend together.

That's my interpretation of the terms.  It may not be perfect.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #77 of 81
I can't seem to find much gaming info on those Shures. I was looking at the NuForce HP 800s, how are those?

And what about Fostex T50rps?

Oh, and in the most basic terms possible: What are imaging and soundstage?

(Got bumped down, want to make sure people see all my questions)

OK, thanks. So it seems to me that imaging is more important for gaming. So why is everyone talking about soundstage?

By the way guys, right now I'm leaning towards a pair of used DT 770s. Is there anything that's genuinely better then this for Electronica/Gaming? I should note that I listen to many genres, espially to Alt Rock and pop. Electronic is my main one though.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #78 of 81
(Got bumped down, want to make sure people see all my questions)

OK, thanks. So it seems to me that imaging is more important for gaming. So why is everyone talking about soundstage?

By the way guys, right now I'm leaning towards a pair of used DT 770s. Is there anything that's genuinely better then this for Electronica/Gaming? I should note that I listen to many genres, espially to Alt Rock and pop. Electronic is my main one though.

Because with a small soundstage, imaging naturally can't be as precise because there isn't enough space to accurately pinpoint the sounds, or measure (not actual measurements of course) the distance between sounds.  Everything sounds squished together, no matter how good the imaging may be by itself.  Basically, on a headphone with a tiny soundstage, imaging is less pronounced because everything sounds closer together.

If you game competitively at all, I would definitely recommend an open headphone over a closed headphone, as open headphones are generally noticeably better at soundstage/imaging, which are very significant factors for gaming.  An open headphone with enough bass to satisfy your electronica needs would be the Philips X1.  The HE400 would work as well, but is less comfortable and needs an amp.  Unless you need the isolation or have cravings for extreme bass, you should choose open over closed.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #79 of 81
Ah okay, thanks

Yeah I want either of those headphones but my budget has been pushed down to $150 max. I just figured out Mad Lust Envy uses virtual surround emulation, so his competitive ratings are not really what I might rate them (I use a PC, no MixAmp or any of that). I was looking at K701s but most people say they're not that great at gaming.

Here's a question I have: putting all Electronica, bass, etc. Aside, what is the absolute best competitive headphones (which generally means amazing positional accuracy) you guys can think of for around $150. Not that I'll get them, but it's something I'd like to think about.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #80 of 81
Ah okay, thanks

Yeah I want either of those headphones but my budget has been pushed down to $150 max. I saw the AKG K701/2s (used). They apparently are freaking amazing for gaming according to Mad Lust Envy, though they aren't "fun" which kinda stinks I suppose, but may be worth it if they really are that great. What do you guys think? I mean, I'm okay if they aren't great at Electronica as long as they're that good at gaming. If they really just plain sucknfor Electronica, then I'm not interested.

Well, the K/Q701 is definitely one of the best choices at that price for gaming, but they definitely don't have boosted bass, which a lot of people find favorable for electronica, and they lack in sub-bass (something a lot of open headphones lack in), especially without an amp.  There is a simple mod you can perform that will increase the volume of the bass, which basically consists of pulling a sticker off of the driver.  The mod is safe and can be reversed.  There is also the DT990, which definitely has plenty of bass for electronica, but there is a treble spike that some people dislike, and it isn't as good for gaming as the Q701 (nothing in the same price range really is).  There is also the SoundMAGIC HP200, but that is slightly over your $150 price range as I don't see any used pairs for sale.

If you can get a a cheap FiiO amp somewhere down the line, it would definitely benefit the Q701, plus you would have the option of adjusting the bass to your liking.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #81 of 81
The DT990s would be my first choice if they weren't to expensive.

I noticed that all Mad Lust usally does for positioning is just use a MixAmp and the headphones themselves. Can I emulaute something like this on PC? Like is there any sound card that does the same thing as the MixAmp (some sort of Dolby thing)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back