Best headphones for $200 +/-?
Aug 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #46 of 81
Thanks. Yeah there's a lot of sub genres but I tend to listen to a lot of them. I will probably use the 558s as a third choice if the crap hits the fan.

Can't I use a EQ if the DT770 has to much bass?

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #48 of 81
Go for the custom one pros you can find them relatively cheap on ebay, I got the white ones for 129.99 awhile ago from ProAudioStar, I think they ran out though, they'd seem to fit the bill and be better without an amp then those DT770s which sound a bit more shrill.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #49 of 81
According to one guy (and he seemed to know what he was talking about somewhat) the 770s have better highs, lows, and mids as well as a better soundstage then the Custom One Pros. The advantages of the COPs are the portability and the looks. Don't care about looks on headphones (I use eaebuds for outside use), the portability is nice (lighter and has less Ohms) but I need neither. Most things can drive 80 Ohm DT770s (much less X1s) and if they can't I'd get a Fiio, I'm not gonna sacrifice that much sound quality for lesser impedance.

And musicure, I mean EQing it to reduce the bass so I can game better, not to replace a Amp and DAC.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #50 of 81
Thanks. Yeah there's a lot of sub genres but I tend to listen to a lot of them. I will probably use the 558s as a third choice if the crap hits the fan.

Can't I use a EQ if the DT770 has to much bass?

According to one guy (and he seemed to know what he was talking about somewhat) the 770s have better highs, lows, and mids as well as a better soundstage then the Custom One Pros. The advantages of the COPs are the portability and the looks. Don't care about looks on headphones (I use eaebuds for outside use), the portability is nice (lighter and has less Ohms) but I need neither. Most things can drive 80 Ohm DT770s (much less X1s) and if they can't I'd get a Fiio, I'm not gonna sacrifice that much sound quality for lesser impedance.

And musicure, I mean EQing it to reduce the bass so I can game better, not to replace a Amp and DAC.

It's not the best use of your money or listening time for you to
buy headphones with the idea of using an equalizer for them.

Better to get the sound signature and tonality balance in your
favor and to your liking right up front.

Otherwise, it's sort of like...(hmmm, have to come up with an
analogy here) - it's sort of like buying shoes that are too big
with the idea that you're going to fill them with padding of
some type.  Better to get shoes that fit from the beginning.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #51 of 81
I've tried both and sold my DT770 250ohm pros

I definitely prefer the COPs

DT770 (Tested with over 4 sources):
1. Sibilant earpiercing treble with many amps and even felt over the drivers (might be because I'm young and still have my ability to hear high frequencies)
2. Only good SUB bass, some songs sounded like there was a subwoofer on my head while others were left dull and lifeless (It has this huge dip in the middle of the bass frequencies which a lot of songs I listened to had)
3. Mids were pretty weak
4. Admit it was a lot more comfortable with it's velour pads
5. SLIGHTLY wider soundstage

COP (Tested with 4 sources):
1. Couldn't get these things to be sibilant if I tried, very good on young people's ears that can hear treble well enough without having it be sibilant
2. Bass was even all around and the Bass switch isn't a gimmick like a lot of people think it will be.  So have it how you want it.
3. Mids IMO are better than the DT770,
4. Removable cable (long studio cables can be nice, but they can get real annoying and heavy or you run it over with your chair and it's like....damn.)
5. Not as big of a soundstage, but if you want a soundstage get a DT990 or maybe the DT880, I loved my DT990 but yet to try a DT880.
6. Do wish they came with the velour earpads like the DT770s, I might pick some up later on, but they are still comfortable nonetheless.

So this is all just my opinion take everything with a grain of cocaine.
Basically what I'm saying is if you are sensitive to high frequencies (young, or just sensitive for whatever reason) stay the hell away from DT770s
If you want something portable, adjustable to your bass needs go for the COP it has 4 settings 1 No Bass 2 Pretty nice even bass 3 Pumped up but not excessive 4 WUB WUB WUB.

Note there will be slight differences between the 80ohm and 250ohm models, more than you'd think, and less than you'd believe.

Honestly if they would just make an 80ohm DT990 pro that would be a perfect headphone for a lot of people.

And about EQing with DT770s it's annoying to have to EQ your headphones with everything you plug it into and it's usually going to have to be some digital eq that'll sound a tad unnatural.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #52 of 81
The DT990s are open and cost near as much as X1s, so that's not gonna happen. Well it seems that you like the COPs. Does anybody else have an opinion and if you do, do you think it will match my requirements better then 770s?

Wow they actually have a bass switch. Seems kinda childish.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #56 of 81
Okay guys, somebody just offered me either BNIB Beyer DT990 32 Ohm or used HE 400s for my phone. Which one should I take? I know the 990s are pretty great from what you've guys said in the thread, but how about HE 400s? What's the impendince on them?

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #57 of 81
The HE400 are a fantastic headphone, but they have have a coloured sound with often strident highs. They are superb for EDM, not sure about gaming - I didn't game with mine when I had them. The HE400 have a wonky midrange - upper mids somewhat depressed compared to the treble and lower mids.

You have to realise impedance is not everything, headphones also have a sensitivity rating, some low ohm headphones are very hard to drive like the HE6. Some high ohm cans are not that hard to drive either. Straight out of a PC or phone without amping the HE400 won't be at their full potential - these are easy to drive planar at least compared to other Hifimans. You may consider an amp for them. 

The DT990 is a strongly bright can, if you are concerned about DT770 having strident highs then forget the DT990. The DT990 is impressive in terms of soundstage and imaging - but you satisfaction with them would depend on how you go with their elevated treble. 

I'd stick safe with the X1 personally. I also wouldn't consider the DT770 or Custom one pro to be in the same league as the DT990, HE400 or X1.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #58 of 81
Thanks, but the thing is, I'm not completely sure what a lot of those terms mean, like wonky midrange, or elevated treble. I only have the slightest idea what they mean.

And BTW I will be getting a Amp and DAC within a year.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #59 of 81
Pardon my ignorance, but what factors make a headphone good or bad for gaming?  

And what factors are usually in play when listening to electronica?  Other than Bass, that is.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #60 of 81
I'm pretty much a noob to this, but I guess for a headphone to be good at gaming it needs to have good but not overpowering bass and a wide soundstage. For electronica, not quite sure tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back